Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2004, 20:48   #16

Re: Pub in Clayton le Moors

Another gilmartin lived in that vicinity on haythorn terrace his name tony he drove a 8 wheel tipper for the national coal board based at the altham garage alas he is now deceased
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-03-2004, 21:02   #17
mez
God Member

my dad drove a wagon for n. c. b. based at altham back in the late 40s/50s
Old 09-03-2004, 05:39   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith
Another gilmartin lived in that vicinity on haythorn terrace his name tony he drove a 8 wheel tipper for the national coal board based at the altham garage alas he is now deceased
That must have been Tony the son of Tommy Gilmartin. He was a HGV driver when I was at Allspeeds, and often came into the firm to see his Dad. What a pity.

He was a bit younger than I was, He should have been around 55/56 now. I didn't know he had died.
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 19:49   #19

The Tony gilmartin I knew who worked for the coal board would now have been nearly ninety a giant of a man six foot plus and served in the armed forces during the second world war and living were he did had not far to go to work
Old 09-03-2004, 20:34   #20

to mez I may have known your father when I left the raf regiment I was unsure what to do next so my father who was then the night coach driver picking up miners working on night sift round the different pits in the area suggested I took a temporary job along side my brother who also working at the coal board garage in fact I stayed there ten years till it all closed down so middle fifties till 65 I then went to work for the gilbraith group
Old 09-03-2004, 21:34   #21
mez
God Member

he was known as nobby clarkson, he went there after he was demobbed
Old 10-03-2004, 19:53   #22

sorry mez your dad must have left when I started at the coal board there was a nobby clarke who went from the wagons to driving diggers a much better paid job I use to give hima lift home sometimes on my matchless G9 500 twin motorbike he lived in church I would drop him off opposite the stag pub harry is proper name was very popular with all the other drivers and it was quite a shock when he collapsed and died leaving a fairly young family AnywayI will ask my brother as he started there long before I did
Old 10-03-2004, 20:00   #23
mez
God Member

no we lived up fern gore at the time , then moved to church i think my dad went to nori brick works but cant remember when, ( must be having a long senior moment) ha ha ha/

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..