Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-07-2008, 18:51   #196
Senior Member+

Re: growing your own veggies

is that MASSIVE ravioli or a tiny plate? lol

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-07-2008, 18:59   #197
God Member

Ravioli Grande..!!!!!!! it looks bloody good
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2008, 20:13   #198
Senior Member+

The Italians make big ravioli and I was following suit. You can do that when they don't have to fit in a can.
Old 11-08-2008, 14:42   #199
Senior Member+

It was time for my garlic to come up today and free up some space. It's already strung up and hanging in my shed.

Old 11-08-2008, 14:44   #200
God Member

bloody hell, you did really well with those TM, i was going to do garlic this year but when i decided to buy some to plant someone told me it was too late in the year to do them going to do them next year though
Old 11-08-2008, 14:53   #201
God Member

That IS a bumper harvest.........
Old 11-08-2008, 15:24   #202
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
bloody hell, you did really well with those TM, i was going to do garlic this year but when i decided to buy some to plant someone told me it was too late in the year to do them going to do them next year though
There's 21 bulbs there and they were originally planted last November. They do take time to grow, which means they take up valuable space that could be used for other things.

I've planted purple sprouting broccoli in the space now, which won't be ready until March, but it'll taste lovely.
Old 11-08-2008, 17:02   #203
God Member

oooo so does that mean i can still plant some then TM? i plant in tubs anyway so they wouldnt be in the way will all that garlic keep too? or will it go off before you eat it all?
Old 11-08-2008, 17:10   #204
God Member

Garlic used before it is dried is described as 'wet garlic' - milder flavour - plenty of recipes on the web.
When shop bought it has been hung to dry out (as TM has done)
I would be tempted to use some 'wet' because it is not easily available in that form.
Dried garlic will keep for months on end.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 17:11   #205
God Member

ahhhhh thanx for that Margaret
Old 11-08-2008, 17:42   #206
Senior Member+

Quote:
oooo so does that mean i can still plant some then TM? i plant in tubs anyway so they wouldnt be in the way will all that garlic keep too? or will it go off before you eat it all?
I'm no expert, but I'd hang on planting any yet and perhaps plant in the autumn for next year. I know that you can plant the cloves from shop bought garlic, but they aren't grown in our climate and tend to not do as well (they can pick up diseases, etc).

I bought 2 giant bulbs of Solent Wight garlic for around £2 from a garden centre and that's what I've grown. It over-winters well and then has grown on in the Spring and Summer.

As Margaret says, garlic when hung to dry can be kept for months, but I eat quite a lot of it anyway, so it probably won't last until the new year.

Margaret - I'll be giving a couple of wet garlic recipes a go. As you say, it tends to be milder than dried, so it'll be interesting to see how they turn out.
Old 11-08-2008, 18:08   #207
God Member

oo cheers for that, i'll maybe plant some in September/October then
Old 01-09-2008, 15:55   #208
God Member

just dug up the second lot of my radish

these are HUUUUUUUUUGE, two of them are nearly 12 cm's long lol

and they taste lovely
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SP_A0583.jpg (23.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg SP_A0584.jpg (30.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg SP_A0585.jpg (28.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg SP_A0586.jpg (25.3 KB, 2 views)
Old 01-09-2008, 16:05   #209
God Member

Quote:
just dug up the second lot of my radish

these are HUUUUUUUUUGE, two of them are nearly 12 cm's long lol

and they taste lovely

well done , look at those bad boys.....!!! are you gonna try and grow some garlic...?
Old 01-09-2008, 16:14   #210
God Member

its the wrong time of year for growing garlic aint it?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..