Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-01-2005, 11:23   #31

Re: Who Fines Hyndburn Council?

Finally I can use my wheelie bin again. Stupid bin men. Stupid council.
Old 13-01-2005, 12:14   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
It would be impossible for it to blow anywhere Less. It's been rained on so much that the paper inside is a sodden mass and the whole thing weighs a ton. Next thing they'll be complaining that they don't take wet paper.
What's wet paper doing in your Wheelie? Why are'nt you sticking it in the recycling bag like everyone else? I think I'll send a letter to Councillor Britcliffe informing him of this situation.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2005, 10:14   #33
God Member

OK, not wishing to be left out, I will add my five-pennorth. Regular readers of my occaisionally less than complimentary opinions, will no doubt recall that unlike the majority of my neighbours I am not deemed suitable to have a wheelie bin and so must make do with storing my rubbish indoors in lurid orange sacks.

The bin men have been and gone this morning, and have taken away my refuse. No problem there, though let's face it folks it is hardly neurosurgery we are discussing here.

The street and grass verges are, however, a blizzard of litter now. There is a bit of a draft in the area this morning and the air is filled with truant luminous orange waste sacks. Presumably my neighbours will now have to resort to black bags in which to store their refuse for the next fortnight. The said black bags will not be collected when the bin men come again, because they are under instructions not to take them away. So they will probably find themselves dumped at the side of the road in a convenient layby or beauty spot. This of course will cause a great deal of nuisance, will attract vermin and will provide encouragement to other people who may be considering fly tipping. The end result is that it will cost 10 to 20 times more to clear the consequences than it would to simply take the bags away in the first place.

The thing that puzzles me is that previous to the change in collection arrangements my neighbours and I provided our own black refuse sacks. Thus costing the council nothing. Since they now insist on only taking refuse in the orange sacks which they provide, it strikes me that the service has become more expensive, not less. And is less effective in keeping the area clean, not more.
Old 14-01-2005, 23:16   #34
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
What's wet paper doing in your Wheelie? Why are'nt you sticking it in the recycling bag like everyone else? I think I'll send a letter to Councillor Britcliffe informing him of this situation.
The paper isn't in my wheelie bin. The wheelie bin was emptied as normal this week and one day later last week due to the Christmas period. My blue box and my blue bag were emptied last week as they should have been but the white sack containing papers for recycling was not emptied. This has remained outside my garden wall (as per council instructions) ever since then and been rained on so much that the paper inside is now a total sodden mess. Each day the council have informed me that without fail that day it would be dealt with. We have been away from home yesterday and today, just got back tonight and wonder of wonders the wretched thing is still there.

Neighbours across the road have the orange sacks like yours A-b due to various objections by the bin men to going down the back street there. I saw bags of various colours piled at the kerbside on Wednesday and I'm sure they were all collected. How come they'll do it in one area and not another? It wouldn't be so bad if they were at least consistent.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2005, 05:03   #35
God Member

That's the Third Commandment of local government -

THOU SHALT NOT BE CONSISTENT

Hmmm, This might be amusing. What, do you suppose, are the other 9 commandments of Local Government? Suggestions please!
Old 15-01-2005, 14:10   #36
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
That's the Third Commandment of local government -

THOU SHALT NOT BE CONSISTENT

Hmmm, This might be amusing. What, do you suppose, are the other 9 commandments of Local Government? Suggestions please!
I don't know about the other nine but number eleven would be:-

All of the above are subject to change without notice any-one wishing to enquire as to what the changes will be will be fobbed off with some vague excuse for why there is a need for change. Those foolish enough to demand to pray to a higher authority will be put on hold for a minimum of 40 days & 40 nights, finally put through to another department & told that there will be no change, ( the department they are put through to will be the finance department & the change they are talking about is for any money owed to you for over payment of Council Tax).
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2005, 21:37   #37
Resident Waffler

Latest sack report - still there.

Old 15-01-2005, 21:49   #38
God Member

It would be fun to see their reaction if, on Monday morning, you walked into Scaitcliffe House and dumped the bag at reception.
Old 15-01-2005, 21:57   #39
Resident Waffler

If I didn't have better things to do I would be sorely tempted. Of course it's probably going to be Wednesday when it finally goes - the next due date for collection.

Old 18-01-2005, 21:33   #40
Resident Waffler

BREAKING NEWS!

The recycling sack was collected today and I have received a brand new sack already for putting out tomorrow on the normal collection day.:engsmil:

It almost took them a fortnight but not quite.

Old 18-01-2005, 21:56   #41
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
BREAKING NEWS!

The recycling sack was collected today and I have received a brand new sack already for putting out tomorrow on the normal collection day.:engsmil:

It almost took them a fortnight but not quite.
HBC collection service
phone call to HBC......."I have a freezer thats needs removing"..........yes sir we can collect it, your name and post code (they are educated) please leave the gate open, we have a 14 day backlog. Fair enough christmas an all that.... But when can you collect it, sir just leave the gate open, we will collect within 14 days. The gate has now been banging against the wall for 10 days, wonder if they will collect.............before mi gate drops off.
Whats the alternative.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

Last edited by park381; 18-01-2005 at 21:57. Reason: Its Late OK spelling
park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2005, 22:29   #42

Hi Willow

Ref post no 53,

Sorry, not computer literate enough to outline the post, as others do.

Perhaps the 'sodden mess' can become a' papier mache' model of our beloved
leader Mr Britcliffe??

I'm sure there must be someone out there that can do it??

From what I've seen, perhaps Black Knight, or, if not, surely she will know someone??
KiTChener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2005, 23:08   #43

Sorry, post no. 30, I was looking at karma points when I said no. 53!!

Told you I'm useless on the PC!!!
Old 18-01-2005, 23:10   #44

Just got a 'PM', but can't seem to open it!!

Any advice??
Old 18-01-2005, 23:14   #45

Hey, thanks. Busman, just managed to bring up your Pm.
Will try next time, thanks for instructions!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..