Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2006, 23:29   #16
Always EVIL within us

Re: Women in politics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
I think politics should be taught in schools (I've probably said this way too many times now and am getting boring about it). But I don't mean in the big, national picture way, but how politics impacts on everyone's life. People don't think politics is anything to do with them but tell them that it's about which schools are doing well, how the roads are resurfaced and when the new shopping centre will be built and it all becomes relevant. If they knew this from an earlier age it wouldn't be such a huge thing to pay attention come election time. Trouble is finding someone who could teach it without being biaised.
I understand what you are saying Gayle, but all politicians are treated with distrust by the majority of people - - and rightly so! Don't misunderstand me, most climb the first rung of the ladder with big ideals, they want to change the country into the utopia that they envision, but enthusiasm wears off, they accept "gifts," get friendly with "large consortiums." etc etc.

Our present Prime Minister and most if not all of the cabinet are regularly in the papers showing their prowess at making "black" money through their positions as ministers voted in by US!

Politicians that you can trust? Anthony Wedgewood Benn, for turning down his Queens Award for what ever it was - - but he was too left for me, Maggie Thatcher, admired her grit and determination, but too far right for me, No one else left to hold up as an icon and say: "This politician had the country in his/her thoughts and fought tooth and nail to give peace and prosperity to the people that elected me." The kids know this, they learnt it off their parents (one of the few things that parents taught them)

As for teaching in schools, there are two choices. Either indocrinate them into fields such as being "Politically Correct" so that they can earn a good living by saying the "right" things - - and their spouses can become part of a quango for extra income, - - or train them to become an acress/actor so that they can address thousands of people without nerves and spout a load of verbal off the top of their head.

As a budding politician Gayle, I assume that you have this particular skill of addressing small/medium/large groups of people without your voice shaking - - good for you, but I think that you will find that the majority of people shudder to be in the limelight and would be lucky to put a few words together that make any sense. So why teach politics to a class of thirty(without political bias) when only one or two are blessed with the art of oration? and at least one of those will go into business rather than politics!!

What I am saying is that both you and Cyfr have skills that make you into potential politicians but it is NOT a skill that is taught in school, it is a natural skill - - and that is why you do what you do.
Old 02-08-2006, 00:08   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

not to sure about teaching kids politics, as was said might be nigh on impossible to get an unbiased view, perhaps it would be an idea to teach 20th century history instead of the ancient history they learn, whilst that was very interesting to me its been totally useless in my life after. 20th century history can encompass politics and might just help teach respect and values.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:16   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busman747

What I am saying is that both you and Cyfr have skills that make you into potential politicians but it is NOT a skill that is taught in school, it is a natural skill - - and that is why you do what you do.
Sorry, I disagree (what a surprise ), public speaking is a skill that you learn as you go along, it comes with practice and yes, whilst I agree a certain element of confidence is required before starting out on that road, most people are capable of standing up for what they believe in.

I learnt public speaking at art school because they taught us that we would have to stand up and present our work if we ever wanted to get jobs. The first time I did it I was terrified but I pushed myself into doing it. And yes, I get up on stage and perform but equally I've seen some pretty nervous actors get up for their first ever part in a play and they've got through it and built their confidence.

So what I'm saying is that like most things it's NOT a natural skill and it can be taught and developed.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 12:01   #19
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: Women in politics

Nothing like an emotive issue to stir the blood BillGreene.

There should be no positive or negative sex discrimination in politics, national or local or any other sort of discrimination.

Actually there should be one bit of discrimination. No lawyers, barristers or anyone with formal legal training. Words are their business and they are just too good at bamboozling the rest of us with words spun to sound like one thing and mean another. E.g President Blair. There are enough Whitehall Mandarins with the legal training to formulate new laws on the instruction of Parliament.
Old 02-08-2006, 14:03   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay
I agree with other people on this subject,
Couldn't quite bring yourself to say "I agree with GAYLE on this subject" could ya jaysay?

Last edited by Shady McGough; 02-08-2006 at 14:06.
Shady McGough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 17:49   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady McGough
Couldn't quite bring yourself to say "I agree with GAYLE on this subject" could ya jaysay?
Oh come on Shady everboby on her knows I always agree with Gayle, it was just that more than Gayle made the same point
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 18:16   #22
Resting in Peace

I think that the reason women make good politicians is the old saying of "If you want a job doing, give it to a busy person" (or summat like that). We women are always busy, and used to juggling our time, whereas men have the luxury of more spare time and this tends to slow you down.

If I am busy at work, can do the jobs quicker and more efficiently, whereas, if quiet, drag my feet a little and make more mistakes.

Gayle has two 'personality plus kids' to bring up, job, housewife, secretary of Ossie Player and sure other interests, so she keeps the flow going and would have done a great job if she had been elected this year.

That's my theory, and I am sticking to it.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 21:22   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busman747

I hope you're wrong! I'd love to be able to get up and speak in front of an audience without nerves, but so far I can't

I remember earlier this year, I did a presentation on Unison for my politics class. I remembered my presentation so I could make it without the aid of notes (oh how cameron-esk ). I was a bag of nerves but hopefully nobody really noticed (Prolly too busy being bored to death by my lame speach on Unison)
Old 02-08-2006, 21:40   #24
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr
I hope you're wrong! I'd love to be able to get up and speak in front of an audience without nerves, but so far I can't

I remember earlier this year, I did a presentation on Unison for my politics class. I remembered my presentation so I could make it without the aid of notes (oh how cameron-esk ).
Lesson 1 Cyfr: make notes only of key words. Slow your speech down to give yourself time to think. Theory is difference between higher classes and working classes, the speed we speak ... watch people on telly. You will notice politicians, etc., speak slower than we do in Lancs. Does work, I promise.

Lesson 2: Eyeball the audience, looking around at each individual, makes them pay attention more.

Lesson 3: Stand straight, feet firmly on the ground, a little apart so you have balance.

Lesson 4: Before you go 'on stage', tighten every muscle in your body, then relax.

Lesson 5: Make sure you have been for a pee first.

Will send you my fee later .. tee hee.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 23:24   #25
God Member

I can see Busman's point, but I think confidence to speak in public is a bit broad.
For instance at the weekend if I play an acoustic night in a pub where it's just me & a geetah I won't freeze up but I'll enjoy it, with nerves fuelling more excitement. Whereas if I'm presenting academic work - it's like goodbye Shaker, hello 13 year old!! Quivering, voice all over the shop, sweating like a pregnant nun.
Maybe it's down to not enough praise for academic work in schools? It'd make sense to me. If young people learn in pivotal parts of their development that pride in academic success and being able to present their work brings praise & respect then it could serve them well in afforementioned circumstances.
Which brings me round to the point of the thread...sort of.
Politics circles around acceptance, and I think that if we are to see more women striving for success in politics then it is down to existing politicians to get their game sorted out. It must be off-putting to see the way women are treated in the sleazy world of politics, the hidden affairs & men-in-power abusing their status for all it's worth. I mean look at the Maggie - she had to practically become a testosterone fuelled walking ego to get ahead in politics. IMO that's gotta change.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 06:31   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
not to sure about teaching kids politics, as was said might be nigh on impossible to get an unbiased view, perhaps it would be an idea to teach 20th century history instead of the ancient history they learn, whilst that was very interesting to me its been totally useless in my life after. 20th century history can encompass politics and might just help teach respect and values.
I agree. I was taught Social & Economic history from 1700 to 1945. (OK so I am older than the average ). That made me more politically 'aware' than if someone had tried to teach politics as a subject. Associated with this, RI was taught as a discussion subject, where if you demonstrated a strong prejudice with a particular subject or issue, you were asked, at a future lesson, to present a counter argument to views that you had expressed. Of course, this did not change pupils opinions but it meant that some attempt was made to ensure that arguements were based on knowledge and not on ignorance.

To thine own self be true
BillGreene is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..