Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-07-2006, 15:14   #1

Lottery Dream Number....GRRRRRR

I use the lottery machine at work... it's so annoying because when people fill in lottery tickets they never mark off the 'no' box on the slip to say NO to playing Dream Number which means i have to press about 30 buttons on the machine to actually process the slip..... to make things worse, people use the old slips which is more hassle....it's just confusing....
So if ya gonna play the lottery without playing Dream Number, please mark the 'NO' box to save time..........
Accrington Web
Old 21-07-2006, 15:17   #2
God Member

Re: Lottery Dream Number....GRRRRRR

why should they mark off something when they don't want it? tell the lottery to make it so that they mark it if they DO want it. OR you mark it before you put it in the machine, thats what I'd do.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Old 21-07-2006, 16:28   #3

Why should i waste even more time marking it off myself? and, more to the point, they may want to actually keep that ticket and maybe play that Dream Number later...........
I'm just saying the lottery machine is much more confusing now they've introduced that new game
Old 21-07-2006, 16:29   #4
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: Lottery Dream Number....GRRRRRR

The National Lottery is the biggest scam of all time that the government has perpetrated on the general public.

He biggest winner is the government in that EACH AND EVERY WEEK they cream off several millions in tax. Camelot gets its cut each and every week. Each week only a handful of people from the whole of the population win a meaningful amount.

The cash for good causes is SPLIT BETWEEN THE POPULATION. The good causes distribution is controlled by a handful of Quangos and much of the money has gone to benefit the rich with only paltry sums going to the thousands of genuine good causes. £50m to refurbish the Royal Opera House. If every single person in the UK wanted to attend an opera at the ROH the waiting list would be 72 years long. Was it £13m for the Churchill papers?

You’ve been conned!
Old 21-07-2006, 16:36   #5
God Member

I've got hundreds..... since i stopped doing it.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Old 21-07-2006, 16:44   #6

I don't do the lottery anyways myself....the odd scratch card now and then buts thats about it
Old 21-07-2006, 17:01   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty
The National Lottery is the biggest scam of all time that the government has perpetrated on the general public.

He biggest winner is the government in that EACH AND EVERY WEEK they cream off several millions in tax. Camelot gets its cut each and every week. Each week only a handful of people from the whole of the population win a meaningful amount.

The cash for good causes is SPLIT BETWEEN THE POPULATION. The good causes distribution is controlled by a handful of Quangos and much of the money has gone to benefit the rich with only paltry sums going to the thousands of genuine good causes. £50m to refurbish the Royal Opera House. If every single person in the UK wanted to attend an opera at the ROH the waiting list would be 72 years long. Was it £13m for the Churchill papers?

You’ve been conned!
Why is it a scam? Are you not aware of how it works?
Old 21-07-2006, 17:47   #8
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: Lottery Dream Number....GRRRRRR

It is a scam Cyfr because the people were duped into believing that real on the ground good causes would benefit. People saw good causes as a piece of extra equipment for hospitals or helping the majority of the public in a variety of ways. Instead huge sums of money have gone to benefit a tiny majority of the population.

The Lottery was started under the pretext that the proceeds would help good causes. The public was coerced into taking part with slick advertising and the message was always “it could be you” and “good causes will benefit”. People including me fell for it like a ton of bricks. Then as the truth dawned on them that it was unlikely to be them and most of the major good causes were for the rich and aristocracy they stopped doing the Lottery in their hundreds of thousands.

I am perfectly aware of how it works. Which part of my post did you not understand?
Old 21-07-2006, 18:01   #9
God Member

I didn't understand the 'scam' part, because the lottery arnt frauding anyone.
I highly doubt that people arnt cynical, people won't stop buying lottery just because not all of the good causes directly affects them.

Also, read the lottery grant thread, theres many many organisations that have got grants and they certainly don't sound like "the rich and aristocracy"
Old 21-07-2006, 18:19   #10
Apprentice Geriatric

Unhappy Re: Lottery Dream Number....GRRRRRR

A scam - con - rip-off - cheat - trick - fiddle - swindle - sting – dodge.

People stopped buying Lottery tickets for two reasons. They realised that the odds were hopelessly against them and the good causes that they thought would be helped were not.

OK! Which genuine people’s good cause has received $10m let alone £50m?

Oh! Yes! Thousands of real good causes have received grants but what was the value? The majority measured in tens of thousands with a few in the hundreds of thousands mark. The bulk of the big money grants has gone to the aristocracy and the rich.

How long has the government been a good cause? It takes several million each week as tax.
Old 21-07-2006, 18:48   #11
God Member

The government dosn't get good cause money though does it? 28p from the pound goes to good causes, 12p to Government. COMPLETLY SEPARATE.

Here are some genuine good causes, could you find me some that have gone to "the aristocracy and the rich" please?
Quote:
Childwall School, Liverpool
Grant: £280,000 from Big Lottery Fund
The Lottery grant was provided for the construction of two purpose built changing
rooms to service a new fitness room and dance studio. The facilities are available
to the 1,300 pupils at Childwall High School, 1,200 adults taking part in night
school education, 2,960 pupils from partner schools and over 25,200 visits per
annum from the wider community. Activities on offer include dance, fitness training
and yoga.
Quote:
Sports Training Village, University of Bath
Grant: £21 million from Sport England
Old 22-07-2006, 12:40   #12
Apprentice Geriatric

Unhappy Re: Lottery Dream Number....GRRRRRR

You are making my case for me Cyfr.

The 12p that the government gets is just to the government and no one else. The 28p that goes to the charities is spread over thousands of good causes. Camelot makes more than any single charity – with a few exceptions and they make it every week. It is very rare that a single good cause gets more than one grant.

Would you be able to use the Sports Training Village? Would anyone from anywhere be able to book some time there to improve their own particular participation in a sport?

What about all the privately owned stately homes that have received multi-million grants? You try to get a chance to look around one of them to see how the Lottery money has been spent. Go on knock on the front door and ask to look around. You can’t even get to the front door let alone being able to knock on it. Some got the grants on the proviso that the home would be open to the public at certain times of the year. Finding out when is practically impossible although the dates and times are often published on a billboard in the grounds. But you can’t get into the grounds to read it.
Old 22-07-2006, 15:21   #13
Give, give, give member

Quote:
The public was coerced into taking part with slick advertising and the message was always “it could be you” and “good causes will benefit”. People including me fell for it like a ton of bricks.

I see advertisments for cat food, but I don't go out and buy it. Neither have I ever bought a lottery ticket ater being hoodwinked by any ad campaign.

People buy them in the hope that they will be rich beyond their wildest dreams, and not to aid good causes. There are plenty of other avenues available if they want to give to charitable causes.

The Lottery isn't a tax, we have a choice if we wish our money to fund some of these dubious good causes.

I'm happy in the knowledge that I've saved over six hundred pounds, instead of buying a weekly ticket since it started, and some of the high profile winners, including rapists and Chav scum, more than counteract the lie that money alone makes you happy.

Old 22-07-2006, 16:47   #14
God Member

Quote:
You are making my case for me Cyfr.

The 12p that the government gets is just to the government and no one else. The 28p that goes to the charities is spread over thousands of good causes. Camelot makes more than any single charity – with a few exceptions and they make it every week. It is very rare that a single good cause gets more than one grant.

Would you be able to use the Sports Training Village? Would anyone from anywhere be able to book some time there to improve their own particular participation in a sport?
You're getting yourself in a twist. You say Camelot makes more than any single charity, but then you go on to complain about how you might not be able to use EVERYTHING that has had a grant. Well, you're sort of contridicting yourself there arnt you, because if I donated money to charity, i'd be donating it expecting it to help someone else, not myself.
Old 22-07-2006, 16:55   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
The Lottery isn't a tax,
Yes it is, it's a tax on stupidity! Who, in their right mind, bets on odds of fourteen million to one?

And as for the grants to schools for changing rooms, education provision is the responsibility of central government and must be paid for from the receipts of general taxation. When the lottery was first proposed John Major's government were at pains to point out that it should not be seen as a substitute for government spending in any area. But under Blair and Brown this is exactly what it has become.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..