Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-02-2010, 11:11   #1
God Member

Shrove Tuesday

For those of you who havent realised yet, its pancake day today, like last year they havent advertised it like they used to on TV......just reminding you though
Old 16-02-2010, 11:39   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Shrove Tuesday

Daughter rang up this morning, numpty wanted to know - How ya make Pancakes.
Old 16-02-2010, 13:26   #3
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Was she not brung up right
Old 16-02-2010, 13:50   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
There are 1,690,00 recipes on google,Hope you find one suitable for her.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2010, 14:54   #5
I am Banned

Quote:
Go on then don't be shy, how do you make pancakes.
Haven't tasted one in donkeys years.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2010, 15:06   #6
God Member

£1 ready mix in a bottle just shake and pour

sure iv seen them in asda or tesco

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2010, 15:10   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Go on then don't be shy, how do you make pancakes.
Haven't tasted one in donkeys years.

Retlaw.
4 oz flour,egg,pinch o salt, half pint milk, sieve flour n salt, add egg or eggs n enough liquid to make it sticky beat crap out of it then add rest, if ya wanna be posh chuck tablespoon of olive oil in, bit of oil or lard in hot pan n jobs a good un.
Old 16-02-2010, 15:15   #8
God Member

I have just looked on the Mysupermarket site at several pancake mixes.
What a rip off! They are charging for salted flour with a bit of skimmed milk powder in it and 'add your own egg'.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2010, 15:57   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
4 oz flour,egg,pinch o salt, half pint milk, sieve flour n salt, add egg or eggs n enough liquid to make it sticky beat crap out of it then add rest, if ya wanna be posh chuck tablespoon of olive oil in, bit of oil or lard in hot pan n jobs a good un.
Best served with a sirloin steak and trimmings.

Old 16-02-2010, 19:25   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
£1 ready mix in a bottle just shake and pour

sure iv seen them in asda or tesco
2 for a £1 in Asda

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 06:09   #11
Resting in Peace

Ingredients
For the pancake mixture:
110g/4oz plain flour, sifted
pinch of salt
2 eggs
200ml/7fl oz milk mixed with 75ml/3fl oz water
50g/2oz butter
To serve:
sugar
lemon juice/orange juice
Method
Sift the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl with a sieve held high above the bowl so the flour gets a airing. Now make a well in the centre of the flour and break the eggs into it. Then begin whisking the eggs - any sort of whisk or even a fork will do - incorporating any bits of flour from around the edge of the bowl as you do so.

Next gradually add small quantities of the milk and water mixture, still whisking (don't worry about any lumps as they will eventually disappear as you whisk). When all the liquid has been added, use a rubber spatula to scrape any elusive bits of flour from around the edge into the centre, then whisk once more until the batter is smooth, with the consistency of thin cream. Now melt the 50g/2oz of butter in a pan. Spoon 2 tbsp of it into the batter and whisk it in, then pour the rest into a bowl and use it to lubricate the pan, using a piece of kitchen paper to smear it round before you make each pancake.

Now get the pan really hot, then turn the heat down to medium and, to start with, do a test pancake to see if you're using the correct amount of batter. I find 2 tbsp is about right for an 18cm/7in pan. It's also helpful if you spoon the batter into a ladle so it can be poured into the hot pan in one go. As soon as the batter hits the hot pan, tip it around from side to side to get the base evenly coated with batter. It should take only half a minute or so to cook; you can lift the edge with a palette knife to see if it's tinged gold as it should be. Flip the pancake over with a pan slice or palette knife - the other side will need a few seconds only - then simply slide it out of the pan onto a plate.

To serve, sprinkle each pancake with freshly squeezed lemon/orange juice and sugar, fold in half, then in half again to form triangles, or else simply roll them up.

This makes 10 7in pancakes i know as this is how many i had yesterday

Last edited by Mick; 17-02-2010 at 06:14.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 07:19   #12
Resting in Peace

You are not a ****** then?

Old 17-02-2010, 07:26   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
You are not a ****** then?
not where pancakes are concerned but being a mod on here i have been called that a few times
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 08:36   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
not where pancakes are concerned but being a mod on here i have been called that a few times

Who would dare call you that mick?
Old 17-02-2010, 10:06   #15

Shrove Tuesday, also known as Pancake Day in Britain, is the day before Ash Wednesday and the start of Lent - 'Shrove' stems from old English word 'shrive', meaning 'confess all sins'. It is called Pancake Day because it is the day traditionally for eating pancakes as pancake recipes were a way to use up any stocks of milk, butter and eggs which were forbidden during the abstinence of Lent.

Did you all confess your sins??

I can remember silly ladies running down Lime Avenue in Ossie with their pancakes in a frying pan. The winner was the one who crossed the line with her pancake still in one piece!
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..