Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-05-2010, 08:07   #46
God Member

Re: Who Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Exactly Margaret thus my last post on this subject, the way we were brought up never never did us any harm and helped us on our way to adulthood, because of the namby pamby do gooders of today we now have situations we regularly read about and see on news programs, because kids aren't sent out on life's journey prepared in the right way anymore, yet these people still think that their methods work, give me the old fahioned ways any day
I thought you were Conservative (and, conservative); and here you are starting to sound like an Anarchist
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-05-2010, 08:12   #47
God Member

As this thread is entitled "Who Remembers", I have a question: what was the name of the store at the corner of Barnes St. and Sparth Road, opposite the Co-Op and kitty corner to the Forts Arms? I ask because there was a Beech Nut machine outside, on the Barnes St. side, that used to supply all my gum needs at no cost.
Old 29-05-2010, 08:19   #48
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I thought you were Conservative (and, conservative); and here you are starting to sound like an Anarchist

I can't quite see how the views that Jaysay put forward are anarchic.
I read his post and thought he was advocating a return to traditional values.......which was what Tony Blair advocated when he was campaigning in 1997...(making the punishment fit the crime, family values etc) Tany Blair was Labour wasn't he......Oh no, got that wrong he was new Labour....which was almost Conservative.

Sorry for the thread wander
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2010, 09:26   #49
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
No Eric just a realist who would like common sense and values back in society
Old 29-05-2010, 16:58   #50
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I can't quite see how the views that Jaysay put forward are anarchic.
I read his post and thought he was advocating a return to traditional values.......which was what Tony Blair advocated when he was campaigning in 1997...(making the punishment fit the crime, family values etc) Tany Blair was Labour wasn't he......Oh no, got that wrong he was new Labour....which was almost Conservative.

Sorry for the thread wander
Maybe I was twisting things a little, just for a goof. But all these "traditional" values people keep talking about are rooted in family (not in the sense that tories and Republicans mean it)) and community. And the Anarchy bit came in with the fact (sort of) that going along with this was a weak, distant, central government. When modern democracy came along friends, families, neighbours ... everyone ... delegated their power to representatives who then took it on themselves to become the new aristocracy. There have been numerous posts which have attacked how government deals with social problems, and often these suggest that government is doing a crappy job, much worse than communities and families could, and should, do for themselves. Your brother's trip to the cop shop and his time in the can is a fine example. When folks start to take back control of their lives, this is Anarchic ... it has nothing to do with riot or chaos.

I still would like some kind bottom ender to tell me the name of that store
Old 29-05-2010, 17:28   #51
Beacon of light

Eric I wish I could help you with your query, but I only came to Clayton in 1966.....so don't know about the shop you speak of.

Yes you are right in your observations about it being a family thing...these traditional values, and that successive governments have fostered dependence on the state for the solution of what are essentially family issues.
This dependence is calculated and in my opinion(which could be wrong, but hey-ho) to socially engineer communities who will vote for the party who has taken their(family, community, traditional) responsibilities over.

I now see the link you were making, in relation to anarchy........I was relating anarchy to a kind of public disobedience.
Old 30-05-2010, 08:58   #52
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Eric I wish I could help you with your query, but I only came to Clayton in 1966.....so don't know about the shop you speak of.

Yes you are right in your observations about it being a family thing...these traditional values, and that successive governments have fostered dependence on the state for the solution of what are essentially family issues.
This dependence is calculated and in my opinion(which could be wrong, but hey-ho) to socially engineer communities who will vote for the party who has taken their(family, community, traditional) responsibilities over.

I now see the link you were making, in relation to anarchy........I was relating anarchy to a kind of public disobedience.
You've been in Clayton since 1966 I'll be lookin for your name in the honours list Magaret
Old 30-05-2010, 11:22   #53
Beacon of light

Yes John, I married into Clayton.......and haven't moved.
I quite like it where I am......nice quiet street, neighbours who have been the same for more than 40 years.
Old 31-05-2010, 09:36   #54
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Yes John, I married into Clayton.......and haven't moved.
I quite like it where I am......nice quiet street, neighbours who have been the same for more than 40 years.
So there isn't the Clayton answer to Ranger St yet, then
Old 31-05-2010, 10:17   #55
Beacon of light

John, maybe I am having a blonde moment, but I am not quite sure what your question means.
Old 31-05-2010, 10:22   #56
Resting in Peace

Quote:
John, maybe I am having a blonde moment, but I am not quite sure what your question means.
Ranger St in Accy was taken over by out commonwealth brethren Margaret
Old 31-05-2010, 10:47   #57
Beacon of light

No John, but the brethren are advancing towards us.(this isn't racist it is just a fact)
Old 31-05-2010, 10:49   #58
Resting in Peace

Quote:
No John, but the brethren are advancing towards us.(this isn't racist it is just a fact)
Your spot on there Margaret, wasn't intended to be racist on my part just as you say a fact of life
Old 31-05-2010, 13:23   #59
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ranger St in Accy was taken over by out commonwealth brethren Margaret

You forgot Higher Antley St, Richmond Hill St, Ormerod St, Holden St and Hannah St.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2010, 13:26   #60
Beacon of light

I don't think we forgot them exactly...we just didn't mention them.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..