Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-05-2010, 18:38   #31
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Who Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Hmmmm seem to remember you went alone to the Hare and Hounds Barrie
Come now Bernie, there are times, when a man needs to be alone ...... with a Pint. To reflect & ponder,replay & assimilate the direction of his life & the choices made, trust me it's a Bloke thing.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-05-2010, 19:04   #32
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Come now Bernie, there are times, when a man needs to be alone ...... with a Pint. To reflect & ponder,replay & assimilate the direction of his life & the choices made, trust me it's a Bloke thing.
Women just don't get it do they Dave
Old 26-05-2010, 19:35   #33
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Women just don't get it do they Dave
Not really, that is why we need these hallowed places, our Sanctuary, our Hermitage, plus they've got Sky Sport so you won't be battling over Footy or Miss Marples.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2010, 20:38   #34
Senior Member+

Quote:
Hmmmm seem to remember you went alone to the Hare and Hounds Barrie
You seem to delight in belittling me - if you think back it was only a resdearch project that required me to visit the H & H, besides the place was pretty crap even though they had Lancaster Bomber on draught.
Old 26-05-2010, 22:14   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
You seem to delight in belittling me - if you think back it was only a resdearch project that required me to visit the H & H, besides the place was pretty crap even though they had Lancaster Bomber on draught.
Belittle you never, in my defence I was going to say you were on a research mission chuck
Old 26-05-2010, 22:16   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Was just teasing him Dave, he went over to give the place the once over regarding having a meal there.
Old 27-05-2010, 09:56   #37
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Belittle you never, in my defence I was going to say you were on a research mission chuck
Flattery will get you everywhere Bernie
Old 27-05-2010, 11:49   #38
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Flattery will get you everywhere Bernie
No need for flattery from me really John Just telling it as it is
Old 27-05-2010, 16:13   #39
Senior Member+

Quote:
No need for flattery from me really John Just telling it as it is
Perhaps just a touch of embellishment - Who the hell cares, we had such a marvellous time and we enjoyed every moment of it LoL to you all
Old 27-05-2010, 17:21   #40
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
No....sorry. I can't help it, I am not really a fan of beer at all.......give me a cup of tea any day.
At the time, Beech Nut was a favourite of ours(I say 'ours' because I shared it with my brothers)....we rarely got sweets of any description......and OK Beech Nut wasn't sweets as such...but it was sweet and it lasted a long time.......something which enhanced its popularity with all of us.
I actually liked Wrigleys spearmint much better but at the time it 2d a packed...twice the price of Beech Nut...with no chance of an extra pack if you were the 4th person to buy from the machine.
I rarely got sweets either ... think it had something to do with the sugar coupon (and being broke) ... ah, the wonderful days of rationing Can't remember when sweets came off ration Might have been as late as '56; but by that time I was stealing them anyway. Still prefered beer tho'. Still do.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 18:30   #41
Beacon of light

Stealing??? Ma would have had forty thousand pink fits in ten seconds......would've had the priest in to give the sermon on hell, purgatory and damnation(he was o-irish so he knew all about those things)....my brother took 2d from her purse one morning(there was only 8d in it and he thought she wouldn't miss the two big copper ones......dumb lads huh)........she took him by the ear and dragged him all the way along Nuttall Street.......still firmly held by the ear, down to the Police Station.......the bobbies(who were a different breed then) locked him in a cell for 30 minutes, just to teach him the error of his ways......he got no tea that night and was sent to bed with a rumbly belly.
Aaaaaah, the good old days!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 09:30   #42
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Stealing??? Ma would have had forty thousand pink fits in ten seconds......would've had the priest in to give the sermon on hell, purgatory and damnation(he was o-irish so he knew all about those things)....my brother took 2d from her purse one morning(there was only 8d in it and he thought she wouldn't miss the two big copper ones......dumb lads huh)........she took him by the ear and dragged him all the way along Nuttall Street.......still firmly held by the ear, down to the Police Station.......the bobbies(who were a different breed then) locked him in a cell for 30 minutes, just to teach him the error of his ways......he got no tea that night and was sent to bed with a rumbly belly.
Aaaaaah, the good old days!
Hell they be bringing in Cherie Blair these days Margaret
Old 28-05-2010, 09:36   #43
Beacon of light

Yes, but in those days Jaysay adults took the lead and the children followed.......you did what you were told....or woe betide you.
Shame we can't put the clock back a few decades and let today's children have the same experiences.
Old 28-05-2010, 10:45   #44
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Yes, but in those days Jaysay adults took the lead and the children followed.......you did what you were told....or woe betide you.
Shame we can't put the clock back a few decades and let today's children have the same experiences.
Exactly Margaret thus my last post on this subject, the way we were brought up never never did us any harm and helped us on our way to adulthood, because of the namby pamby do gooders of today we now have situations we regularly read about and see on news programs, because kids aren't sent out on life's journey prepared in the right way anymore, yet these people still think that their methods work, give me the old fahioned ways any day
Old 28-05-2010, 12:08   #45
Beacon of light

Ma dragging my brother down to the police station taught him that his actions had consequences 1) time spent in a cell....along with a very stern telling off from the sergeant.
2) going to bed without tea. Ma explained to him that by taking money from her purse, he was taking the food out of all of our mouths....and so for that he could go to bed hungry.....because he had made a bad choice.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..