Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-07-2006, 11:38   #1
Apprentice Geriatric

Double Standards???

I had better say farewell to everyone on this forum now whilst I still have the chance because after this post it wouldn’t surprise me to find myself banned.

It seems that double standards are acceptable from some and not from others. Let me explain.

Re the “Lottery Dream Number…GRRRRRR” thread.

The opening post by ploppysirploppy was complaining about the way people present their Lottery slips. I offered my opinion about the Lottery in post #4 and put forward my reasons for my opinion. There was nothing ambiguous in what I wrote. It was clear enough yet Cyfr asked, “why is it a scam?” in post #6. Now I don’t know about anyone else but if someone asks me a question I see it is a common courtesy to reply and I did. It snowballed from there because if Cyfr had read and understood what I had written he would not have needed to ask the question. So he was being confrontational and thus the instigator of what followed.

Can I remind ploppysirploppy of her PS in her post #27. “PS....Cyfr and jambutty....lovin' the argument...carry on” Not only was she condoning the difference of opinion between me and Cyfr in post #27 she was actually encouraging us to continue.

Then in post #31 ploppysirploppy turned on me with “And speaking of this debate, what was my thread actually about......hmm....Dream Number I think... but you posted something that has little relevance to what I started....” In view of the comment made by ploppysirploppy in post #27 wasn’t that just a bit hypocritical?

When I get an email from the forum notifying me that a reply had been made to a thread I had subscribed to, clicking the link takes me to the first post that I had not read. One such email dated 23/7 timed at 2134 BST pointed me to #35. By that time I was watching TV so I did not read it until the next day. Suspecting that it would need a coherent response I left it until afternoon, by which time I would have attended to my normal Internet routine and would be free to concentrate on what I was writing.

After making my last post #34 I had no intention of taking any further part in that thread but post #35 content invited a response so it got one. (I should point out that when I write a post I do so using Word and respond to each post in turn if a response is required before reading the next one.) I wrote my response and then I then read post #36 and felt that it too deserved a response. I had also already decided that I wasn’t going to bandy words with Cyfr anymore so I ignored his post and after reading Len’s plea ‘Will you lot please…..pack it in’ I added my tongue in cheek agreement to do as asked and posted my final post #40 at 1431 on the 24th.

But what do I find? garinda chips in with a reminder that foreign words are against the forum rules and ploppysirploppy posts to announce that ‘we all had the decency to stop when Len asked’ and admonished me for not doing so. Quietly forgetting that in making that post #42 she was doing exactly what I was being accused of doing and then having the gall to accuse me of wanting to have the last word and having it herself. Then stone me, if Len doesn’t go and make a post #43 congratulating ploppysirploppy on her post, a post that he asked people not to make.

Now tell me again that that is not double standards.

I also notice that yet another anonymous person has given me some negative Karma relating to my posts in “Lottery Dream Number…GRRRRRR” with the comment “stop picking!” What’s the matter anonymous, do you not have the courage to put your name to your comments? I guess not but then COWARDS do not!

However your comment sounds like an instruction to me. I DON’T TAKE INSTRUCTIONS FROM ANONYMOUS PEOPLE, OR ANYONE ELSE WHO IS NOT A MOD ON THIS FORUM.
Old 25-07-2006, 15:03   #2

Re: Double Standards???

Ok. I decided not to get myself involved in the whole matter.(Which is unbelievable for me..I know) But ive sat and watched with amazement at some posts..

And Ive come to the conclusion that ploppysirploppy (LF) is a complete ***

Yours etc.

Last edited by Len; 25-07-2006 at 19:23. Reason: Personal attack
Old 25-07-2006, 15:19   #3
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: Double Standards???

Aw! That’s a bit harsh morgan_brotherz. We all have the right to post our opinion. Right or wrong, good or bad! I may not agree with the opinion but I will fight to the death (figure of speech) to defend someone’s right to speak up. But then if that is your opinion then that is that.

My thanks for four lots of positive Karma all signed. Er! What’s a purple one?
Old 25-07-2006, 17:46   #4
Len
God Member

Re: Double Standards???

I’m sorry if you feel that there are double standards because we do try our best to do things right. We are not machines but mere mortals.

I was not congratulating ploppysirploppy on her post. hehe what you like?? I was simply thanking her for having shown a little respect to the request that I had made. In actual fact I had closed the thread as a result of her and others posts. If the bickering/nit picking hadn’t of continued then the thread would still be intact.

Unfortunately you chose to ignore the request for what ever reason and by continuing the bickering/nit picking after having been asked to pack it in you had basically invited the other members who had, up until that point respected that request to sadly resume bickering/nit picking back. Thus thread closed.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...rrr-23007.html

Anyhow I have moved this thread from the General Chat forums as it’s meant to be for “Decent serious discussions” to the Anything Goes forums because this thread is really only a bit of a rant.

Also this matter is no longer open for discussion.
Sorry.

The End.

p.s.

I have taken the liberty of moving some of the posts that where in this thread and put them in their own new thread as it would have been a shame to have had them locked away in here.

I hope that this pleases.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...tty-23091.html

Last edited by Len; 25-07-2006 at 19:20.
Closed Thread

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..