Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree26117Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-08-2012, 08:16   #1756
God Member

Re: Today in pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I'm not keen on Blackpool - I did go, to see if the money being spent has made any difference...it hasn't, I still don't like it.
Lytham and St Annes are alright...not exciting, but alright.......and I did get ma out of the room....to Southport and for a blow along the pier.
So that was good. She enjoyed being pampered. She had different people to chat to and she sat out on our patio in the fresh air....all good.
I went back to Blackpool in April to find the guest houses my Gt-Grandmother used to run. They have spent a lot on the front and it looks very new and clean but sterile and has too much concrete for me. I am a bit of a romantic and like to remember Blackpool in its heydays - it's a bit down-market and too tacky in parts but does have some lovely areas -North pier is still very Victorian -perhaps they should play more on the towns past...
Cleveleys seafront is much the same -a massive effort to clean it up but swathes of concrete although they have put in some nice wind break shelters with coloured lighting which are pretty in the evening.

Southport was another of our regular day-trips as kids - much nicer feel to it and some lovely shops.

Fleetwood is also very nice and the seafront has some interesting features and retains a more old-fashioned feel -they also have fabulous fish and chips at The North Euston Hotel right on the front -it's fun to go on the trams too though they rattle you about a bit!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-08-2012, 08:24   #1757
God Member

A few photos from yesterday. A lovely yellow hibiscus flower at a friend's house. In the evening we went to a place called Isola Serafina where there's a massive Hydro-electric power station across the River Po. Several shots of this, a beach in a crazy place just below it -and there were people on it! You can see where they dredge sand out of the river beyond the dam and also how it is much smaller after the dam and the typical flat countryside with managed Poplar woodlands.

We went through some lovely villages with castles etc -but my companions would not collaborate and let me stop to take pics

Had a meal out in Trattoria and finally went to see our friends son who was night-time fishing on the Po just outside Cremona.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hibiscus 1.jpg (27.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Hibiscus.jpg (24.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Hydro-electric station on River Po at Isola Serafina.jpg (21.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Isola Serafina.jpg (24.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Dredging for sand on the River PO.jpg (35.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Beach on the PO.jpg (14.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg The Po below Isola Serafina.jpg (21.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Night-time fishing on the Po.jpg (19.1 KB, 8 views)

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 13-08-2012, 09:10   #1758
Senior Member+

My wife has stayed at the North Euston a few times before she got too ill. I always managed to book her a nice sea view room.

The Ferry terminal has gone now so no more ships to watch, just the odd fishing boat.

By the way, why do people get karma and how do they give it, I only just found some on my page and wondered about it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2673.jpg (505.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2675.JPG (435.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2680.jpg (486.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2666.jpg (416.4 KB, 8 views)
Old 13-08-2012, 10:02   #1759
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
My wife has stayed at the North Euston a few times before she got too ill. I always managed to book her a nice sea view room.

The Ferry terminal has gone now so no more ships to watch, just the odd fishing boat.

By the way, why do people get karma and how do they give it, I only just found some on my page and wondered about it.
I didn't know the ferries no longer sailed from Fleetwood, its that long since I visited.

the karma is given if you think a poster has done something that you think warrants it or they give it you for the same reason.

to give karma, look on the post that you think should have some, start with the box with the name in it and go to the bottom of that box, there are three icons, one tells you that they are online (it goes green if they are) the middle one has to be clicked to award karma, and the last icon its to report a post.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 11:05   #1760
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post

You get Karma if another Accyweb member sends you some as a sign of appreciation for something youve posted -could be a photo or something funny you've said or just for making a good point -in that case it will be green. If someone sends you red karma it's the opposite.

Two pics attached -N.Euston Hotel Fleetwood and their excellent fish and chips. Best i've ever had...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg North Euston Hotel Fleetwood.JPG (38.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Fish and chips.jpg (32.5 KB, 11 views)

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 13-08-2012, 16:40   #1761
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
our friends son who was night-time fishing on the Po just outside Cremona.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Two pics attached -N.Euston Hotel Fleetwood and their excellent fish and chips. Best i've ever had...
Firstly night time fishing usually means 1 of 2 things (a) Your doing it on the fly or (b) You're out to get rascally drunk with your mates. Actually it can be a combo of both.

Not many chips there Mo, I'd of asked 'em for a few more me.
Old 13-08-2012, 17:24   #1762
Beacon of light

Some more pics from our little break......concentrating on the Hotel.
1) our room.
2) a place to catch the sun - the patio.
3) Come on you ornithologists -enlighten me......I haven't the foggiest idea what this bird is.
4) the Sunny quiet room - cards, books and jigsaws were available to while away the time.
5) The staircase.
6) One of the lounges.
7) a pair of wood pigeons - billing and cooing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF5293 (1024x768).jpg (101.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF5299 (1024x621).jpg (109.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF5419 (640x480).jpg (131.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF5449 (1024x846).jpg (127.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF5454 (1024x768).jpg (86.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF5455 (1024x768).jpg (122.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg P1040119 (1024x959).jpg (134.4 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 13-08-2012 at 17:28.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 17:28   #1763
Senior Member+

What were the pidgeons talking about?
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 17:30   #1764
Beacon of light

They were telling each other where the best place was to get bread...with butter on....and where to get crispy chips(seafarers restaurant - from the punters who sit outside and eat al fresco).
Old 13-08-2012, 17:39   #1765
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Some more pics from our little break......concentrating on the Hotel.
1) our room.
2) a place to catch the sun - the patio.
3) Come on you ornithologists -enlighten me......I haven't the foggiest idea what this bird is.
4) the Sunny quiet room - cards, books and jigsaws were available to while away the time.
5) The staircase.
6) One of the lounges.
7) a pair of wood pigeons - billing and cooing.
No 3... goldfinch

British Garden Birds

probably the most common bird in my garden but not managed to snap one yet!

No 6 gosh I think the soft furnishings in that room would give me a headache - but I do like your little patio!

No 7 Those two pigeons really do look as though they were conversing!
Old 13-08-2012, 18:33   #1766
Beacon of light

That lounge was always full....I only managed to snap it empty, once the coach had left and most of the other guests were out - we were waiting to be picked up.
Old 13-08-2012, 18:35   #1767
Beacon of light

The goldfinch (thanks Sue) was a very good warbler...you could hear it long before you could see it...in fact there were a pair of them...singing duets.
Old 13-08-2012, 18:40   #1768
Resting In Peace

Quote:
That lounge was always full....I only managed to snap it empty, once the coach had left and most of the other guests were out - we were waiting to be picked up.
Ah... so the chair covers were normally hidden by people... thank goodness for that!
Old 13-08-2012, 18:45   #1769
Senior Member+

Here is some coppice pics from a couple of days ago or so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7775267652_6e13df57e7_b.jpg (416.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 7775254504_f55e482374_b.jpg (275.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg coppice.jpg (442.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg cpiice2.jpg (423.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 13-08-2012, 18:48   #1770
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Ah... so the chair covers were normally hidden by people... thank goodness for that!
It wasn't a pattern that I would choose, but they were mostly covered by bottoms.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..