Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-02-2004, 18:43   #1
Senior Member+

Pub in Clayton le Moors

Hi, sorry for the quality of this photograph, but its all I can find at the moment of the Load of Mischief. Thought you Clayton folk might care to see it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Loadofmischiefclaytonlemoors.JPG (90.2 KB, 269 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-02-2004, 07:55   #2
Senior Member+

That would be the Hare and Hounds.
Old 16-02-2004, 08:22   #3
Caz
God Member

Erm, no that would be the "Load of Mischief", Mik.

It was diagonally accross from the Hare & Hounds.

If you look at the Pic it actually has the name of the pub over the door.
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2004, 08:28   #4
Senior Member+

Thanks Cazzer for helping an old dyslexic
Old 16-02-2004, 12:14   #5
God Member

A Special Occaision....

There was obviously something going on when this picture was taken. A wedding? A procession outside? An outing? Any description with the piccy, Atarah? It looks like another piccy from c1905, but the quality unfortunatly is not good enough to draw a few suggestions as to what is happening & why the piccy was taken....
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2004, 09:34   #6
Senior Member+

Load of Mischief

Grief Tealeaf, you sure ask some hard questions. Dunno, sorry. Its just an old fading piccy I have. Possibly a procession about 1910.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2004, 12:24   #7
God Member

1910?

...possibly the Coronation of George V ?
Old 18-02-2004, 05:19   #8
Senior Member+

Juist could have been a big family going for a walk.I think not though
Old 18-02-2004, 18:03   #9
mez
God Member

could they be gathering for the " whit walks " did they take place in that era?
Old 19-02-2004, 14:52   #10
God Member

First Electric Tram

...I think it's September 1907 & the crowds are waiting to see the first electric tram to arrive at the terminus, the Load of Mischeif.
Old 01-03-2004, 06:03   #11

Its the Load of Mischief, I lived just a few doors down on Blackburn Rd, It turned out to be a gay pub in the 60s, when gay meant being happy, stopped going there when one guy tried to kop on to me, I couldnt believe it Id known him all my life and didnt know he was gay, I must have been pretty nieve about that sort of thing in those faf off days.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 11:08   #12

On an old map I have of Clayton-le-moors, the area around the Hare &Hounds etc., was known as "Henfield". And the pub pictured was known as the "Land of Mischief". Does anybody know why (apart from humour) it was changed to "Load of Mischief".

I worked at Allspeeds (Atlas Street) in the mid to late 60's and often went in 'tut "Load" for pint, especially Friday dinner times.

That's when Thwaites was for Mates, Duttons was for Gluttons, and if you could supp Lions...you could tame 'em!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 13:48   #13
God Member

"Henfield" became known as Enfield, hence the Cricket Club. It's actually an old term for the area of Whinney Hill - if you read about the history of the Civil War in Accy & it's environs, reference is made to Henfield (It served as a look out post, among other things)
Old 07-03-2004, 22:04   #14

Re: Pub in Clayton le Moors

Darby, Knew a few people who worked at allspeeds, in 60s, Kevin Gilmartin, David Swindles, Gordon Ashworth, Barbra King, but mosly remember it as the Royal Mill, we used to swing on the gates, or swim in the lodges up the back there were three of them on different levels.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 07:12   #15

Re: Pub in Clayton le Moors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin
Darby, Knew a few people who worked at allspeeds, in 60s, Kevin Gilmartin, David Swindles, Gordon Ashworth, Barbra King, but mosly remember it as the Royal Mill, we used to swing on the gates, or swim in the lodges up the back there were three of them on different levels.
Yeah, I knew them all, especially Gordon Ashworth. He use to be friendly with Stan Drinkwater. Mick Pettifer must have lived near to you, he, his dad and hios mum all worked there during the 60's.

Same with the Drinkwaters. Stan, Alan, and Frank (played for Enfield) were all there at during the 60's. I last saw Stan about 18 months ago in Accy.

Were you related to Tommy Gilmartin (he had a gammy leg due to having Polio as a kid)? I worked next to him for nearly 4 years, he was a grand bloke and was a committee member at the "Bottom Club".

Another lad who was there at the same time, was Fred Gorton. I use to play football with him on Saturday afternoons in the Accy Combination. Happy days!!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..