Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2006, 14:42   #1
Resting in Peace

Blackburn Royal

This week sees the end of an era for the Health Service in this area with the closure of Blackburn Royal, all services being transfered to Queens Park. I wonder what the thoughts are of members of Accy Web on the end of this building being part of health care in this region.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-07-2006, 14:47   #2
God Member

Re: Blackburn Royal

Progress is progress. There is no room for Victorian relics such as this old pile in the modern day NHS. However, I do hope that before the building is converted into Yuppie flats, the people of Church & Ossy get back their stained glass windows which they so generously benefacted to the hospital over a hundred years ago.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 16:23   #3
God Member

My last visit was not a happy one so in a way I will be glad to see the back of it. The only question I have is; "does centralising services really benifit the community and hospital clients?"

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 16:32   #4
God Member

I don't have good memory's of it and have hated it when I have had to go to or even walk past the intensive care unit so I won't miss it just for that reason alone. Is the parking gonna be any better at the new one!!

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 16:43   #5
Resting in Peace

I too have mixed emotions about the old building, the fact that my Father died there two and a half years ago is the down side, but I have also been treated on many occasions including ICU, but the fact that over 15,000 transfares to QP in a year will improve things and more modern facilities for the patient will be better all round.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 16:56   #6
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: Blackburn Royal

It is always sad to see the demise of an institution that has served the community so well over the years. But it makes sense to centre the whole hospital service in one place. It will also be more cost effective too or at least it should be.

It will also help the residents around the area in that they won’t come home from work or shopping or something to find someone parked in front of their house.

The only problem with a large hospital spread over a huge area like Queens Park or Preston Royal is that people like me, who cannot walk any sort of a distance without suffering but we are not that bad that we need a wheel chair, are going to have problems in getting to where we want go.

On balance though I welcome the closure.
Old 06-07-2006, 18:02   #7
Resident Waffler

It's probably good to have it all in one place. I've been visiting people in one only to find that they've been transferred to the other one and then the next day gone there and found they've been transferred back again! For someone like me with no transport this can be a bit of a problem.

Mind you, the bus service past BRI is better than the one past QP.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 18:50   #8
Beacon of light

I did most of my training at BRI, but funnily enough always felt more at home at QPH. It isn't always best to centralise services..........the bigger a place is the more daunting it is...well, that is my opinion. And the bigger places aren't always more economical to maintain.
The Government was talking about bringing back some satellite services......small community hospitals.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 19:02   #9
Senior Member+

Not sure yet;I had my daughter at QPH some 10 years ago ansd it seemed modern then! Since then she has been treated recently at BRI and the staff have been brilliant though the amenities left a lot to be desired,! Apparently the new building is huge with some corridors over a mile in length. I hope it's a good move for us all.
Old 06-07-2006, 19:16   #10
Beacon of light

I'm very glad I am not involved in the move. I was involved when the gynae ward at BRI moved up to QPH and believe me that was bad enough.
I'm sure that the staff will be working like crazy to make sure that the move is as seamless as possible. I will be thinking about them.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 20:03   #11

Smile Re: Blackburn Royal

i think it sounds ok to me and i look forward becoming ill lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay
This week sees the end of an era for the Health Service in this area with the closure of Blackburn Royal, all services being transfered to Queens Park. I wonder what the thoughts are of members of Accy Web on the end of this building being part of health care in this region.
madmal_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 23:29   #12
God Member

Whats going to happen to the old building?
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 23:46   #13
Give, give, give member

It served it's service and it's community well, but it will be better to have a one centre hospital that is modern and well equiped.

As for it's future weren't plans passed to turn some of it into apartments and some land used for building?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 23:49   #14
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Maybe they will knock it all down and build some more of those quality houses like further up the hill.
Old 06-07-2006, 23:50   #15
God Member

I hope not, Thats what they did to several big houses here. luckily a lot of ours are now listed.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..