Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-10-2004, 12:09   #46
God Member

Re: Young people today

Quote:
They are big enough and tough enough, to smack me now.
That wouldn't be why you have stopped hitting them would it?

OK Darby answers my questions with the classic "Smacking is not hitting" in a vain attempt to justify hitting children.

What about you busman and all the rest who say its OK to hit children. will you be answering my question.. do you hit/smack or wahtever you want to call it other adults and your spouse for example? Or is it just defenceless children?
Old 15-10-2004, 12:37   #47
Senior Member+

I agree that Smacking is not Hitting

EG a 20mnth old toddler is stumbling around and keep's going toward's the the fire. The more you stress that it is wrong, the bigger the grin on the child's face and get's dangerously close to the fire.

The child is pushing the boudaries which is part of growing up but this is one time when a reasoned discussion with a 20mnth old toddler about the pain of a burn will not help. A small smack on the hand and a stern face may be needed to teach the child that this is one boundary that can not be pushed .

That is Disepline(spell checker roy) not hitting !!!!

I agree hitting children is a total waste of effort it does not work.

But until they can be reasoned with logically some smacking may be needed.

In my 8 yr old's class yesterday a young boy in his class would not do as his teacher told him, he was being very naughty said my son. The response from the boy to the teacher was "You can not make me it is a free world". SAD very SAD.
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2004, 12:46   #48

Sorry Kipax you seem to be confusing a desire with a responsibility
And I do not attempt to justify hitting a child at all.

I don't hit anybody if I can possibly avoid doing it. I'm old enough and experienced to see situations arising where trouble is likely to break out and leave. But if I must...I will. I'm a little short of tall and a couple of pounds (3 or 4 only) overweight. But where needs.....must. I would hit a woman if she attempted to hit me.

However I would never hit a lady. And my wife is one!

But under normal conditions you cannot compare grown-ups with children.

What about that guy walking home in Accy a couple of years ago who told some kids to stop throwing stones at an elderly couple...the kids (louts) kicked his eye out. What would you do....discuss the issue before they kicked your eye out? and afterwards tell the nice policeman (if you could find one within 2 days) you didn't strike a blow at these unfortunate deprived (Depraved more like)children as it's against the law!!

No... we must think more about why we are in this situation and try to recover it to a state with which we are all happy and above all safe!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2004, 13:01   #49
God Member

darby.. theres a difference between self defence and hitting children because they have been naughty... get a grip man
Old 15-10-2004, 13:15   #50
God Member

Hitting? Smacking? I don't think the kids care what you call it........
Old 15-10-2004, 13:24   #51
Senior Member+

I hated school and concentrating in class but it was of undeniable benefit to me Because the teacher's new what was good for me.

Sometime's it is a parent's responsibility to guide a child in right's and wrong's. It is not for the child to decide if it is right or nice. That's the parent's job.

Of course kids don't like discepline but without it we can see where the world is heading

Old 15-10-2004, 13:33   #52
God Member

Just because I dont hit my kds doesnt mean they dont get punished.. haha thats a laughable idea. I dont think anyone is saying they shouldnt be punished.. only the methods.

Hitting your kids must work for you.. as it must for gobsmacked, busman and the rest

not hititng kids works for me.

A shame people cant just understand and live with that... instead I am to be blamed for the woes of the world
Old 15-10-2004, 13:52   #53

Well the thread seems to be going slightly adrift of my first posting.
Are youngsters less well behaved than the kids of the 50's/ 60's/etc?[I]
Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2004, 13:54   #54
Senior Member+

I can not remember SMACKING any of my kid's because reasoning and witholding certain thing's(footy, playstation, spend's etc) is the way that work's 99% of the time

But what me and other's are saying is you NEED there to be an option for smacking when it is apropiate, Hopefully never needed, But not all kid's are the same.

You are only to blame for all that is wrong in accrington Kipax...... not the world!!!!!

The example I quoted earlier about the 8yr old saying "you can not make me it is a free country" to his teacher is so sad because that cheeky little *** is in the RIGHT saying that, and that can not work the teacher need's to be in the RIGHT, or else the whole system will fall apart.....

When you take away the option for smacking this is the path to disaster..
Old 15-10-2004, 13:56   #55
Senior Member+

I for one lampman am convinced that they are worse than 20yrs ago...
Old 15-10-2004, 13:59   #56
God Member

Quote:
You are only to blame for all that is wrong in accrington Kipax...... not the world!!!!!
Hey i can live with that
Old 15-10-2004, 14:11   #57
Resident Waffler

I agree with you Simon. I think they are worse and I can only see them deteriorating because we have the attitude you describe so well of "You can't punish me. You can't stop me. I've got my rights."

A child caught by the police vandalising simply laughs in their faces as he knows very well there is nothing they can do because he is only 8 years old.

I've just been heartbroken today reading an account in the paper by the mother of the 14 year old girl who was shot. I cannot begin to imagine the pain she is going through. What kind of a country do we live in where a 14 year old girl can be shot and killed? I have a daughter about the same age. I can relate to that.

We really must make a distinction between smacking and hitting as most people here seem to be able to do. Smacking is done with love and care (as in protecting the small child from the fire). Hitting is done out of anger. It is a totally diferent thing. Smacking is more gentle. Hitting is violent. I do not and never will advocate hitting a child or an adult but my children knew and know that the threat of a smack is there if they deserve it.

I remember a friend of mine looking up at her teenage son who was misbehaving and saying sternly "You're not too old for a smack bottom!" It did the trick. He was strong enough to have fought her had he so desired but the very thought of the humiliation of a smack on the bum was enough to deter him.

Please tell us a better way. How do you prevent the small child from burning himself? Yes you can steer him away but the moment your back is turned he'll try again. The smack on the wrist hurts a heck of a lot less then being burned.

I'm not into child abuse AT ALL but statistics show that we have a very real problem and it began to escalate with a change of attitude towards smacking.

It's hardly fair to blame parents when their children misbehave and then blame parents when they try to discipline them to prevent such behaviour.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2004, 14:29   #58
God Member

Quote:
Smacking is done with love and care
hahahahahaha

Old 15-10-2004, 14:47   #59
Resident Waffler

Then you obviously don't know the difference which explains your attitude towards it.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2004, 14:53   #60
God Member

One is raising your hand to a child.. the other is raising your hand to a child...

sorry but hitting a child and then trying to justify it by calling it smacking is pathetic... then we have that you smack children so they dont harm themselves (I am still trying to figure that mentality out) then telling us smacking is done with love and care... well thats just plain laughable.

I ask again.. do you think the children care if you call it hitting or smacking ?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..