Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-05-2010, 16:33   #16
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Yorkshire Ripper - The Sequel.

I must admit, I feel annoyed that any woman should be treated so badly, just because she is a prostitute, she doesn't have, 'use once, none recyclable', written on her forehead!

The Television this morning had been out and interviewed the dregs of the earth for some reason, surely not all women that sell themselves are heroin addicts and alcoholics?

Even if true, they all have the right, just like a bathroom, to be left the way you found them, so for these Ladies that means, ALIVE.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-05-2010, 23:01   #17
Give, give, give member

It does aggravate me that the victims are first described as prostitutes, by the media, who relish a story like this.

First and foremost they are human beings, who are female.

The BBC programme last month, Five Daughters, based on the lives of the five women who were killed in Ipswich, illustrated quite movingly that they were someone's daughters, sisters, grandaughters, and mums. Just ordinary young women, who for whatever reason chose the wrong path in life, and whose addictions led them onto the streets.

Morally I've nothing against prostitution. It's never going to go away. I even saw a recent documentary about the thriving street prostitution industry in the Islamic state of Iran. I do think more comprehensive legislation would afford the sex workers more safety.

However most of the women, and men, who work in prostitution don't do it from choice, and charge five grand per night, there's only a few in the Heather Mills league, most do it because of poverty, and it being the quickest way they can pay for their next fix.

Sadly, as long as we have vunerable people, plying their trade on the streets, there'll always be some inadequate sicko who see them as easy prey.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/t...ne-review.html

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 23:06   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

yer quite right rindy, nowt changes, old chestnut i know, but simple fact is theres no real deterant to these sick gets. basically what they got to fear?
Old 27-05-2010, 23:12   #19
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
yer quite right rindy, nowt changes, old chestnut i know, but simple fact is theres no real deterant to these sick gets. basically what they got to fear?
Nothing to fear.

Claim 'the voices made me do it', and spend the rest of your days nicely fed and watered, in a well appointed secured hospital, revelling in your noteriety.

Old 27-05-2010, 23:13   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Nothing to fear.

Claim 'the voices made me do it', and spend the rest of your days nicely fed and watered, in a well appointed secured hospital, revelling in your noteriety.
Exactly!!! Top the gets n have done wi it.
Old 27-05-2010, 23:29   #21
God Member

Quote:
It does aggravate me that the victims are first described as prostitutes, by the media, who relish a story like this.

First and foremost they are human beings, who are female.
Very true, the sick murdering scumbags are intent on killing...they have a preference for murdering women and prostitutes are the easiest prey.. but as in the case of Sutcliffe they will attack any women given the opportunity.
In this case 3 or more women go missing with no explianation but there's no big nationwide media appeal to find them.. then body parts start turning up but the first the public hear about it is when this monster has been arrested.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 23:34   #22
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Very true, the sick murdering scumbags are intent on killing...they have a preference for murdering women and prostitutes are the easiest prey.. but as in the case of Sutcliffe they will attack any women given the opportunity.
In this case 3 or more women go missing with no explianation but there's no big nationwide media appeal to find them.. then body parts start turning up but the first the public hear about it is when this monster has been arrested.
I agree.

All the Sutcliffe victims are tarred with the prostitute tag, because of the media, even though some weren't, and it's now widely believed that one victim was a male taxi driver.

What they did may have made them more vunerable, but doesn't make their deaths any less sad and horrific for their loved ones.

Last edited by garinda; 27-05-2010 at 23:36.
Old 27-05-2010, 23:34   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

thats oh so true mancie, reports say 3 maybe more, but their only possers is the attitude of the police. personally until the other day i was not aware 3 were missing.
Old 27-05-2010, 23:41   #24
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
thats oh so true mancie, reports say 3 maybe more, but their only possers is the attitude of the police. personally until the other day i was not aware 3 were missing.
Individually these vunerable people are killed, attacked, and raped, every week of the year.

The media only gets itself into a frenzy when two or more of these murders are linked, then they can make the most of a big brouhaha, about the latest 'serial killer' headline story.

Old 27-05-2010, 23:47   #25

I didn't knopw anything about this either until Tealeaf posted it on here. I also wondered why it wasn't all over the news until he'd been arrested
suedarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 23:53   #26
Give, give, give member

Of the estimated 80,000 people involved in prostitution in the UK, up to 5,000 children may be involved at any one time, with a female to male ratio of four to one. [Home Office (2004), Paying the price]

More than half of women in prostitution have been raped and or seriously assaulted and at least 75% have been physically assaulted at the hands of the pimps and punters. 74% of women in prostitution identify poverty, the need to pay household expenses and support their children, as primary motivators for being drawn into prostitution. [Home office (2004)

Up to 75% of women involved in prostitution began when they were under 18 years of age and most teenage prostitutes are involved in street prostitution, which is estimated to be ten times more dangerous than working from houses or flats. [Benson, C. and Matthews, R. (1995)

Victims of child sexual abuse are 27.7 times more likely to be arrested for prostitution as adults than non-victims. [Widom, C.S. 1995. Victims of Childhood Sexual Abuse-Later Criminal Consequences.]

Women in prostitution are 18 times more likely to be murdered than the general population. [Hard Knock Life, New Philanthropy Capital 2007]

It is estimated that as many as 95% of women involved in prostitution have a drug or alcohol addiction. [Melrose, M. (2002),]

80,000 women work in 'on-street' prostitution in the UK. The average age women become involved being just 12yrs old. [Home Office, Paying the Price. A consultation paper on prostitution, 2004]

Prostitution : AVA - Against Violence & Abuse

Old 28-05-2010, 06:07   #27
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Morally I've nothing against prostitution. It's never going to go away. I even saw a recent documentary about the thriving street prostitution industry in the Islamic state of Iran. I do think more comprehensive legislation would afford the sex workers more safety.
This is currently the case in certain parts of North West Europe (Germany & Holland) were the girls work of their own free will & are registered, the police know them (especially in Hamburg) & look out for them. They have unions & pay taxes, are checked on a regular basis by Doctors & all seems to function quite well.

But due to the influx of Criminal elements from Russia & Eastern Europe, more & more Young girls are being forced into & brutalized to take part against their wishes. These Girls tend to be the victims more often than not in crimes against prostitutes as they have no support network, are held to ransom through drugs/money/retention of passports, by these Criminal gangs.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 09:11   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Nothing to fear.

Unfortunately that's just how things have gone eve since Silverman's bill to abolish hanging became law, there is no deterrent any more, when they did away with the DP, it should have been replaced with Life imprisonment Life meaning Life not 12 years or so. Then they tried to tell us that the likes of Brady and Sutcliffe were mentally deranged, ya reght. we now have vile sods like Ian Huntley living the life of Riley game boys colour tvs sky tv stereo anything he wants all at our expense, what ever happened to breaking up rocks 8 hours a day 7 days a week, but I forget these people have rights, more bloody rights than the law abiding citizens of this country
Old 28-05-2010, 11:45   #29
God Member

I must admit there is one aspect of this case that I find rather puzzling. Depending on which media organ you read or watch, the victims are described as either prostitutes or sex workers (and in some instances as both). Now I am aware of what a prostiture is, but could some of you please enlighten me as to what is a 'sex worker'? Is she a prostitute who is fully legit and pays her tax and NI like any respectable citizen? Or is she someone employed by the local government or health authority - like a social worker - to provide certain services to gentlemen of need?

It would appear that one of the victims was a regular visitor to an Old Folks home in Bradford. What is the financial arrangement for such services? Is it all paid for by the ratepayer or is there a nominal contribution made by the recipient of such services? Does Hyndburn Council offer a similar arrangement? Answers, please.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 11:52   #30
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post

is there a nominal contribution made by the recipient of such services?
From what I understand, they leave a small deposit.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..