Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-12-2011, 11:34   #31
I am Banned

Re: Where will this madness end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelly baby View Post
we are currently on holiday in the gambia which is a muslim country. there are xmas trees and decoration all over the place. the gambins go all out to make the holidaymakers feel welcome and are only too happy to share in the festivities. btw its 40c today and we are enjoying a beer at the poolside. its a hard life. back to reality monday.
Gambia was part of the commonwealth for many years and Groove believes thats why they have the traditions of Christmas.
groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-12-2011, 12:04   #32
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove View Post
Gambia was part of the commonwealth for many years and Groove believes thats why they have the traditions of Christmas.
Nearly but not quite, Groove, quote from Wikipedia: On 18 February 1965, Gambia gained independence from the United Kingdom and joined The Commonwealth.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 14:57   #33
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimaster View Post
no i haven't as I said, I do not agree with abolishing christmas in schools but I do believe it should be a multi-cultural event to INCLUDE all faiths and cultures and not forced christianity. I agree the teacher went TOO far.
I reckon I've worked out why you choose to reside in a deep, dark hole. Takes all sorts. Christmas, for me and mine, has always been about family and children. What better reward is there than to see the grin on a child's face come Christmas morning. Works for me.

Last edited by Stumped; 18-12-2011 at 15:00.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 15:37   #34
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
no i haven't as I said, I do not agree with abolishing christmas in schools but I do believe it should be a multi-cultural event to INCLUDE all faiths and cultures and not forced christianity. I agree the teacher went TOO far.
How thick are you?

Christmas, it sort of gives you a clue, it isn't multicultural it is a celebration for Christian's for the birth of their Messiah.
The guy they celebrate does feature in other religions but in a lesser role, he is recognised by, for example Jews & Muslims, but isn't the son of God.
Christianity, Judaism or being a Muslim isn't an interfaith thing, they have similarities but they have differences.
To say to a Christian become multicultural must surely be as much of an insult as to force other religions to celebrate Christmas against their will.
The idea surely is tolerance?
When a Christian celebrates Christmas, the others say, good luck to you have a good time, they don't expect or want a compromise, you enjoy your beliefs, lets all thank our respective God(s) that society allows us all to celebrate in our own idealistic ways without the threat of being hung drawn & quartered.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 16:49   #35
Senior Member+

The muslim children still get a holiday from school at christmas
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 16:54   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
The muslim children still get a holiday from school at christmas
Of course they do, the schools are shut.
I dare say any Christian kids living in a muslim Country also find the schools shut when there are celebrations going on.
Old 18-12-2011, 17:43   #37
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
How thick are you?

Christmas, it sort of gives you a clue, it isn't multicultural it is a celebration for Christian's for the birth of their Messiah.
The guy they celebrate does feature in other religions but in a lesser role, he is recognised by, for example Jews & Muslims, but isn't the son of God.
Christianity, Judaism or being a Muslim isn't an interfaith thing, they have similarities but they have differences.
To say to a Christian become multicultural must surely be as much of an insult as to force other religions to celebrate Christmas against their will.
When a Christian celebrates Christmas, the others say, good luck to you have a good time, they don't expect or want a compromise, you enjoy your beliefs, lets all thank our respective God(s) that society allows us all to celebrate in our own idealistic ways without the threat of being hung drawn & quartered.
Well I never thought I'd say this, but that Less, was a first class post, to the point with no messing about, think it makes the point very succinctly, brilliant
Old 18-12-2011, 18:05   #38
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well I never thought I'd say this, but that Less, was a first class post, to the point with no messing about, think it makes the point very succinctly, brilliant
Hear, hear.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 18:39   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
with no messing about,
I do apologise normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.
Old 19-12-2011, 00:38   #40
Senior Member+

Quote:
How thick are you?

correct me if I am wrong but the festival celebrated at this time of year was and always has been the midwinter festival, well before the so called arrival of this character they call jesus. Christianity jumped on the bandwagon and took over this festival as their own to incorporate and include the pagan and celtic indigenous people of this country therefore turning it into a multicultural event. It is also I believe, that it is a well known fact that this jesus character was born nowhere near december. NOW WHO'S THE THICK ONE? and in future please try to make your posts a little less personal as if you were to actually meet me you would find that I am a little more intelligent than you seem to think!
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 01:02   #41

Quote:
correct me if I am wrong but the festival celebrated at this time of year was and always has been the midwinter festival, well before the so called arrival of this character they call jesus. Christianity jumped on the bandwagon and took over this festival as their own to incorporate and include the pagan and celtic indigenous people of this country therefore turning it into a multicultural event. It is also I believe, that it is a well known fact that this jesus character was born nowhere near december. NOW WHO'S THE THICK ONE? and in future please try to make your posts a little less personal as if you were to actually meet me you would find that I am a little more intelligent than you seem to think!
There was a winter celebration by the Pagans and if you wish to think it has been taken over by the Christians your welcome to do so.

However that does not mean that Christians in what is claimed to be a Christian Country, should have to compromise their beliefs just to make Christmas fit in with other peoples desires for a mid winter jollification.

As an atheist I shan't be celebrating the birth of Gods son, but I won't be demanding that they should change their celebration to fit in with any plans I may have.
Old 19-12-2011, 07:14   #42
Beacon of light

As Less said previously, it is all about tolerance of one anothers views and beliefs.
And at this time of year it doesn't matter what religion you are.......you can be tolerant.....it costs nothing and hurts no-one and is better than the alternative.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 08:24   #43
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
As Less said previously, it is all about tolerance of one another's views and beliefs.
And at this time of year it doesn't matter what religion you are.......you can be tolerant.....it costs nothing and hurts no-one and is better than the alternative.
Exactly right Margaret, but whats happening is dogooders have been second guessing what other denominations think and getting it totally wrong. If I went to live in a Muslim country I wouldn't expect them to change there celebrations to suit my beliefs, but neither do other denominations living here expect us to do either, and the clowns that like to think they are helping our multicultural society are having exactly the opposite effect
Old 20-12-2011, 15:18   #44
Senior Member+

Quote:

However that does not mean that Christians in what is claimed to be a Christian Country, should have to compromise their beliefs just to make Christmas fit in with other peoples desires for a mid winter jollification.

and there was me thinking we were a multicultural society! so much for your so called tolerance, personally I believe that everyone has the right to celebrate what they want, how they want. I celebrate the midwinter festival at the same time as others celebrate christmas yet you say I should compromise MY beliefs to fit around christan ones? very double standard if you ask me.
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 15:39   #45
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
and there was me thinking we were a multicultural society! so much for your so called tolerance, personally I believe that everyone has the right to celebrate what they want, how they want. I celebrate the midwinter festival at the same time as others celebrate christmas yet you say I should compromise MY beliefs to fit around christan ones? very double standard if you ask me.
Yer missing the point completely jedi, everyone certainly has the right to celebrate their beliefs, but they sure as hell aint any right to stop the host country celebrating theres.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..