Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-02-2004, 10:02   #1
Senior Member+

Clock in Arndale

Hey, its just said on the radio that they are gonna get rid of the clock in the Arndale (which does not open anymore!) and replace with tables and chairs for an open style cafe. Nice one! I never did like the clock, it even scared me!!! The "Father Time" clock was designed by Andy Plant, after he won BB2's "Great Egg Race" in 1986. The sculpture centres around a globe made from a welded steel frame covered with a beaten aluminium skin, the land masses standing out in relief. On the top of the world sits a sleeping Father Time on a bicycle. Approaching the quarter hour, a little schoolboy slowly creeps (er, crept, past tense!!) out from the top of the world, aiming to swipe Father Time's alarm clock. But the old man stirs and the schoolboy retreats (BET YOU NEVER KNEW THAT, EH?). Then, on the hour, Father Time wakes to his ringing alarm, and sets off on his bike. As he begins, he rises up into the Arndale Centre's feature dome on a cloud followed by two flying cherubs. At the same time, the world begins to spin and opens to reveal a fun band playing "Rock Around the Clock" on drums, accordion, maraccas and tambourine (FUN BAND!! It used to scare the daylights out of me!!!) The performance over, the world closes and Father Time returns to the top of the globe and his slumbers.
See, I am full of useless information!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resizeofclock.JPG (44.7 KB, 175 views)

Last edited by Atarah; 13-02-2004 at 10:22.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-02-2004, 10:45   #2
God Member

Clock going....

What's going to happen to the clock? Is it going to be offered for sale - so someone can at least try and fix it and give it a good home? Or is it going to be re-located somewhere? Or is it going to go out by the usual Accy method, i.e. demolition?

And whats all this about a cafe? Lets hope it's not a Starbucks or a Costa Coffee........like MacDonalds and the AIDS virus, you can't stop 'em from spreading. I fear it will be. Still, no doubt it will compliment the new witherspoons pub, so all the happy tartan-clad drinkers can stagger out their smoke-free pub, crawl through the Arndale Centre and with their hard-earned savings from the pub spend 3 quid on a double expresso-mocco, all before 3 o'oclock on a saturday afternoon.

Pass the de-cafe, someone.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2004, 10:55   #3
Senior Member+

I cant see why they cannot leave the clock were it is,does'nt take up much room does it? but saying that i always thought it was a monstrosity myself.
Old 13-02-2004, 16:52   #4
Roy
Administrator

give over - the clock is the most interesting place in the arndale, it gives us something look at and is a talking point. It certainly was working about 2-3 months ago when I showed it to my Russian girlfriend who thought it was strange but at least slightly more interesting than a clothes shop. To fix it would certainly not be difficult, that is a poor excuse. Maybe they switched it off after they recieved an offer from an evil company like starbucks for a cafe in the middle, they certainly will make more money from that than just having the clock there... So there you go, the Arndale Clock conspiracy, is it really not working or is it just switched off?
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2004, 16:58   #5
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Talks are being held with Hyndburn First, regarding a new home for the clock, but nothing has been finalised. This is according to this weeks Observer, they are putting out an appeal for someone to take the monstrous thing off their hands. Never been fond of the clock, but don't think it should be scrapped, as I'm sure plenty of people like it. As for the coffee place, I can't see it being a Starbucks etc. Will probably be coffee, sandwich and a cake for a quid!!!! Which should fit in quite nicely round these parts..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2004, 17:03   #6
Roy
Administrator

hmmm.... a new home for the clock, where could it go apart from there? Are there any other centre pieces for accrington? Where will the young uns meet, as that was the latest "under the clock" meeting place. Hows about waterproofing it and sticking it up the top of the coppice, it'd sure be better than the UFO!
Old 13-02-2004, 17:12   #7
Resting in Peace

This is in the OBSERVER
The death knell has sounded for the unique Father Time clock in Accrington's Arndale Centre.
The extravagant centrepiece which at one time drew in big crowds,is set to be pulled down to make way for an open-plan cafe in the Arndale's main gathering point.
The change set to be giventhe green light by planning chiefs today will mark the end of an era.
The colourful clock which opens into a flower revealing fairyland creatures playing Rock Around the clock has been in place since the centre's opening in 1987.
However it has not been working since October due to problems with the three motors.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2004, 17:17   #8

Going back a few weeks there were posts made on here about the clock on the bus station, and how people had memories of the clock for meeting etc.
Although the the clock in the arndale may not be an impressive masterpiece, everybody knows it, and for many of the younger generation in accy it is a landmark in the town. People may say that it is a waste of space but to me and many others it will be a sad occasion if/when it is removed, and lets be honest if it disregarded area of accy why did the subject get posted here and why is it getting a resonse!!!!!!!!

People work for money!
If you want loyalty, get a dog!!!
WINGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2004, 17:33   #9
Roy
Administrator

I'm sorry but the excuse about it failing does not wash over on me. I am an engineer and I work on machines far more complicated than that clock. A 1 day call out is all it would take to repair it(+new parts delivery) - I would quite happily volunteer my services for free to repair it, if it meant it would stay.
Old 13-02-2004, 17:37   #10

I agree! the clock is part of accy and i would offer free services ( as a Qualified Mechanical Engineer) if it meant the clock could live on

People work for money!
Old 13-02-2004, 17:44   #11
Resting in Peace

quote from the observer i ant typing it all in so there
We appeal to anyone who could provide a home for it to come forward.
We are in talks with Hyndburn FIRST about possibly putting it in the Market Hall
but nothing is finalised.
We would be very interested to hear people's ideas about where it could go .
I would like to ensure it is still on public display.
Old 13-02-2004, 17:46   #12
Roy
Administrator

anyway, according to the observer the plannig chiefs will have already given the go-ahead. Did we all only find out about this today, nice bit of notice if we did. What will be next? There isn't much left that they could rip down - perhaps they might want to build a new housing estate on the coppice, it wont take much to pull it down and level it. I think wetherspoons should hold out, it wont be long before the market hall will be available, or even the town hall!
Old 13-02-2004, 17:53   #13

As an engineer that spends most of his working life relocating machinery, i am 99% sure that if the clock is broken, then it would cost far more to relocate than repare it.
And if there is a contract available for moving it then i will put my name on the list for the job, that way i may be able to retire at 30 at the tax payers expence like many other spongers do!!!!

People work for money!

Last edited by WINGY; 13-02-2004 at 17:57.
Old 13-02-2004, 17:57   #14
Resting in Peace

HEAD LINE IN THE OBSERVER
FUTURISTIC BUS STATION ON CAR PARK
Plans to build a state-of the-art indoor bus station in Accrington have been unveiled
to be build on land borderd by Union street Edger Street and School street
Old 13-02-2004, 18:00   #15

good subject Mick but should this not have been a new thread??????

People work for money!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..