Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-07-2008, 19:21   #181
God Member

Re: growing your own veggies

lol thanx, i have loads of radishes still growing, they where the biggest so far from what i planted, gonna let the others grow for a few more weeks

we have just eaten the radishes and the spring onions, the radish brought tears to my eyes lol but they where nice, just boiling some of the smaller spuds now
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-07-2008, 13:56   #182
Senior Member+

Well so far I've had lettuce, spinach and one cucumber from my efforts, so nothing much yet. However, tomorrow is the big day, when I pick the first of my broad beans. Going to make some ravioli with them..
Old 25-07-2008, 15:22   #183
God Member

ooo ive never heard of broad bean ravioli, sounds nice though, i wish i'd planted a lot more than i did, been eating some of the radishes today, they arent right big though, i've just planted some more, they grow all year round aparently, so i'll be getting some more next time i go to wilkies, i love them

the spuds where delicious, all my neighbours thought so too, i'll definately be doing those again next year, might have to plant more next time though

i'll also be planting peas, got a packet this year but it was to late to plant them silly me lol
Old 25-07-2008, 16:34   #184
God Member

Yes , the broadbean ravioli does sound good, at the moment i`m landscaping my garden so i`ve no growing space but i have a large box stuffed full of herbs,(mint,thyme,fennel,flat leaf parsley and corriander) that are growing like mad, my name is down for an allotment and i have been told one will be available in a few months so come this time next year i`m hoping to have a bumper crop of veggies, i`ll be pm-ing you Flashers for some tips by the sound of it....
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 16:38   #185
Senior Member+

hmmm..... i fancy some radish now... i used to have a french friend and her dad used to dip radish in garlic salt... hmmm........

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 16:49   #186
God Member

lol pipples, i got all my tips from David, he taught me all i know
Old 26-07-2008, 10:22   #187
Senior Member+

The ravioli is actually a Jamie Oliver recipe, but here it is:

255g podded broad beans plus extra for garnish
1 small handful of mint picked and chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
150g ricotta cheese
1 handful of grated parmesan cheese or to taste
juice of 1 lemon
salt and fleshly ground black pepper
extra chopped mint
olive oil and parmesan cheese to serve

Method
If the broad beans are very small and soft you can use them raw.
If they are medium to large blanch them until just tender in unsalted boiling water (remove the skins after blanching if they are slightly tough).
Smash or finely chop half the beans and leave the other half whole.
Put all the beans into a bowl with the chopped mint (added to taste) olive oil and ricotta.
Lightly fork this through adding the parmesan lemon juice and seasoning to taste.
Stuff the ravioli with the filling and cook them in gently boiling salted water for around 3 to 4 minutes until tender.
Drain carefully.
Serve drizzled with a little extra olive oil and scattered with the extra broad beans some chopped mint and some freshly grated or shaved parmesan.

Obviously you have to make/buy sheets of pasta to stuff with the filling. I make my own, but you could buy the fresh lasagne sheets and do the same thing.

I don't think I'll have time to do it today as I'd forgotten that I'm going to the football, but it's definitely on the menu for tomorrow.
Old 26-07-2008, 10:42   #188
God Member

I have a pasta machine too.
I have made ravioli using minced cooked chicken and served it in chicken broth.
That idea to use mashed broad beans is 'inspired' - I may well try that
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KCMACH1_MAIN.JPG (250.5 KB, 1 views)

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2008, 10:44   #189
Senior Member+

ooh...i like spinach ravioli,,,, might have that for my tea

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2008, 11:02   #190
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I have a pasta machine too.
I have made ravioli using minced cooked chicken and served it in chicken broth.
That idea to use mashed broad beans is 'inspired' - I may well try that
Making your own pasta is pretty easy and it makes a nice change from the normal stuff. The broad bean recipe does sound good doesn't it? It should be even nicer when made from these!!

Old 26-07-2008, 14:45   #191
God Member

Are you vegetarian TM or do you just fancy the recipe?
Old 26-07-2008, 15:09   #192
God Member

I`m veggie and it sounds great to me, which Jamie Oliver book is it in TM.......we have a few stashed somewhere........
Old 26-07-2008, 17:45   #193
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Are you vegetarian TM or do you just fancy the recipe?
I was vegetarian when I was married, mainly because it was easier all round. Now I do eat meat, but still enjoy making vegetarian food. I was looking for something that would showcase my beans and thought that this fit the bill.

pipinfort - the recipe is from the book 'Cook With Jamie'.
Old 26-07-2008, 20:42   #194
God Member

Gracias TM.
Old 29-07-2008, 18:47   #195
Senior Member+

The beans were lovely and the recipe worked out really well.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..