Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2008, 11:33   #1
I am Banned

mobile phone and rights question

Hi just wondering if anyone can help with advice before I go back to the shop.
I bought my mum a mobile ( less than a week ago ) and she said there is a shadow on the screen which was there when she opened the box.
She thought it was just from the protective plastic casting a shadow but when she has been texting ( white screen) she said it is more obvious an looks like a finger print shape - it is geting worse-
I got it from phones4 u in Accy. I seem to remember some threads about this shop but cant remember what they were about.
Should she be given an immediate refund/exchange. If they offer to repair - (for which i know they will charge) or can she refuse and insist upoon exchange /refund? when the lady in the shop was selling it to me she put the sim in to set it up ( didnt know they usually did that) and she had some amount of trouble getting the back off and wasnt very light handed - so the damage could have been done then .
Any help/ advice/ helpful sights would be appreciated
thanks
lisa
keetah992000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-11-2008, 13:18   #2
Senior Member+

Re: mobile phone and rights question

Due to the phones age then yes she should be given a straight replacement. When I had a fault with a phone (from O2) they had to replace as it was only a couple of weeks old. I would take it down, you hsouldnt have a problem getting a replacement
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 18:11   #3
Senior Member+

I know all new phones have to be registered in the shop where i work due to people buying them and sending them abroad if the phone gets registered abroad then basically we dont get our money!
Old 02-11-2008, 18:38   #4
Senior Member+

She is entitled to a full refund or an exchange, the choice is hers.
Old 02-11-2008, 18:42   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
She is entitled to a full refund or an exchange, the choice is hers.
Ditto......... get back down there.
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 19:04   #6
I am Banned

aw thanks - i couldnt find anything specific on the net xx
Old 02-11-2008, 19:10   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by keetah992000 View Post
Hi just wondering if anyone can help with advice before I go back to the shop.
I bought my mum a mobile ( less than a week ago ) and she said there is a shadow on the screen which was there when she opened the box.
She thought it was just from the protective plastic casting a shadow but when she has been texting ( white screen) she said it is more obvious an looks like a finger print shape - it is geting worse-
I got it from phones4 u in Accy. I seem to remember some threads about this shop but cant remember what they were about.
Should she be given an immediate refund/exchange. If they offer to repair - (for which i know they will charge) or can she refuse and insist upoon exchange /refund? when the lady in the shop was selling it to me she put the sim in to set it up ( didnt know they usually did that) and she had some amount of trouble getting the back off and wasnt very light handed - so the damage could have been done then .
Any help/ advice/ helpful sights would be appreciated
thanks
lisa
Take it back and explain your rights as a consumer if you have problem they will soon satisfy you dont worry.
bondi38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 19:44   #8
Full Member+

OK you are within the 28 days period of return so just get your money back and start again.

Not the same store but my wife bought a phone from the C.P.W. and as she had another phone, it was a while before she started to use it in anger. Once she started to use it, the battery life was short (<36 hrs) she had to open it to check if there were messages/missed calls and operating in darkness was impossible as the buttons didn't light up. Sunlight, the screen could not be seen. The phone worked but as with many modern items, it was designed by a prat!

She has had it more than the magic 28 days so they say it cannot be exchanged -

GET YOUR REFUND NOW!!

As for hers - I am taking them to court for selling something that is not fit for purpose , she travels late at night and cannot summon assistance in an emergency (that is why she has a mobile phone!) - I will let you know how I get on.

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 19:57   #9
God Member

Don't go 'Half Cocked'....Ring the local trading standards and find out what your position is.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 20:43   #10
I am Banned

yeah my mum is taking it back tommorow - shes pretty well up on rights and thought she should just be able to get straight exchange or money back. Just wanted something I could get in print for her to take and use if she had to - anyway she said she will go in and be polite and if no luck will ring trading standards as they then ring the shop if they are not fullfilling a persons stautory rights. thanks for all your help you are all stars
morcambe ex pat- good luck
Old 03-11-2008, 19:19   #11

How did your mum get on? Any joy?

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 20:05   #12
I am Banned

well she took it in and told them the fault was there from purchase. They asked her if she had had it in her handbag - she said yes but has been in a case.
He said well it looks like a pressure mark and offered to send it off for repair - but might be charged for it - again my mum said that it was there from purchase but they just basically try to say it is her fault.
There must be some way of having it replaced surely - why should you have to - and how do you - prove that a phone was faulty before you used it - you have to use it to find out that its faulty.
I am going to a different branch tommorow for second opinion and my mum is ringing trading standards
I rang phones4u helpline and he said more or less the same and asked if i saw the phone before i bought it - I said yes but you can only see the mark when texting and I am sure it isnt normal to sit in the shop texting on a phone you havent yet bought !!
I'll keep you updated
Old 03-11-2008, 20:27   #13
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

How did she pay for it? - Please say credit card.
Old 03-11-2008, 21:27   #14
I am Banned

I paid for it Neil - on my card - not credit card its a debit card but I didnt pay cash.
Old 03-11-2008, 21:47   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keetah992000 View Post
I paid for it Neil - on my card - not credit card its a debit card but I didnt pay cash.
You'd have been able to get your money back easily from the credit card company if you'd used a credit card..........that's one good thing about them.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..