Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree26117Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 20:04   #1741
Resting In Peace

Re: Today in pictures

The rose garden is pretty - are they hoping to grow climbers up those arches? At Cranborne House in Wiltshire where they sell a lot of old roses, they had a bed with ropes slung between pillars about 10ft high, with roses trained along them. It was lovely and something I always wanted to emulate but never had the space.

Must be sad for you seeing your old workplace neglected - I wonder if you ever worked in Milnshaw Park, that is very depressing these days.
Old 12-08-2012, 20:16   #1742
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
From your photos I was thinking Lytham wasn't too bad a place after all, having said that I've never been, passed through, but never stopped.
Well, I suppose it depends on what you want.......excitement is not on my agenda...it tends to be the wrong sort of excitement when I get it anyway...if you see what I mean.
Lytham and Lytham St Annes are both pretty places...very clean and very well kept........and walking along the promenade after our evening meal I felt very safe.
The hotel was lovely too......a swimming pool, jacuzzi and a gym...lovely gardens and very comfortable lounges. It is a fine place to kick back and relax ( even pushing Ma in the wheelchair didn't seem much of a chore - it is flat).
I'm looking forward to going again.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 20:29   #1743
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
The rose garden is pretty - are they hoping to grow climbers up those arches? At Cranborne House in Wiltshire where they sell a lot of old roses, they had a bed with ropes slung between pillars about 10ft high, with roses trained along them. It was lovely and something I always wanted to emulate but never had the space.

Must be sad for you seeing your old workplace neglected - I wonder if you ever worked in Milnshaw Park, that is very depressing these days.
Part of my apprenticeship was served at Milnshaw Park, in the days when all the grass was cut every week the paths were swept every Friday. There was also a long Dahlia bed that took a lot of time staking and tying the plants in. Three greenhouses full of plants, cold frames, and a smelly coke boiler that had to be "stoked" and the clinker raked out. That was the job of the apprentice. All gone now.

The rose garden is still in its early stages, it depends on the maintenance as to whether it thrives or gets overgrown, as the site is now unmanned, I'm not sure who will do it ?
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 20:32   #1744
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Part of my apprenticeship was served at Milnshaw Park, in the days when all the grass was cut every week the paths were swept every Friday. There was also a long Dahlia bed that took a lot of time staking and tying the plants in. Three greenhouses full of plants, cold frames, and a smelly coke boiler that had to be "stoked" and the clinker raked out. That was the job of the apprentice. All gone now.

The rose garden is still in its early stages, it depends on the maintenance as to whether it thrives or gets overgrown, as the site is now unmanned, I'm not sure who will do it ?
What a shame to spend all that money and then have no one to look after it.

I remember the greenhouses at Milnshaw, used to go the park a lot when I was a tot 60 years ago, lived very close.
Old 12-08-2012, 20:33   #1745
Senior Member+

Quote:

Did you work for Accrington Corporation or Hyndburn. I had a tool box stolen from Milnshaw Park Greenhouses when I worked for Accy Corporation
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 20:51   #1746
Senior Member+

Quote:
Are you sure that's a collared dove? Looks more like a scabby old pigeon to me - collared doves are much paler... and prettier

Eurasian Collared Dove - BirdForum Opus
That's a woodpigeon Susie...
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 20:54   #1747
Beacon of light

so the general consensus is that it is a woodpigeon....I'm glad we got that one sorted out
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 20:56   #1748
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
That's a woodpigeon Susie...
Did you miss my post 1728 Kes? Glad we're both singing from the same hymn sheet...
Old 12-08-2012, 20:58   #1749
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
so the general consensus is that it is a woodpigeon....I'm glad we got that one sorted out
Sure is this is a photo I took of one at nest with a chick.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg woopigeon at nest 11 April 2010 Beddington Park.JPG (426.7 KB, 11 views)
Old 12-08-2012, 21:04   #1750
Senior Member+

Quote:
Sure is this is a photo I took of one at nest with a chick.
Nice one you don't seem to see young pidgeons
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 21:08   #1751
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Nice one you don't seem to see young pidgeons
Cheers, I was lucky that nest was in the right place, usually they are in thicker bushes that would be too dark to get a good shot. Woodpigeon can be aggressive - I've put my hand in and the adult uses it's wings to hit the hand while making a sort of growling noise - very tough birds when they want.
Old 12-08-2012, 21:39   #1752
Senior Member+

Quote:
Cheers, I was lucky that nest was in the right place, usually they are in thicker bushes that would be too dark to get a good shot. Woodpigeon can be aggressive - I've put my hand in and the adult uses it's wings to hit the hand while making a sort of growling noise - very tough birds when they want.
Note: I didn't put my hand in the nest I took photo of - there is one in the garden where I live and it wouldn't budge off the nest and was hitting my hand with it's wings and pressing down on the nest etc...it raised a couple back in 2007 but tried again in years after that and every time something went wrong - including a cat getting one of the pair and killing it! So if you got a cat be aware they are killing birds that work hard to make a nest and lay eggs.

Last edited by kestrelx; 12-08-2012 at 21:41.
Old 12-08-2012, 22:07   #1753
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Did you work for Accrington Corporation or Hyndburn. I had a tool box stolen from Milnshaw Park Greenhouses when I worked for Accy Corporation
I worked for accy, can you describe the toolbox, and what year was it?
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 05:04   #1754
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
how many of those have you shot in your time Dave?
There's been a few, but only enough as we needed for the pot & a couple for the farmer whose land it was. Nowadays it's with cameras the shooting is done.
Old 13-08-2012, 08:04   #1755
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I have been away for the week....I haven't any pics for today, but I hope to be allowed some licence to post some pictures from my jaunt away with Ma.......after all we did go to exotic climes.......it begins with 'L'...no it wasn't Las Vegas...it was Lytham St Anne's.
For some reason I thought you were away in Wales! Lytham Saint Anne's was an annual treat when we were kids -mum used to take us to Lowther Gardens for a picnic and to Fairhaven lake. She liked the shops there herself!
Nice pics -you can't beat a typical day out at the seaside in England on a sunny day!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..