Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-07-2006, 17:14   #31

Re: Lottery Dream Number....GRRRRRR

Who are you, the grammar police? This is a local forum....not an english exam paper. More to the point, little things like that do not make your argument stronger, they only suggest that your losing the debate so have to turn to completely irrelevant, petty things to try make you 'look good'. It hasn't worked.
And anybody would interpret “Shouldn't a lad of your age be out enjoying himself on a Saturday evening?” as personal....who wouldn't? Who's to say a lad of his age HAS to be out on a Saturday night? Is this your stereotypical view of 18 year olds? This was obviously not 'simple questioning' but an actual dig towards him as you're losing the debate.....
And speaking of this debate, what was my thread actually about......hmm....Dream Number I think... but you posted something that has little relevance to what I started....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty
The National Lottery is the biggest scam of all time that the government has perpetrated on the general public.
Erm....Who mentioned scams? How you can interpret a thread being about Dream Number tickets into something about it being a con is beyond me.

Quote:
But then that is what some people do when they do not have a coherent point to make. Read something into what has been written that isn’t there.
.......Exactly.....

Lea
x

Last edited by ploppysirploppy; 23-07-2006 at 17:17.
Accrington Web
Old 23-07-2006, 18:34   #32
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: Lottery Dream Number....GRRRRRR

Do I detect some self opinionated female wrath here?

Now let me see a debate is where two or more people discuss a topic or subject if you like, and put forward their own points of view. It is not a contest where someone wins and someone loses. You could argue that an argument is a contest but this thread is not an argument but a discussion that has drifted off the main topic. That being how annoying it is when the Lottery slips are not filled in correctly. So now you are getting all bitter and twisted because your opening post has drifted off topic to a degree, although it is still about the Lottery. The majority of posts do not stay on topic for very long in this forum. It’s par for the course. I don’t see you castigating other people who take a thread off topic.

I would remind you that it was Cyfr who asked why I thought the Lottery scheme was a scam after presumably reading and understanding my post. I have just responded to his posts.

I do notice that your grammar and spelling are beyond reproach, which is something I guess.
Old 23-07-2006, 19:15   #33

Quote:
Do I detect some self opinionated female wrath here?

Self opinionated? I'm just posting what others are thinking if they read everything that has been said. Female wrath? Not only do you catagorise 18 year olds, you actually bring gender into it....to me, sexism isnt offensive...but it's just another 'little thing' you add to try get to someone's nerves. Next you'll be mentioning the fact I'm 17...

Quote:
.......discussion that has drifted off the main topic.

And who's fault was that....
I'm not getting bitter and twisted about it....I just get slightly annoyed
when you insult someones grammar, and where they should be on a Saturday night when they is just no need for it....and since you've mentioned grammar...I would like to point out that "That being how annoying it is when the Lottery slips are not filled in correctly."..is not a sentence unless you conjoin it with the sentence previously. Petty mentioning this I know, but since you putting "What I have written” Cyfr – written. Only Ernie Wise got away with ‘what I have wrote’"...I thought to myself 'if a 69 year old man can be this petty..why can't I?'

"
The majority of posts do not stay on topic for very long in this forum."....I can see.....the 2nd reply I got changed the subject....yes, not very long...oh, it was your reply.

"I don’t see you castigating other people who take a thread off topic."....I don't see others mentioning grammar or saying where an 18 year old SHOULD be on a Saturday night.

Lea
x
Old 23-07-2006, 20:24   #34
Apprentice Geriatric

Exclamation Re: Lottery Dream Number....GRRRRRR

I wasn’t going to dignify your inane rant with a reply but I have to respond to a few points.

I don’t care if you are 17 or 117 although it is comforting to know that you know what others are thinking. Maybe you should start a stage act with your talent of knowing what other people think.

My you are thin skinned if you think that correcting someone’s grammar is insulting.

If you think that my grammar is incorrect then have it your own way. My grammar and spell checker didn’t object to the paragraph that you refer to.

Now go and look at other posts by other members. If you are going to make a point do so from strength not just one isolated post.

Now where did I say that someone SHOULD be doing something on a Saturday night? Night? Surely I wrote evening! If you cannot quote a person correctly how on earth do you expect your point to be taken seriously? If you recall the sentence was:
“Shouldn’t a lad of your age be out enjoying himself on a Saturday evening?”
That is a far cry from your insinuation.

But then I have come to expect people twisting things around to make their point plausible.

C’est la vie!
Old 23-07-2006, 20:34   #35

Lol.
Just like to say I was grinning thoughout reading that.
Don't rely on a computer spell/grammar checker...use your own brain.
"Now where did I say that someone SHOULD be doing something on a Saturday night?".......you said it when you said “Shouldn’t a lad of your age be out enjoying himself on a Saturday evening?” ...... I thought 'shouldn't' is the opposite to 'should'....hmm...maybe I'm wrong...I'll just check on my computer.....
Lea
x

PS. Evening/Night......Such a big difference to their meanings I'm sure.....

Last edited by ploppysirploppy; 23-07-2006 at 20:41.
Old 23-07-2006, 20:38   #36

Quote:
Maybe you should start a stage act with your talent of knowing what other people think.
And there I was thinking that sarcasm was the lowest "from" of wit... Shucks.

It's very nice of you to inform young wippersnappers like myself of how incorrect our grammar and spelling are, as I'm truly awful at spelling. I am quite grateful when someone points out flaws in my spelling, as it enables me to refrain from making the same mistakes in the future. You however, should probably brush up on your commas as they seem to be lacking in certain places. *Maybe* I should've PMed you about that to dumb down on the public humiliation you may feel.

Let's get back to the point though. You feel that the money should go to causes that are in need of help. I agree wholeheartedly, but let's not make some pretence that people are in the lottery for the good cause. If I were to partake in the lottery, I'd damn well do it for my own desire for wads and wads of cash! If I were a small struggling charity in need of some cash, I do believe that I'd take the time to fill in a request for a helpful donation of money from the lottery. At the age of 61, perhaps you should've wisened up to large corporations making a pretence at being a charitable, happy go lucky, charming firm who only want to look after the impoverished in this world. Maybe I'm a young cynic, but I base it off experience.

And shouldn't a respectable gent like yourself be in bed by this hour?

Last edited by DeShark; 23-07-2006 at 20:41.
Old 23-07-2006, 20:43   #37
God Member

Quote:
Now where did I say that someone SHOULD be doing something on a Saturday night? Night? Surely I wrote evening! If you cannot quote a person correctly how on earth do you expect your point to be taken seriously? If you recall the sentence was:
“Shouldn’t a lad of your age be out enjoying himself on a Saturday evening?”
That is a far cry from your insinuation.
That is being so pedantic, over the words night and evening. Thats a perfect example of why you get up peoples backs.
Old 23-07-2006, 20:51   #38
Len
God Member

Will you lot please..... pack it in??? You’re spoiling a good thread.
Old 23-07-2006, 22:05   #39
God Member

Nice to see the deprived and run down area of childwall get something. My sister used to live there. No pronounced d in childwall.
Pdsa write to me and ask for donations. I used to give until rags got ill and they told us 'sorry pdsa don't cover your post code' . So all that time they'd been collecting money off the good people of Atherstone and the pdsa don't even cover the town.
I didn't realise just how many good ground level good causes benefit from the lottery, that womans forum tea fund for example. I don't benefit from that do I, or do I? what did it really go on. oh yes vj day and international womans week. but as I'm not in accy I don't benefit do I, same as I don't from childwall school, pdsa, or churchill papers, or the Olympics or......

Does that mean that they shouldn't get the money though or that they don't deserve it.

I actually Think I benefit from all of those, the benefit is a better society as a whole, less slums, more community spirit, more civic pride, less suffering animals, a clearer conscience for me, a preserved history, a proud country.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody

Last edited by Len; 23-07-2006 at 22:16. Reason: Sarcasm removed.
Old 24-07-2006, 13:31   #40
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: Lottery Dream Number....GRRRRRR

In days of old when men were bold and women – er I’d better not finish that. Long before the advent of computers people like me used a pen, ink and paper to actually write real letters by hand. Then came the fountain pen and then the ballpoint pen, which made life a bit easier for the letter writer. However I have always had a dictionary to hand to check the spelling of words that I was unsure of. But then I care about what I write.

I do use my both my brain cells Lea but as you get older you tend to forget small relatively unimportant things. So a grammar and spelling checker in a word processor is just another tool to use so why not use it if it is available. It helps to try and make sure that I write what I mean and conversely mean what I write.

Shouldn’t is indeed the opposite of should but if I had used should instead of shouldn’t the whole meaning of the sentence would have changed. Strictly speaking there is no such word as shouldn’t but language evolves over time so it has now become acceptable to use shouldn’t, couldn’t or wouldn’t.

There is a huge difference between evening and night today although I would imagine that over time they would both come to mean the same thing. Right now night means the dark hours and evening means the period between the afternoon and night. When those times are according to a clock is wide open to interpretation. However in general people will view the evening as between 6:00pm and the average going to bed time.

Sarcasm is indeed the lowest form of wit DeShark and can be used effectively on the right occasion.

Ah! The question of commas – a contentious point. When I was taking the “A” level Creating Writing course at Blackburn College several years ago the Professor who marked my work put the comment “so may commas”. Some people like commas all over the place and others do not. But if you feel that my prose is lacking in commas then that is your opinion. I just happen to disagree. Otherwise I would have put more in. Of course I could have combined those last two sentences to satisfy your desire for commas and wrote, “I just happen to disagree, otherwise I would have put more in.”

Er! I’m 69 not 61.

You post was timed at 2138 BST so to answer your question – no it’s too early for a doddering old fart like me to be in bed. There is far too much fun to be had on this forum.

Uh! Oh! An admonishment from Len.

Please sir! Mr Moderator sir! It was him and her and him and me who started it. Please don’t make me kneel on dried peas again!

THE END!
Old 24-07-2006, 13:35   #41
Give, give, give member

Does it check your spelling/grammar in French as well? (See post 34.)

Which is against forum rules, if you check.

Old 24-07-2006, 17:20   #42

You know, we all had the decency to stop when Len asked....but you carried on ranting.....well done...you got the last word...happy?
You must get some kick outta this, oh sorry, that's not acceptable, 'out of' this.
Lea
x
Old 24-07-2006, 21:28   #43
Len
God Member

Lea, well said and thankyou, respect due. It’s a pity others can’t abide.

The End.

Donate to Accyweb here:

Last edited by Len; 24-07-2006 at 21:32.
Closed Thread

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..