Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-02-2005, 21:38   #16
God Member

Re: whats the point

Dosn't religion have a lot to do with your personal moral valus tho too? Plus yes like you said, a lot seems to have changed, lots gets chucked in to the syllabus, but i'd have thought one of the main parts of RE was treating your neighbours well etc.. Just depends how you interpret it I guess
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-02-2005, 21:41   #17
Senior Member+

I thought that the letters RE still stood for Religious Education.

Has this changed as well?

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2005, 21:44   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr
Dosn't religion have a lot to do with your personal moral valus tho too? Plus yes like you said, a lot seems to have changed, lots gets chucked in to the syllabus, but i'd have thought one of the main parts of RE was treating your neighbours well etc.. Just depends how you interpret it I guess
I don't think that religion has made any difference to my own personal morals.
I am not religious in the slightest and never have been, but I think I have good morals and am a good person. Morals are mainly taught to you by your parents, your teachers, life in general ect......... I think it is the world in general that teaches us morals.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2005, 21:50   #19
Resident Waffler

I think you get your moral values from your upbringings which usually means parents and grandparents.

People can have good moral values without following any particular religion.

I also thought that R.E. was meant to teach about a religion or comparative religions as an academic subject.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2005, 21:52   #20
God Member

Well hm. I guess here comes my little theory on how God exists in a different sense to me, or dosn't exist as it may be..

I belive that we are born with the thought of God somewhere in our brains, as sort of an instinct. I think it's natures way of morals and what not, yes you get taught them by parents and whatever, but theres a point where you become self aware of the morals even at an early age.. This 'instinct' helps us live our lives in a good way (most of us) and basicly, we arnt walking in God's garden, we are walking in his house, God is the world.. he IS the creation.. blah.. i'm rambling

Don't ask anyone to agree with me, just thats my opinion (although somewhat shortened down )
Old 24-02-2005, 21:56   #21
Resident Waffler

Interesting. I think I follow that. Where does it go wrong though from having the correct moral values?

Where do the baddies come into it? I'm thinking of one particular family that I know who seem to have no moral values whatsoever and the young son was proud of his older brother being in jail.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2005, 21:58   #22
Passed away 25-11-09

History is a fascinating subject - if it's taught in the right way. History is about life and the way it was lived. It's about how you and your country became what you are. It's not HIS story - it's YOURS. Look behind the "dry" facts, the dates, the wars etc. and look at the people who were part of it all. The people who fought at Waterloo were just like you. They had homes and families and rents to pay and food to provide. Look at the Industrial Revolution - it's about your ancestors, especially in Lancashire because Cotton played such a big part in it. Did you grandparents live through WW1 or WW2? They are part of History - and so are you.

Just a thought, but what's so good about making a teacher cry? Is it funny if a teacher makes a pupil cry?
Old 24-02-2005, 22:00   #23
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cafu01
History is good, we have Mr Mchale (moorhead), do you remember him slinky

RE is absolute crap, its boring, if i wanted to be a vicar then fair enough but i dont lol
top bloke mr mchale or curley toes as we called him ( behind his back of course) lol

history was good until it got onto ww1 and ww2 thaty had to be the vrappest most boring history subjects in teh world
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2005, 22:03   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Interesting. I think I follow that. Where does it go wrong though from having the correct moral values?

Where do the baddies come into it? I'm thinking of one particular family that I know who seem to have no moral values whatsoever and the young son was proud of his older brother being in jail.
I'm not that great at expressing myself so I forgive if you don't fully understand what I mean , my friend translated it to another way of seeing it..
God is an instinct... therefore, due to natural selection, those who have morals survive better, therefore it's simply an off shoot of evolution
Oh course, the baddies can still get by I don't really have a very good explaination for it yet.. That's extreamly interesting as I'd never thought about that, however I will now *gets thinking*
Old 25-02-2005, 11:30   #25

[QUOTE=Just a thought, but what's so good about making a teacher cry? Is it funny if a teacher makes a pupil cry?[/QUOTE]
They're not allowed to do that anymore or the little darlings will sue them!

When I was at school corporal punishment had already been abolished so the teachers were wide open to this sort of abuse but funnily enough it was only the kids in the remedial classes(TAFC) that did it.
Old 25-02-2005, 11:35   #26
God Member

[QUOTE=Alice]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a thought, but what's so good about making a teacher cry? Is it funny if a teacher makes a pupil cry?[/QUOTE
They're not allowed to do that anymore or the little darlings will sue them!

When I was at school corporal punishment had already been abolished so the teachers were wide open to this sort of abuse but funnily enough it was only the kids in the remedial classes(TAFC) that did it.
My point was IF you read it!! that in history I learnt more because the teacher could actually control the class. So before you start with ''why do you think it is funny??'' atitude, I was'nt insinuating that it WAS GOOD to make teachers cry.

Miracles do happen!!

Old 25-02-2005, 11:48   #27

[QUOTE
It made me chuckle the other day though, the french teacher mrs. williamson must have had it bad, because she is now a care assistant for an agency that our work place used last week, when she walked in I nearly died (but chuckled and thought mmmmmm gonna get your husband on me if I make you cry now)hehehehehehehe[/QUOTE]
He he he?
Old 25-02-2005, 11:55   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke orourke 1988
Dean what was the name of that english teacher that used to always cry cause the pupils were ohrrible and she couldn't control the class
mrs wittam the year 9's took her clock down and hid it and she had a break down
Old 25-02-2005, 11:57   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorlon24
I thought that the letters RE still stood for Religious Education.

Has this changed as well?
no it still means religious education or RE
Old 25-02-2005, 12:01   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice
[QUOTE
It made me chuckle the other day though, the french teacher mrs. williamson must have had it bad, because she is now a care assistant for an agency that our work place used last week, when she walked in I nearly died (but chuckled and thought mmmmmm gonna get your husband on me if I make you cry now)hehehehehehehe
He he he?[/QUOTE]
YES BECAUSE BELIEVE ME IT DIDN'T TAKE MUCH!! not by me personally but there were some evil gits that did manage to. And anyway why become a teacher of nasty teenagers if you know that you are not up to disciplining them, I know I couldn't therefore I WOULDN'T.
If they find your weaknesses they have got you by the short and curles, just how teenagers are I suppose.

Miracles do happen!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..