Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2005, 18:45   #1
Member.

Word Thread, Karma - Realisation.

I received some bad Karma recently and for once it made me think. I was walking round Accrington today enjoying the fantastic weather, the buildings and the sights and sounds of Broadway and the centre. All around me where people of all race’s, cultures and backgrounds, all was well, all was pleasant. After chatting to a nice young lady in one of the shops I ventured back out into the sun and lazily walk over to the library for a spot of research, on the way I past the time by watching carrier bags, crisp packets and pie bags float on the gentle breeze, I glanced up has one Greg’s bag rose into the air and drifted up the frontage of the Market Hall. It was then that I notice the Rose Bay Willow Herb growing wildly out of the cracks and crannies of the roof line, a quick glance down Blackburn Road confirmed the worse, “It was growing like the dreaded Red Weed the likes of which we know from War of the Worlds”. It’s got to be doing long term damage to the stone work I thought to myself.

On wards, after an hour in the library I drove up Willows Lane to have a look at the New Memorial plaque in the Diamond Gardens and the mighty cog. Another let down, again this area could have really been something with a little thought and some local consultation. I stood and watched a young lad picking up rubbish with a long reach, at the same time he was kicking a pop carton around the cog. He was obviously hot and p***ed off and not at all motivated or interested in is work. He had left a cart load of rubbish in the grates that surround the trees. On the way back I drove back up Ormerod Street and down Willows Lane passing yet more bin bags and an assortment of other bags and wrappers floating on the warm flowing breeze.

What the point of this sh*** I hear people say, well I’ll tell you. I posted a word in Word Thread the other day, it was “condemn” this morning someone deducted three Karma points and entered “yes you do.......without cause.....” I was at a loss at what this was supposed to mean, until this afternoon that is. I realised that this person had been upset at some criticism that I had made at some point and had waited patiently until today to make a point. The realisation for me was “yes, I do Condemn” but surly not without cause.

I don’t live in Accrington and I haven’t done for many years. I am very proud of my heritage and my birth place, maybe I see things in a different light, you may have grown use to it, I don’t really know.

What I feel is let down and hurt by what I see, because it is still my town as well as yours. I can’t promise that I won’t keep my mouth shut and not comment on my experiences when visiting, but thank you who ever you are for opening my eyes and making your point. It as been taken in the manner in which I believe you meant, without malice, but in defence of what is also yours……

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-07-2005, 19:07   #2
God Member

Re: Word Thread, Karma - Realisation.

Doug, dont be offended by anyone deducting karma at the end of the day it doesn't mean anything, and you are entitled to your opinion, whatever that is.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 19:09   #3
God Member

A. I see nothing wrong in voicing your opinion on matters you think are of concern, I wish more people said what they thought.

B. The problem with refuse collection is down to HBC and they are rightly criticised for it. The problem with Litter is down to all of us.

I think you probably got deducted by the same person who complained annonymously that I moaned too much - ME- as if!

I think the annonymous member may be Britcliffe.
Old 12-07-2005, 19:15   #4
God Member

I think if you want to deduct karma you should have to leave your name and a valid reason, not tit for tat.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 19:48   #5
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grego
Doug, dont be offended by anyone deducting karma at the end of the day it doesn't mean anything, and you are entitled to your opinion, whatever that is.
Cheers Grego, Karma loss doesn’t grate like it use to, I’ve been quite lucky too receive what I have. I think when you first start to lose it you feel that its personal but it is seldom the case, there are people on here that would have genuine cause to take karma from me and none of them to their credit never have. I feel in this case someone got fed up with the constant negativity and hit back, again the way in which they wrote says that there was no malice intended. I wish they had left their name because I would have given them Karma for the conviction and feeling they displayed.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 12-07-2005, 20:01   #6
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
A. I see nothing wrong in voicing your opinion on matters you think are of concern, I wish more people said what they thought.

B. The problem with refuse collection is down to HBC and they are rightly criticised for it. The problem with Litter is down to all of us.

I think you probably got deducted by the same person who complained annonymously that I moaned too much - ME- as if!

Thanks A-B, I wonder if we shouldn’t invite those responsible to a Question and Answer session live on Accyweb. I’m all for people expressing their opinion and I wish more people expressed it in a frank, but friendly manner in the open. I didn’t want this to be a whinge really. Where I live in Blackpool is just as bad sometimes. It saddens me that a town that I remember has been fiercely proud and individual seems to have lost its heart. Often this results from poor leadership and lack of example. I suppose that by pointing out the obvious someone, somewhere on the council would get off their a*** an do something.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 12-07-2005, 20:13   #7
Beacon of light

If Karma means nothing, why do we all strive for it........? and take it personally when it is deducted....?
Doug, I have always found your posts to be balanced and have a sense of perspective.
I don't understand why, if someone feels that you genuinely deserve negative Karma, why they can't put their name to it. It strikes me as being cowardly.......and you Sir, are far too gentlemanly in your acceptance of it.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 20:15   #8
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
Maybe someone told him there's a portrait of him on here somewhere and it's a perfect likeness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
On the way back I drove back up Ormerod Street and down Willows Lane passing yet more bin bags and an assortment of other bags and wrappers floating on the warm flowing breeze.
Pity you didn't hang on until tomorrow Doug. It's "wheelie bin day" here tomorrow and there'll be even more assorted bags and their contents wafting up and down Willows Lane/Ormerod Street. I'm always moaning about it because I have to live in the middle of it. I've got a dilemma for tomorrow because I have more rubbish than will fit in the wheelie bin (more people in the house now) so what do I do? Do I put out an extra bin bag and risk a fine or do I waste fuel and add to global warming by taking the darned thing to the tip by car? One way or the other it ends up in the same place.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 20:40   #9
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
If Karma means nothing, why do we all strive for it........? and take it personally when it is deducted....?
Doug, I have always found your posts to be balanced and have a sense of perspective.
I don't understand why, if someone feels that you genuinely deserve negative Karma, why they can't put their name to it. It strikes me as being cowardly.......and you Sir, are far too gentlemanly in your acceptance of it.
Mrs Pilkington. I have the utmost repect and dare I say a genuine love of friendship for you. But, are you really sure you haven't got me confused with someone else?

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 12-07-2005, 22:19   #10
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Lets put 2 and 2 together and if I'm wrong so what, firstly we have members being deducted karma for moaning and being negative in their opinion. We then have a member who starts a thread about moaning and being negative asking us to post positive things only.
KIPAX are you the one deducting karma from members of accyweb because I think you are.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 22:36   #11
Give, give, give member

You are as entitled to your opinion as anyone else mate, irrespective of where you live now or before.

Very often when wearing my baby bonnet and having thrown my silver rattle out of the pram, the messages you have sent with karma have been much appreciated. Thank you.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 22:45   #12
God Member

I really do believe that deducting Karma should be done with a name. I've never felt the need to deduct karma as I believe we are all individuals with our own beliefs, tolerance levels and ideals and who are we to decide others are wrong. As for you Doug I've always believed your posts are written with the utmost thought and you must never let a coward who was unable to leave their name with a nonsensical explaination change the way you post

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 22:53   #13
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood red
I really do believe that deducting Karma should be done with a name. I've never felt the need to deduct karma as I believe we are all individuals with our own beliefs, tolerance levels and ideals and who are we to decide others are wrong. As for you Doug I've always believed your posts are written with the utmost thought and you must never let a coward who was unable to leave their name with a nonsensical explaination change the way you post
Oh baby, it won't. But I do recognise that others are sometimes affected by what we might write and all too often I've ignored that fact when it’s suited me. I would have welcomed a name, because I do feel the there is some validity in the point being made. That said its water under the bridge now and tomorrow is a new day……but thank you for your kindness.

Mr Garinda, Sir, Dummies aside…………thank you and your very welcome….

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -

Last edited by Doug; 12-07-2005 at 22:55.
Old 13-07-2005, 09:09   #14
Senior Member+

Hey come on Doug, you were the one who first told me about losing Karma it sometimes does feel personal but what the hell!!

Someone took karma off me for the post i did on the calm room (no name of course) the post had nothing wrong with it it was talking about me not anyone else but still they choose to take it totally beats me why.

So come on Doug pick your chin up!

Don't let them grind you down.
MUMMIBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2005, 10:46   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

hey doug theres always a bright side,my theory is that the saddo probably took karma off you because it would not allow them to take it off me,lol

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..