Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-10-2004, 15:03   #61
Resident Waffler

Re: Young people today

Hang on a minute - mine are both upstairs so I'll ask.

Better to get an opinion direct than to tell you what I think they think.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-10-2004, 15:13   #62
Resident Waffler

Reply from 13 year old:

"Smacking doesn't really hurt. It's just to tell you off. Hitting is like a violence and hurts more. Children need to be smacked if they are being bad and won't listen to teach them a lesson, but not to be hit though.
Any parent that hit a child would be classed as child abuse but smacking is just necessary if a child won't listen and is being downright naughty. They need it to learn."

From my 10 year old:

"Smacking is just like gently and stuff. Hitting is a big fat massive wham. If a child started a fire at school or owt they need a smack or something else dangerous like nearly kill someone or summat they need a smack. You should never actually like hit a child because that's child abuse."

I've typed that exactly as they said it in their own words, each one asked separately.

Old 15-10-2004, 15:17   #63
God Member

Hmmmm really ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
I don't smack my children. I don't have to. The mere fact that they know I'd like to if they warranted it is enough.

Confused... Who exactly is smacking your children ?
Old 15-10-2004, 15:21   #64
God Member

By the way.. if that was said by your children it has to be the most depressing thing I have ever read .... Children saying that its ok to be smacked... thats gotta be wrong
Old 15-10-2004, 15:37   #65
Resident Waffler

No-one smacks them Kipax, I don't need to smack them. They know that the possibility is there and that's enough. Can't you understand the concept of a deterrant?

I smacked them on the odd occasion when they were smaller because it was the only thing they understood in situations like the one Simon described with the fire.

My older daughter just demonstrated on the back of my hand what such a smack feels like and it was a million miles away from anything I would consider a "hit".

Old 15-10-2004, 15:39   #66
Resident Waffler

BTW a group of children did start a fire at my younger child's school. The school of course was not permitted to punish them in spite of the fact that they put a teacher's life in danger. I do not know how the parents reprimanded them but I do know that some showed remorse and others didn't.

Old 15-10-2004, 15:40   #67

Don't bother Willow......Suffice it to say that Kipax has his way...and the rest of us have our way. Diversity is what makes life!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2004, 15:42   #68
Senior Member+

Kipax Willow's children's response is Very encouraging...........

Why do you find it depressing?????
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2004, 15:42   #69
God Member

Quote:
My older daughter just demonstrated on the back of my hand what such a smack feels like and it was a million miles away from anything I would consider a "hit".
Oh well you have convinced me then.... I best start hitting my children this very evening... From what your children say.. there gonna be so pleased daddy has started hitting them..

DUH!
Old 15-10-2004, 15:59   #70
Resident Waffler

I don't know how old your children are and I have not said that you should do anything of the sort but you still don't seem to be able to make the distinction between hitting and smacking.

Old 15-10-2004, 17:00   #71
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit_Phoenix
so letties never been young and never enjoyed life and is confused why ppl would respond like that...i guess i should respond in a "teenager-like" fashion urgh
Hehehehe... Confused about what??? Why people would respond like what???
Nowhere in any of my posts on this thread have I challenged anybody's responses to anything (except yours now)
I would also like to add that although I was in no way a model teenager (my middle name was detention) I found a goal in life and worked towards it. I also said in my first post that not all teenagers are yobs. I don't know where your response to my post has come from, you don't sound old enough to be confused just yet, and neither am I..

Now where did I leave my coffee????

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2004, 17:09   #72
God Member

Young at heart lettie .... Thats the best way
Old 15-10-2004, 18:41   #73

Im totally against smacking as when i was small my older brother used to hit me just because i was not doing exactly what he wanted me to do so this then turned into fighting. Unfortunately when he used to go out to party he would do the same to other people thinking it was o'k (just because he saw my dad smaking me) and the rest is history. But can u see what smacking can do to a child!!!

Smaking is wrong i have always thought that a strong word in the ear is ten times more usefull than a smack We should deter from violence at all costs
Old 15-10-2004, 18:48   #74
Resident Waffler

What effect can a strong word in the ear have on a child too young to understand those words? (See Simon's point about a toddler and fire)

Your brother hitting you has nothing to do with smacking and everything to do with bullying.

Old 15-10-2004, 18:59   #75
God Member

So your saying that to keep children safe from harm... we should smack them!

SIGH

And I am the only person who can see summat wrong with that picture am I ?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..