Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Regarding the wind farm on Ossy moors.
I am against the proposed wind farm. 7 17.50%
I am in favour of the proposed wind farm. 33 82.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-03-2010, 18:24   #61
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Wind farm poll.

i also don't think there that ugly, ya aint seen jaysay. also to bung em in the sea, would surely cost much more n therefore to me be passed on to us oiks no doubt.
Old 29-03-2010, 19:03   #62
Give, give, give member

Aesthetics are of course subjective, and we all like, and dislike, different things.

So we'll have to agree to disagree.

I am yet to see a wind farm that I find pleasing on the eye, even in Burnley!

In a natural environment, any man made structure 130 meters tall, and with a blade span of 122 meters, I find jarring, and ugly.

I'd find it equally unbalanced, and out of scale, if they were to build a 30 storey tower block on Blackburn Road, surrounded by mainly two storey houses.

As for costs. We may have 12,500 miles of coast line, but the land it surrounds is some of the most expensive real estate in the world.

It was economically viable to mine oil and gas from the North Sea, sustainable energy sources, from wind or tidal movement, will be relatively low. There'll be no need to pay individuals the millions of pounds in subsidies, that are currently being paid to land owners now.

I also think it's a national disgrace that we haven't invested heavily enough in renewable energy sources, and it is foreign companies that are coming to Britain to harvest the wind's power...and to make extraordinary, long term profits.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 19:07   #63
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Aesthetics are of course subjective, and we all like, and dislike, different things.

So we'll have to agree to disagree.

I am yet to see a wind farm that I find pleasing on the eye, even in Burnley!

How can ya say that?

I also think it's a national disgrace that we haven't invested heavily enough in renewable energy sources, and it is foreign companies that are coming to Britain to harvest the wind's power...and to make extraordinary, long term profits.
that i agree with, fact is we aint,so fer me owts better n nowt.
Old 29-03-2010, 19:15   #64
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Up at Dundee last year we were staying in a Hotel & got quite chatty with a Lad who deals with these Wind power firms & he suggested looking at the firm called "Quiet Revolution" they are making in roads into the British Market, but they don't do the massive things they have smaller more subtle gear. You can see them at Fleetwood.

quietrevolution | vertical axis wind turbines | small wind turbines | wind turbine manufacturer
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 19:34   #65
Give, give, give member

I'd just like to point out that I've nothing against windmills per se.

It's their scale, in relationship to their surroundings, I dislike.

I was brought up by a dad who had a keen interest in renewable energy.

As well as building our first swimming pool in the early seventies, which was heated by solar panels he'd designed and made himself, we were probably the only house in Lancashire to have electrically powered lights in the black outs, also in the seventies, because we had a twenty foot windmill on the top of the garage, cobbled together from church pews, wheelchairs, and lengths of drain pipes.

It might not have been aesthetically pleasing, my mum certainly thought not, but at least it was in an acceptable scale, and smaller than the house.

It became quite a tourist attraction for a while, much to my mum's horror.

Tidal power can be harvested at actual sea level, and wind farms designed for off-shore use can be floating structures, which can then be anchored, and/or moved as needed. Built on land, and towed to where the sites were.

We should be investing in technology to produce our own renewable enegy industry. It could create thousands of jobs, and provide much cheaper power in the future, rather than subsidising foreign companies, who then sell the harvested power back to the National Grid, at whatever grossly inflated prices they see fit.

Old 30-03-2010, 08:10   #66
Senior Member+

yes but would we have been happy with the winfarm on the coppice?
Old 30-03-2010, 08:41   #67
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loweiy View Post
yes but would we have been happy with the winfarm on the coppice?
'...a dozen councillors had been forced to leave the council chamber because of their involvement with Hyndburn environmental charity Prospects.'

'Under councillor guidelines, they were forced to declare an interest as the charity stands to gain around £5million over the 25-year life of the wind farm, due to a community fund pledged by the developers, combined with potential match funding.'
Oswaldtwistle Moor wind farm approved by councillors (From Lancashire Telegraph)

The next time the coffers are short of another £5 million quid, anywhere's a potential site.

Still, for those who think they're pleasing on the eye, at least they'll be able to watch the pretty windmils from the Clayton End, if Stanley aren't playing that well.

Old 30-03-2010, 11:09   #68
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:

Still, for those who think they're pleasing on the eye, at least they'll be able to watch the pretty windmils from the Clayton End, if Stanley aren't playing that well.

Oh gosh, here's my chance to be a nimby.

Oh my goodness horrible grey things stuck on the coppice how dare they have they no respect? Do they not know that the Coppice is sacred Ground, held hallow by all those locally that know where the bodies are buried?

Still on the plus side, we can bury anymore a little bit deeper When they are putting the footings in for these eyesores!

I know they try to get us to go green but I only thought that meant drinking 16 pints of bitter in 3 hours on a Saturday night, I didn't realise it would effect me in any other way.

Well it seems I'm not the nimby type, I would welcome them up there, they will help keep the town cool when Global warming hit's in.

Truly, though, I see no objection to them being up there, instead of some useless flying saucer idea that was bandied about a few years ago.

At least it would be a statement that, yes you keep nagging us about what we need to do for the future and we are prepared to do our little bit.

We could get the authorities to paint each blade a very bright colour and from a distance it would look like a crowd of kiddies have been busy building sandcastles on the beach at Blackpool.

With a few old discarded pallets we could even disguse them to look quite pleasant. See, more green stuff recycling old wood, it's a plus, plus situation.

Whatever happens, (or probably won't), it's food for thought and has the potential to run & run as a thread on here.

Last edited by Less; 30-03-2010 at 11:19.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 11:22   #69
Give, give, give member

I don't care if I'm in a minority.

They are ugly, and an eyesore, because of their scale in a natural environment.

Plus I have greater regard for my own opinion, when it comes to judging what's aesthetically pleasing, than anyone else's.

Old 30-03-2010, 11:54   #70

Quote:
I don't care if I'm in a minority.

They are ugly, and an eyesore, because of their scale in a natural environment.

Plus I have greater regard for my own opinion, when it comes to judging what's aesthetically pleasing, than anyone else's.

Absolutely right, of course you have, there, there, now calm down and don't do an andrew!
Old 30-03-2010, 12:17   #71
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Absolutely right, of course you have, there, there, now calm down and don't do an andrew!
Don't get too giddy.

Or I might have to cover you with a pretty chiffon cloth, so you appear less harsh on my delicate eyes.

Old 30-03-2010, 12:32   #72

Quote:
Don't get too giddy.

Or I might have to cover you with a pretty chiffon cloth, so you appear less harsh on my delicate eyes.

I think I'd look better in that other stuff, is it called Gingham?

Anyway don't get carried away just because you think you might have me in check, Mate!:
Old 30-03-2010, 12:37   #73
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I think I'd look better in that other stuff, is it called Gingham?

Anyway don't get carried away just because you think you might have me in check, Mate!:
That's better.

You were warned.

Now my aesthetc sensibilites aren't affronted.

Though your wallpaper still grates.

I will have to cross that bridge of beauty another day.

Old 30-03-2010, 14:56   #74
Resting in Peace

Is the black one, one of you designs Garinda
Old 30-03-2010, 15:45   #75
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Is the black one, one of you designs Garinda
If clients were wealthy enough, and flew me out first class, I'd run up a burka, no bother.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..