Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree106Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-12-2012, 10:56   #181
Senior Member+

Re: Wandering off thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
No, no ... Nazi Germany started after the Battle of the Teutoborg Forest in 9 CE. That's a 2003 year wander ... maybe that's some sort of record
I cant compete with time travel, you win the prize.
Accrington Web
Old 28-01-2013, 09:01   #182
I am Banned

As you know, I’ve had an absolute spanking from the moderators on here for some of my posts, I now know what it must have been like to be locked in a room with Cyril Smith back in the late 60’s. Anyroad, the upshot of it was as I was encouraged to take a break for a few weeks.
On top of all that Wandering Walter phoned saying “Look D you have no friends on Facebook, the postie wasn’t exactly tested delivering your Chrismas cards, Mick the Mod doesn’t return your calls and there’s only Bumble, and Dave Salmon tweeting you from Accy. And then he goes and dies on me so what with arranging his funeral and with feeding my geese time has just flown.
Let’s just see what 2013 brings us.
Old 28-01-2013, 09:57   #183
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Welcome back.
Old 28-01-2013, 09:58   #184
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
As you know, I’ve had an absolute spanking from the moderators on here for some of my posts, I now know what it must have been like to be locked in a room with Cyril Smith back in the late 60’s. Anyroad, the upshot of it was as I was encouraged to take a break for a few weeks.
On top of all that Wandering Walter phoned saying “Look D you have no friends on Facebook, the postie wasn’t exactly tested delivering your Chrismas cards, Mick the Mod doesn’t return your calls and there’s only Bumble, and Dave Salmon tweeting you from Accy. And then he goes and dies on me so what with arranging his funeral and with feeding my geese time has just flown.
Let’s just see what 2013 brings us.
Oh Hum
Old 28-01-2013, 10:41   #185
Beacon of light

Welcome back from me too!
Old 28-01-2013, 15:15   #186
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Welcome back.
Hey Mr C thanks..
..did you speak to Banni' about how he came to be called "the Beast"?
Old 28-01-2013, 15:59   #187
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Hey Mr C thanks..
..did you speak to Banni' about how he came to be called "the Beast"?
Yeh asked him up stanley, twas actually before he left school.
Old 31-01-2013, 15:15   #188
I am Banned

Quote:
The main distraction yon was Eileen,the landlady of the "Welcome Inn" she used to come down every morning fer a paper n say good morning lads, Then at dinner time when we got changed,serve us pints of bitter.
What was the name of the bakers next door to the Tech?.... I was musing the other day about their freshly baked cobs..at dinner time used to scoop out the warm dough and fill the void with crisps. The owners daughters in the shop were alway a reason to visit.
Old 31-01-2013, 15:42   #189
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
What was the name of the bakers next door to the Tech?.... I was musing the other day about their freshly baked cobs..at dinner time used to scoop out the warm dough and fill the void with crisps. The owners daughters in the shop were alway a reason to visit.
Lockwoods was the baker, Liz was the daughter. she would be eldest i think, the way she was built anyway.
DtheP47 likes this.
Old 31-01-2013, 17:06   #190
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Lockwoods was the baker, Liz was the daughter. she would be eldest i think, the way she was built anyway.
Roy was the brother, his wife was a councillor untill she sadly died a couple of years ago.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:51   #191
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Roy was the brother, his wife was a councillor untill she sadly died a couple of years ago.
Aye but nobody i know went in fer a sight of Roy.
jaysay likes this.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:03   #192
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Aye but nobody i know went in fer a sight of Roy.
daft sod
Old 02-02-2013, 10:07   #193
I am Banned

Thumbs up Re: Wandering off thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Where is above and where is below the lamp?

Seeing as most people born around here are born in Burnley General there are not many true Gobbinners left
Have you seen the piece in this weeks Observer Neil? Front page and #22
Old 02-02-2013, 15:27   #194
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Have you seen the piece in this weeks Observer Neil? Front page and #22

I noticed the picture on the front with Sophie pole dancing but have not read it yet
Old 03-02-2013, 17:30   #195
I am Banned

Where were we? Oh yes how did Gambler Caves get their name?

.. I am having difficulties embracing the concept of a people wending their way up onto Moleside just to toss a few coins, surely there were enough shibeens and late night pub lock ins in the olden day Accy for this to happen in more salubrious, secure and comfortable surrounding? I can’t imagine the “rozzers” going up there either, easier pickings in the town I woulda’ thought.

It was a dark and stormy night. Sergeant to rookie Peeler “ Get thi’ cape n whistle lad and get thi’sen up to Gamblers Caves and catch some badlads and put em’ in’t pokie, toot three times if you need help”
Rookie to Sergeant “Why Sarge, what goes on up yon?”
Doh !

The story I heard from Wandering Walter was: A lad called Zebediah who was a degenerate gambler lived up on Moleside with his brother Obadiah. One day (sometime after Obadiah's mother died of unknown reasons), Zebediah considering himself on a "lucky streak"; played a game of Russian roulette right there in the cave and on the stone slab we Woodnookers and Mr C thought was a sacrificial altar his luck ran out and he shot himself in the head right in front of young Obadiah. That would explain the bloodstains Mr C. This trauma caused Obadiah to lose all of his hair and go bald and shaped him for years to come.
Closed Thread

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..