Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-02-2008, 20:35   #1

BMI calculator

If you want to find out your BMI i discovered this on the bbc website, it does all the sums for you just input your height and weight and it will tell you your BMI. I was surprised mine was 21.96 which allegedly makes me healthy. http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/healthy_...al_index.shtml
Old 17-02-2008, 20:40   #2
God Member

Re: BMI calculator

problem is BMI has been shown to be not that good a measure.

Take rugby players, most are obese by BMI scales

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2008, 20:54   #3

Yeah it mentions that on the site, that if your an athlete or of muscular build then its not accurate. Just thought it might be of interest to those considering going on a diet/exercise program.
Old 17-02-2008, 21:00   #4
God Member

My bathroom scales supposedly measure bmi, and they agree in principle with the link you gave, but as said, they don't take into account muscle or big bones, according to experts, I should be 10 and a half stone for my hieght, been there twice, when I was about 16, and when I was doing 10 hours excercise a day, I will stay as I am at about 13 stone and feel healthy.
Old 17-02-2008, 21:01   #5
God Member

i knew i was obese anyway so i dont need to look
Old 17-02-2008, 21:02   #6
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
Just thought it might be of interest to those considering going on a diet/exercise program.
No interest whatsoever, unless it can change me from a 7 stone weakling into an obese weakling, I've no interest in exercise, (allow me to faint at the thought), but I would love to pay for food and have it make a difference to my bulk, (I think that means I'm on a diet, just opposite to the one your talking about).
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2008, 21:06   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
No interest whatsoever, unless it can change me from a 7 stone weakling into an obese weakling, I've no interest in exercise, (allow me to faint at the thought), but I would love to pay for food and have it make a difference to my bulk, (I think that means I'm on a diet, just opposite to the one your talking about).
It's too much microwaving that makes your food less nutritious - try learning to cook

(stands well back-------awaiting tirade------OK------I'm ready)
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2008, 21:08   #8

Im starting my diet/exercise program soon, my aim is to actually put weight on and gain muscle strength. And also to lose some of the beer gut thats started to appear.
Old 18-02-2008, 01:14   #9
God Member

Quote:
If you want to find out your BMI i discovered this on the bbc website, it does all the sums for you just input your height and weight and it will tell you your BMI. I was surprised mine was 21.96 which allegedly makes me healthy. BBC - Health - Healthy living - Body Mass Index calculator (imperial)
I love how it says 40+ = very obese 'lose weight now'

like you can just unzip the extra weight from your body. lol
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2008, 06:18   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
If you stopped all that exercise (walking to and staggering home again from the last orders everyday) you might put weight on
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2008, 09:25   #11
Resting in Peace

I says I've got an healthy BMI, does't say anything about being knackered
Old 18-02-2008, 09:31   #12
Resident Waffler

My bathroom scales measure water retention too which is useful for me because half the time that's what is behind my weight fluctuation. It stops me getting too excited when I think I've managed to lose a bit more when it reveals that it was onky water which will quickly be regained.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2008, 09:48   #13
God Member

I am overweight by about 9lbs - that's fine with me - need a reserve for when illness strikes and I cant eat for a week (been glad I had it a few times in the last few years)
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2008, 10:05   #14
Resident Waffler

I'm still working on losing and although it's a slow process I'm getting a little bit nearer all the time. I may use that BMI thing to work out how I'm doing every so often. I even set uo a diet blog but it's only got a couple of entries up to now.

I don't think there are any hard and fast rules about 'ideal weight' as I've seen people of same height and same build/appearance yet one weighs considerably more than the other. I think you just have to find what's best for you. So far I can say I certaianly know what isn't best for me!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2008, 15:47   #15
Junior Member+

Quote:
Im starting my diet/exercise program soon, my aim is to actually put weight on and gain muscle strength. And also to lose some of the beer gut thats started to appear.
So you are going to lose and gain weight?!
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..