Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2011, 19:04   #16

Re: Electritian needed ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Varrechia View Post
Mmmmm, that don't look like fuse wire to me. Looks like spmeones put a piece of copper wire in instead, no wonder it didn't blow and got red hot. You were very lucky.
Nope fuse wire in fuse 30 amp , the copper wires are what was the cable they were shorting out on each other and mealted there wire coating ,
!! and yep was very lucky !!
i put lotto on ,but never won !!
ian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-02-2011, 20:19   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian1 View Post
Nope fuse wire in fuse 30 amp , the copper wires are what was the cable they were shorting out on each other and mealted there wire coating ,
!! and yep was very lucky !!
i put lotto on ,but never won !!
Not very clear but the end of the cartridge fuse looks as though it has been "repaired" so it could be of higher rating than printed on the body?
Old 03-02-2011, 20:27   #18

The top bit of the fuse came off when I pulled it out , I lived here for 9 years and I ain't put any higher amp wire in it , so I been luckY for 9 years then I guess ,
Thanx for your input
Ian
Old 03-02-2011, 22:37   #19
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Not very clear but the end of the cartridge fuse looks as though it has been "repaired" so it could be of higher rating than printed on the body?
Its not a cartridge fuse is a rewirable one so depends what fuse wire you wire it with. Horrible things by modern standards but many people still have them. I replaced mine when we moving in about 8 years ago.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:52   #20
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Its not a cartridge fuse is a rewirable one so depends what fuse wire you wire it with. Horrible things by modern standards but many people still have them. I replaced mine when we moving in about 8 years ago.
Take your word for it, would probably have been clearer if the fuse holder was viewed from the other side - the last wired fuses I saw in UK was RAF MQs in 1975 and they changed those for plug in MCBs.
Is there a way to enlarge the thumbnail pictures?
Old 04-02-2011, 08:54   #21
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Is there a way to enlarge the thumbnail pictures?

Just left click it
Old 04-02-2011, 16:42   #22
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Just left click it
Thanks Neil, glad I am still not too old to learn something new every day
Old 05-02-2011, 16:30   #23

What you have is an old Wylex rewireable fusebox, you need a more up to date RCD consumer unit installing, as the problem you mentioned would have caused a modern consumer unit to trip, as for reliable sparks you need to use a NICEIC spark, the spark will give you a certificate for installing a consumer unit, having one installed is a lot safer than yer house burning down you could try Empress Electrical, Barry Mercer, Able Electrical, C & W, P J Wright, Steve Elley. you can find their numbers either in phone book or on NICEIC site.
wallop79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 16:59   #24
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallop79 View Post
What you have is an old Wylex rewireable fusebox, you need a more up to date RCD consumer unit installing, as the problem you mentioned would have caused a modern consumer unit to trip, as for reliable sparks you need to use a NICEIC spark, the spark will give you a certificate for installing a consumer unit, having one installed is a lot safer than yer house burning down you could try Empress Electrical, Barry Mercer, Able Electrical, C & W, P J Wright, Steve Elley. you can find their numbers either in phone book or on NICEIC site.
I would hope that the electrician he used, a person that works for a private landlord, has all the correct certification and also checked out the rest of the circuit before issuing a certificate stating that all is well after such a very bad mishap.

Though I doubt it.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 18:58   #25

he did say it could do with updateing , and he did put some fancy electric thingy on it to see if it was safe and got the all clear , , just need to save up a few hundred quid to get the new consumer unit , but like you say better than burning your house down !
ian ,
Old 05-02-2011, 19:11   #26
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian1 View Post
he did say it could do with updateing , and he did put some fancy electric thingy on it to see if it was safe and got the all clear , , just need to save up a few hundred quid to get the new consumer unit , but like you say better than burning your house down !
ian ,
So no certificate?

Well 'P' reg is working then...

or is it?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:55   #27
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallop79 View Post
What you have is an old Wylex rewireable fusebox, you need a more up to date RCD consumer unit installing, as the problem you mentioned would have caused a modern consumer unit to trip......
It might not have caused a modern consumer unit to trip. You could easily have a bad connection causing heat and the current in the circuit be lower than the rating of the MCB so it would not trip. Please dont assume MCB's will protect you better than fuses for all faults.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:58   #28
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
So no certificate?

Well 'P' reg is working then...

or is it?

Part P is a waste of time.

I don't think you would need to be 'qualified' in part P terms anyway to change the fuse holder and trim back the burnt cable.

You can still do some things.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..