Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree26117Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 14:54   #1726
Beacon of light

Re: Today in pictures

They went Thursday to Tuesday, but were off work for two weeks.
Return to work day is tomorrow.
The bird on the chimney looked bigger than the usual pigeon...and it was brighter I think because of the golden glow from the sunset...but I am not an expert on birds...but that is what I was told by the chap in the next room to us........we shared a patio.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-08-2012, 15:02   #1727
Beacon of light

I have been looking again at the bird....it could be a pigeon with delusions of grandeur. You know how snooty they can be in Lytham St Annes...they think they are royalty....just because t hey live there.
Anyway here is another pic. I'll let you decide what it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF5420 (640x480).jpg (135.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 12-08-2012, 15:12   #1728
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I have been looking again at the bird....it could be a pigeon with delusions of grandeur. You know how snooty they can be in Lytham St Annes...they think they are royalty....just because t hey live there.
Anyway here is another pic. I'll let you decide what it is.
Oh yes they're definitely one up in Lytham - was going to say surprised they let you in but didn't want you to take it the wrong way...

Anyway - I reckon it's a woodpigeon - collared doves don't have the grey head and also you can see the white ring at the back of the neck in the second pic... and the beak is yellow but black in the dove. Dove is smaller too.

We have lots of both of them round here in the cemetery behind the house - they fight the seagulls for the bread we put out!

Fraser Simpson's Birding Website
Old 12-08-2012, 15:31   #1729
Beacon of light

yes, it was definitely the right size for a wood pigeon.....and I wouldn't have taken offence at the comment Sue......I'm much too 'down to earth' for that....anyway I was going as a lady's companion.
They let Ma in because she has the B.E.M.
And we are going again in just less than a month.
Staying at the Clifton Park Hotel. This visit was our first there and Ma loved it....so much so that when we arrived back home Friday afternoon, she was on the phone right away to see when we could go again.
It is going to be wonderful, because Greg is taking us and bringing us home.......so the trip there will take about an hour......same with the trip back. This heaven for Ma.
Old 12-08-2012, 16:08   #1730
Resting In Peace

Quote:
yes, it was definitely the right size for a wood pigeon.....and I wouldn't have taken offence at the comment Sue......I'm much too 'down to earth' for that....anyway I was going as a lady's companion.
They let Ma in because she has the B.E.M.
And we are going again in just less than a month.
Staying at the Clifton Park Hotel. This visit was our first there and Ma loved it....so much so that when we arrived back home Friday afternoon, she was on the phone right away to see when we could go again.
It is going to be wonderful, because Greg is taking us and bringing us home.......so the trip there will take about an hour......same with the trip back. This heaven for Ma.
Lucky you... except I'm really not keen on that part of the world - but very convenient for you and Ma. I guess this time you went by coach - or am I reading too much into the Southport pics on Flickr??

Lady's companion - very Room with a View...
Old 12-08-2012, 16:22   #1731
Senior Member+

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG Just a few pics taken at random in my yard.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 16:29   #1732
Beacon of light

Yes we travelled with Alfa......set off from Bank Street at 07.50 and didn't get to St Annes until almost 2pm. Had a very unsatisfactory stop off (supposedly for lunch) at Botany Bay. I queued 25 minutes for a coffee and a hot chocolate....to say the service was bad would be an understatement...the coffee was dire too.
Greg brought us home Friday lunch time and it was bliss to have a speedy ride home.
I had the washing done and pegged out by the time our travelling companions had got to Burtonwood.

I'm not keen on Blackpool - I did go, to see if the money being spent has made any difference...it hasn't, I still don't like it.
Lytham and St Annes are alright...not exciting, but alright.......and I did get ma out of the room....to Southport and for a blow along the pier.
So that was good. She enjoyed being pampered. She had different people to chat to and she sat out on our patio in the fresh air....all good.
Old 12-08-2012, 18:11   #1733
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Frank pic 5, looks like the "Yeah, whatever" look to me. Know it well from our Hounds. And Ma your pic 3 , the gang doing one can't say I blame them, having snotty nosed, ice cream sticky kidlets rubbing their grubby paws into their fur, and it's definitely a "Woody" on the Chimney.

Last edited by DaveinGermany; 12-08-2012 at 18:17.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 18:57   #1734
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Frank pic 5, looks like the "Yeah, whatever" look to me. Know it well from our Hounds. And Ma your pic 3 , the gang doing one can't say I blame them, having snotty nosed, ice cream sticky kidlets rubbing their grubby paws into their fur, and it's definitely a "Woody" on the Chimney.
I can see a theme developing here... DiG, Dianne and Margaret...

Sadly we don't have donkeys on the beach in Morecambe

Glad my birding knowledge was corroborated by such an eminent authority... how many of those have you shot in your time Dave?
Old 12-08-2012, 19:11   #1735
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
He was for a change completely cream crackered after a long walk ( which he ran twice the distance) around entwistle and wahoy reservoirs. I didn't take any of my cameras as It was threatening rain.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 19:35   #1736
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
I tried to photo one of those long legged spiders, I couldn't get enough into focus to make sense, good for you.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 19:38   #1737
Senior Member+

Quote:
Yes we travelled with Alfa......set off from Bank Street at 07.50 and didn't get to St Annes until almost 2pm. Had a very unsatisfactory stop off (supposedly for lunch) at Botany Bay. I queued 25 minutes for a coffee and a hot chocolate....to say the service was bad would be an understatement...the coffee was dire too.
Greg brought us home Friday lunch time and it was bliss to have a speedy ride home.
I had the washing done and pegged out by the time our travelling companions had got to Burtonwood.

I'm not keen on Blackpool - I did go, to see if the money being spent has made any difference...it hasn't, I still don't like it.
Lytham and St Annes are alright...not exciting, but alright.......and I did get ma out of the room....to Southport and for a blow along the pier.
So that was good. She enjoyed being pampered. She had different people to chat to and she sat out on our patio in the fresh air....all good.
From your photos I was thinking Lytham wasn't too bad a place after all, having said that I've never been, passed through, but never stopped.
Old 12-08-2012, 19:46   #1738
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
I tried to photo one of those long legged spiders, I couldn't get enough into focus to make sense, good for you.
Well Frank's has only got six legs left, perhaps that made a difference...
Old 12-08-2012, 19:53   #1739
Senior Member+

Today in Pictures, Oak Hill and Haworth Park after the improvements.

1. Oak Hill Main gate, very floral.
2. Up past the Rockery.
3. This fungi was the size of a dustbin lid.
4. From the front of Haworth Art Gallery looking over to the Coppice and Hameldon.
5. The newly opened Rose Garden.
6. A view of the gallery from the rose garden.
7. Looking toward the rose garden from the side of the gallery.
8. I used to work here, a bit neglected now, it used to house the horses and carriages for the "big house"
9. Back down through Oak Hill.
10. On the way down the hill, a view over the bandstand across to the Coppice, you can just see the monument on the top, its the bit with no trees on, right on the top.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0483.JPG (495.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0510.JPG (458.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0514.JPG (490.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0537.JPG (498.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0540.JPG (429.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0555.JPG (429.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0574.JPG (483.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0592.JPG (487.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0597.JPG (486.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0607.JPG (392.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 12-08-2012, 19:55   #1740
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Well Frank's has only got six legs left, perhaps that made a difference...
I suppose if it tried to run off, it would go around in circles.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..