Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-08-2007, 17:24   #31
God Member

Re: Look let's face it I'm a miserable Sod!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
A lot of you out there have met the wrong end of my tongue, strange as it may seem not because I don't like you, but because most of you, I do like!

I do however hate accyweb being called because, let's face it, it is only a site, what we put in generates what we get out!

I seem to have a 'thing' against newbies, not true, most newbies come on and add to the site.

Some unfortunately come on and want to correct our wrongs without a please or thank you. That isn't them improving the site, that is them trying to adjust us to their way!

Lot's of us, (myself included), have our own points of view that perhaps could do with adjusting, but not until the newbie has proved themselves worthwhile.

We have had some folk come on recently and they have been disruptive and accused us of all sorts of prejudice, etc, is this because we are intolerant? I think the answer is no.

It's because they want us to be like them, well excuse me, we often argue we sometimes go over the top with some of our comments, but we generally keep an interesting site going.

We don't need to be told how to behave, we have been going long enough for most folk to understand how accyweb works, those that want to alter the majority of us can 'bog off'.
It seems to me that I've heard all this drivel before.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ers-31990.html

Why do feel that you have to defend your actions?
Why not look through your own postings and see where you might have gone wrong and how many people have been hurt by your comments.

Look at the thread link that I have posted and form your own opinion.
Don't for one minute think that all people who disagree with you want to change how the forum is run.

Kipax was absolutely right what he said in the post that was removed.
That was removed for the content of the thread, not what kipax said.

I think you are a grumpy old sod

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-08-2007, 17:27   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
It seems to me that I've heard all this drivel before.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ers-31990.html

Why do feel that you have to defend your actions?
Why not look through your own postings and see where you might have gone wrong and how many people have been hurt by your comments.

Look at the thread link that I have posted and form your own opinion.
Don't for one minute think that all people who disagree with you want to change how the forum is run.

Kipax was absolutely right what he said in the post that was removed.
That was removed for the content of the thread, not what kipax said.

I think you are a grumpy old sod
We were discussing a criminal thug who was threatening all and sundry - whose entire posting record is now obliterated - who made a hit list and sounded like he would use it - understand now?

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 17:32   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
We were discussing a criminal thug who was threatening all and sundry - whose entire posting record is now obliterated - who made a hit list and sounded like he would use it - understand now?
I fully understand.....don't patronise Margaret...That was dealt with quite rightly by the mods....why drag it up again with that drivel??

Old 17-08-2007, 17:46   #34
Beacon of light

I may be thick...or I may have missed something that is relevant to this post, but i don't understand the link to obsessive stalkers...there were things in that post that I didn't understand at the time.......does this mean I am naive?
And would someone care to enlighten me.....well, if it doesn't transgress the rules, that is.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 17:49   #35
Beacon of light

And Royboy, while you may not agree with the point of view that was expressed by Less.....he has a right to express it without it being called 'drivel'....as you have a right to express your opinion too.

It is the differences in opinion that make Accyweb the popular site that it is.
Old 17-08-2007, 17:55   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I may be thick...or I may have missed something that is relevant to this post, but i don't understand the link to obsessive stalkers...there were things in that post that I didn't understand at the time.......does this mean I am naive?
And would someone care to enlighten me.....well, if it doesn't transgress the rules, that is.
This link is similar in many ways.......a sort of resume that people can be attacked by long standing members.......if you read the thread in fully you will see it's not always the new members who cause problems.
When an argument is lost reference is made to character......happened again yesterday.

Old 17-08-2007, 17:57   #37
God Member

Quote:
And Royboy, while you may not agree with the point of view that was expressed by Less.....he has a right to express it without it being called 'drivel'....as you have a right to express your opinion too.

It is the differences in opinion that make Accyweb the popular site that it is.
It is drivel......that is my opinion

Old 17-08-2007, 18:11   #38
Beacon of light

Ok, so you consider it to be drivel and that is your opinion, but it could also be seen as an insult too.
I read through the whole of the thread the first time around....and to be honest there were things that were alluded to that i didn't 'get'....thought it might be some kind of 'in' joke that I had missed in another thread.

Yes, sometimes threads get 'heated', but the business the other night was unreasonable, offensive and threatening....and that cannot be allowed.
I have seen very few threads in my (almost) 3 years as a member here, that have sunk to that level.
Old 17-08-2007, 18:14   #39
Beacon of light

And if Less is a grumpy old sod, then I must be one too because I agree with every word in his first post.
Old 17-08-2007, 18:17   #40
God Member

Quote:
That was dealt with quite rightly by the mods....why drag it up again with that drivel??
I agreed with that

Old 17-08-2007, 18:22   #41
God Member

Quote:
And if Less is a grumpy old sod, then I must be one too because I agree with every word in his first post.
Could you please tell me how a newbie proves themselves worthwhile? I agree that what went on the other night was disgraceful, but not all "newbies" behave like that!
Old 17-08-2007, 18:22   #42
God Member

Quote:
I fully understand.....don't patronise Margaret...That was dealt with quite rightly by the mods....why drag it up again with that drivel??
Quote:
If I agreed with that I would be in trouble

Old 17-08-2007, 18:27   #43
Beacon of light

In the very recent past there have been members who proved themselves to be 'Trolls'.....I didn't know that word in the context of new members who provoked arguments between members of a well established site......I thought that trolls were mythical beings of Norse origin......but these people caused a lot of bad feeling for a while there....I'm not sure if you were around at the time Royboy, but they insulted a lot of the long standing members here......maybe that has some bearing on the current discussion.

Personally, I have always tried to be courteous to other members of the forum, bearing in mind that there are many viewpoints to subjects other than my own, I have never knowingly insulted a member or given bad karma for someone expressing an opinion different to mine......New members are vital to keep discussion going and to bring fresh ideas too, but some of them have not been an asset to the site at all....and once they have caused trouble they then say what a rotten place it is......well, there is a solution to that......if you(and that you is a collective term) don't like what is going on on here then don't come onto the forum. Simple as.
Old 17-08-2007, 18:28   #44
Beacon of light

And why do you think you would be in trouble Royboy?
Old 17-08-2007, 18:34   #45
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Could you please tell me how a newbie proves themselves worthwhile? I agree that what went on the other night was disgraceful, but not all "newbies" behave like that!
I agree Bernadette, of course not all 'newbies' are like that....and as for your question, I can't really answer that either. I can tell you that when i was a 'newbie' I contributed to the threads that interested me and where i had an opinion.....I certainly didn't use bad language or insult members of the forum......I read back through many of the posts before I began posting much...purely to get a feel for the place.
I didn't bad mouth the site either......there is a lot of work that goes into the running of a site like this and I value the effort put into it.

I don't think you can generalise about newbies.....or anything else for that matter, although we all do invariably do it at some point or another.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..