Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2006, 12:51   #46
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Re: Blackburn Royal

I've heard that M&M Coaches are running a service to the new RBH.

It's service number 91.

Mon-Sat departs Accrington at 9.35, 11.35, 13.15, 14.25 and 15.45. This service goes via Oswaldtwistle.

Mon-Sat departs RBH at 10.14, 12.14, 13.54, 15.03 and 16.24. Again via Ossy

Hope this helps..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-07-2006, 13:00   #47
God Member

Fantastic. I'm sure the 15.45 from Accy will have alot of takers....get on the bus at Accy, go through Ossy, arrive at RBH 20 minutes later...10 minutes to find the ward.....1 minute to find your friend/relative...30 seconds to say "Howdo...here is your lucozade, choco's and flowers...got to dash...the last bus leaves in 8 1/2 minutes"...then run like the clappers back to the bus stop.

Brilliant.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 14:41   #48
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Actually that's the kind of visiting that appeals to me........I can't stand hospitals.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 17:00   #49
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris
It's just a move from one building in a neighbouring town to another building in a neighbouring town, in my opinion. Far more concerned about the way Accy Vic has been run down over the years. I suppose that's the price of "progress".
With the greatest respect Wynonie.......I think you know nothing about what a move like this constituted. It is nothing like moving house.
Remember that all the services have to be maintained in full function. If you have tried to move hospitals then I would respect your views......but I don't think you have. I have.......and believe me it is no cake walk.

As for the running down of Accrington Victoria, that is a totally different subject.

To all the staff of both hospitals who worked their socks off to effect the move to the new hospital............Well Done, you all deserve a medal!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 18:20   #50
Super Moderator

The original question was what were our thoughts on the end of this building's use as part of the healthcare operation in our region - not on what was involved in the move and how well we think it has been handled.

I was simply expressing the view that it meant very little to me because I have no attachment to the Infirmary or the town it is situated in. Others who have been treated there or who have had relatives in there may feel differently. What's more, I do know a little about the vast amount of work involved in large-scale hospital site moves, because my wife works at Hope Hospital where there have been quite a number of moves over recent years due to the massive redevelopment there. I would certainly never belittle the efforts of staff involved in this but, as I say, that was not my intention.

And, as an Accringtonian, I STILL say that the persistent downgrading of the Vic is of far more concern to me.
Old 11-07-2006, 20:14   #51
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

VERDICT. left 65mins early for my appointment today,to have a good look around,(6/7min journey) arrived in reception 15mins before my appointment,due to around 30min wait in aline for a FULL carpark.asked at reception where is vascular please. the lass looked at the map and said sorry its not on here i dont know where it is! now i am really happy. after wandering aimlessly i find the place i want, FACILITIES = 10/10, the STAFF are great 10/10 the PLANNERS are cretins 2/10 cos they had not the foresight to build a 2/3 story carpark which would have alleviated the problem. could not knock up an accurate hospital map,i ask myself who will get the crap from many disgruntled visitors? it wont be the FACELESS SUITS i think eh? the staff have done great in this transfer theres still workers/builders tramping about,marching over floors as their being mopped,etc, and the staff were all happy souls and very helpful. you all have my deepest sympathy being employed by dummies like them,and me being a cynical sod i hope its worth it.
Old 11-07-2006, 21:25   #52
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris
And, as an Accringtonian, I STILL say that the persistent downgrading of the Vic is of far more concern to me.
I think the questions should be - Do we need Accrington Victoria at all any more? What services are provided and would we be better of closing it and using the 'new' RBH?
Old 11-07-2006, 23:24   #53
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
I think the questions should be - Do we need Accrington Victoria at all any more? What services are provided and would we be better of closing it and using the 'new' RBH?
i think some of the older people might disagree neil as they helped PAY for accy vic.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:28   #54
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I am sure it served it's purpose when it was first built. Was that not before people had cars and taxi's when Blackburn was 'a long way away'?
Old 12-07-2006, 05:45   #55
Super Moderator

Don't forget, Neil, not everybody has a car and not everybody can afford taxis. As for the question of what services are still provided at Accy Vic, I honestly don't know - it's more a gut feeling on my part that this is just part of the way services are being run down in this town, until we just become a suburb of Blackburn. I've been told that the police station shuts at nights these days, the railway station is a shadow of its former self, the bus fleet and garage was sold off...where will it end?
Old 12-07-2006, 07:12   #56
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
I know that's what they say it will be called but I reckon most people will always refer to it as Queen's Park.

To some very old people I guess it will always be known as the 'Blackburn workhouse.'

My great grandmother was so upset when a stay in Queen's Park was necessary, she thought she was being sent to the workhouse and promtly had a heart attack and died before she got in there.

I think a one centre hospital will be much better for all concerned, once any teething troubles have ceased. Parking at the Infirmary was always nigh on impossible.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 12:49   #57
Beacon of light

I know what the post was ORIGINALLY about......but I was making a comment on something that you had posted...maybe it wasn't relevant to the original thread....and maybe we should both have our hands slapped for 'thread wander'.
Old 12-07-2006, 14:35   #58
Super Moderator

Yes, and I was answering the original question, what the end of the BRI meant to me. You were reading something into my comment that wasn't there - ie that I was dismissing the move from one building to another as easy and simple. I wasn't saying that at all.
Old 12-07-2006, 14:41   #59
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: Blackburn Royal

Being one of those very old people that you refer to garinda I can remember the Queens Park Workhouse first hand. As a child of about 8 I took up residence there with my parents and brother just after the war whilst my dad searched for a house or just rooms to rent in Accrington. We also had a spell in Moorlands, I think it was called, on the road from Haslingden to Rawtenstall when a landlord threw us out of one set of digs.

I think that the new BRH will be a rousing success and the old BRI had got past it sell by date by many a year. I never had a problem parking close to BRI but then I have a Blue Badge so I wouldn’t.

As senior moderator on the Golden Talk Forum I make off topic drifters stand in a corner for an hour and for really serious drifters I make them kneel on dried peas.

I will now punish myself for going off topic and stand in a corner for one hour wearing a dunce’s cap.
Old 12-07-2006, 14:43   #60
Beacon of light

Wynonie, I have re-read your post and it does seem quite dismissive in its tone to me...but if I have read something into it that wasn't there, then I apologise...but that was just how it sounded.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..