Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2006, 07:08   #16
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Re: Blackburn Royal

I have very good memories of BRI and my nurse training although, like Margaret, I always felt more at home at QPH.

I took myself on a tour of the new building yesterday whilst at work. This was purely so that I could find important places which I will need to go whilst working. I managed to find pathology dept, GUM clinic, ICU, HDU and A&E. This new unit is massive. There's a main entrance with lots of shops and a big cafe on the mezzanine above the entrance. There are plenty of lifts, wide corridors and lots of new equipment. Clinics were closed at BRI yesterday and today and the move has started ready for clinics on monday. There were staff everywhere in their own clothes shifting furniture, unpacking boxes and arranging their new workplaces....it was chaos. I feel sorry for Grego who has to go to BRI tomorrow to help to move pharmacy. ICU has already moved up and some of the laboratory staff and equipment have moved up too.

There will be plenty of parking, far more than at BRI now. Staff parking areas will be barriered and not available to visitors (about time too). Although the staff do get parking charges deducted from their wages and the barrier swipe cards are not ready just yet, I think the barrier parking will be coming online next week. I have visions of going into work on monday and being unable to get onto the car park.

I don't envy BRI staff having to move this weekend. I remember moving to the new maternity unit, just over 10 years ago now. It seemed so chaotic at the time but within a few weeks it was like we'd always been there.

This new unit is bright, modern and airy, and I very much look forward to having us all on one site.......it will make my job a whole lot easier and I may even be able to catch up with old friends from my nursing days.

The one thing that does make me laugh though is that we have an ambulance 'departure lounge' honestly....If I am sat in a 'departure lounge' I expect a bar..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-07-2006, 08:44   #17
Resting in Peace

Now now Lettie you're talking bout the NHS (a bar!!!!)

Glad you have been able to go in I have yet to enter the new grounds and guess what!!!

I dont know where A&E is!!! and am due to work on Saturday guess I'll have to be a quick learner

Last edited by Ber999T; 07-07-2006 at 13:13.
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 13:20   #18
Filthy / Gorgeous

Lol!!!! Ber999t, it is supposedly easy to find from the outside of the hospital but it took me 20 minutes to find A&E from the inside as it is not yet signposted. It would have been quicker for me to exit the building and walk round..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
Old 07-07-2006, 18:25   #19
God Member

Sounds like a form of heaven Lettie compared to BRI but still dont want to visit unless absolutely nessesery.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 21:09   #20
Super Moderator

It's just a move from one building in a neighbouring town to another building in a neighbouring town, in my opinion. Far more concerned about the way Accy Vic has been run down over the years. I suppose that's the price of "progress".

Last edited by Wynonie Harris; 07-07-2006 at 21:17.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 21:24   #21
God Member

I'm glad this thread was posted or I would have been heading down to the Infirmary still for any casualty and because I have two small children this happens on at least a regular six months basis.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 22:30   #22
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

will be interesting i have a referall on tuesday so will give it the once over, i have mixed feelings with BRI when i have been in i have had nothing but praise for the staff @ my treatment, but nothing but anger over my late dad when he was in.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:23   #23
God Member

I have to agree with Wynonie on this, the way that Accrington Victoria Hospital has been run down over the last few years is a disgrace and should be the cause of a lot more public disquiet than it appears to be. I have many positive memories of Accrington Victoria and I would be more likley to support charitable giving for a local hospital than I would for the vast bureocratic behemoth that QPH has become.

Blackburn Royal Infirmary, by contrast, is a place which has always left me fealing slightly fearful, maybe it's just me but, everyone who I know who has been in there has come out again significantly worse off.... or dead!

In short I favour small and local over vast, expensive and unaccountable. I see no reason why, with all the money that goes into the NHS, every service should not be available at a local level. It is better for patients and for families who visit and is more likley to result in a better standard of general healthcare.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:36   #24
Resting in Peace

I just hope they have a better bus service to the hospital ,
it was very hard to get to QPH on the bus ,but so easy to get to BRI.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 11:32   #25
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
I just hope they have a better bus service to the hospital ,
it was very hard to get to QPH on the bus ,but so easy to get to BRI.
Only ever been up by car never by bus but then its size might be profitable for a bus company to run a service.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 11:44   #26
Filthy / Gorgeous

I believe the buses are actually coming into the grounds and dropping off near the main entrance rather than on Haslingden Rd.

Old 09-07-2006, 11:54   #27
God Member

Can I take this opportunity to whine about my stomach being painfull and me being sick/feeling sick since January? I had a camera down my throat in May, and I have to wait till august to see the consultant again

Perhaps I just demand too much from the NHS, although im sure someone should know what is wrong with me by now, over what, 7months..
Old 09-07-2006, 11:58   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie
I believe the buses are actually coming into the grounds and dropping off near the main entrance rather than on Haslingden Rd.
Yes but is there a direct bus from accy like there was to BRI
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 12:15   #29
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr
Can I take this opportunity to whine about my stomach being painfull and me being sick/feeling sick since January? I had a camera down my throat in May, and I have to wait till august to see the consultant again

Perhaps I just demand too much from the NHS, although im sure someone should know what is wrong with me by now, over what, 7months..
i'd whine cyfr if i was a tory. seriously though 7 months is nothing (should be) i think mick would say that also.usually though i think when they do tests etc, in my experiance they tend to let you know P.D.Q. if theres owt serious.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:26   #30
Resting in Peace

Cyfr if your worried contact your gp who should be able to get your results of the computer system that sholud be on the NHS network from ALL gp's (at least that is what they hope is happening)

new A&E is large and airy and hopefully big enough to cope with all the changes but time will tell
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..