Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-11-2005, 20:44   #1
I am Banned

tips about cats

have you got aby tips about cats?
If so share them here.

Alec
Alec_Ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-11-2005, 20:46   #2
God Member

Re: tips about cats

I have one tip about cats ....... best keep em away from my Staff Ben he's none to keen .. in fact he doesn't like other dogs either .... or birds ... or rabbits ...... or .......
Old 25-11-2005, 21:01   #3
I am Banned

Nice to meet you tinkerbell.

Yep that is a good tip lol.

Alec
Alec_Ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2005, 21:13   #4
Resting in Peace

Unfortunately, just lost my cat .. disappeared whilst I was away on holiday in Spain. Never fed him anything except biscuits and water (veterinary advice) and if he ever did anything in the house .. never ponged, and teeth like elephants tusks as I found out on many occasions.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2005, 21:14   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
Unfortunately, just lost my cat .. disappeared whilst I was away on holiday in Spain.
oh s***!!!!!!!!! WASN'T BEN!!!
Old 25-11-2005, 21:43   #6
Resting in Peace

Well did sorta suspect the Jack Russell next door, or maybe the madheads who drives like crazy down our cul-de-sac .. they killed two already.
Take Tinkers advice though .. last month my friend had to have her Jack Russell put down because he killed the neighbour's cat .. seems once they get the taste, well .. no stopping them. Funny about dogs and cats though. Once had an alsation/husky cross, got a British Blue cat and they got on famously, was scared when she got out and produced 2 kittens... kept the dog away for a while, but eventually the dog protected them like a mother.. but didn't stop her chasing all the other cats that came within a mile of our house.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2005, 05:17   #7
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

My bull terrier adores cats which is surprising as she can't stand other dogs.

Here's my tip........If you ever need to give your cat a tablet, wear a pair of heavy duty gardening gloves because it will try to scratch your hands off..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2005, 08:06   #8
mez
God Member

my cat lives outside. she just won't come in,but is fed & watered outside,no amount of trying will bring her in, she is quite content to be that way, my dog sam will not have his meal until kitty has been fed, & if he hears her meowing goes balistic till he's seen her.........sweet really.
Old 26-11-2005, 09:55   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
I have one tip about cats ....... best keep em away from my Staff Ben he's none to keen .. in fact he doesn't like other dogs either .... or birds ... or rabbits ...... or .......
Sounds just like my dog Harvey.
janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2005, 15:23   #10
Beacon of light

My dear old Jack Russell loved cats....in fact he thought he WAS one.....alas he died two months ago. I have two cats...both rescued, a black and white moggy and a Maine Coon cat.....my tip is ......Never give cats milk to drink, it doesn't agree with their digestive systems.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2005, 15:32   #11
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I can agree with that one Margaret... One of my old cats used to get spurious diarrhoea from milk. I wouldn't mind but I never used to give it to him, he would help himself.........
I once left a bowl of cornflakes with milk on my coffee table while I went to the loo, when I came back the little tinker had licked all of the milk from the cornflakes... within a few hours he was leaving smelly presents all over the house..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2005, 16:52   #12
Beacon of light

Yes....Lettie I once had a similar situation with one of the Persian cats I had.....he licked up some milk that was spilt on the kitchen floor.... this was in the time it took for me to get a cloth...! I can tell you diarrhoea and Persians DO NOT MIX......I had to wash his bottom and his back legs.......he hated water too......I had fingers like spaghetti when I had finished.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2005, 08:52   #13

I have a British Shorthair Cat and Two Cocker Spaniels!

The Cat is beyond any doubt the Boss!
Bad-Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2005, 13:58   #14
Senior Member+

I have a very old cat called Spike he is 20 years old we rescued him about 8 years ago but my partner has known spike all his life.

He is a lovely fella but at the minute hes not too well he has got vestibulitis (a middle ear infection) very rare in cats normaly found in dogs as it cost over £40 for spike to have a thermometer stuck up his bottom and a needle in his neck, poor thing never been to the vets in his life and gets double wammy the first time he was then on antibiotics i find to give him these if you hold him between your legs so he cant escape backwards and just gently open his mouth and get the tablet as far back as you can he will soon eat it.

Because Spike is an old man like most old men he dont clean himself as much as he used to but i have to say giving him a bath is quite an easy task hes not happy about it and he moans all the way through but hes ok about it he just sits there looking pathetic!!

best thing to do with cats is to just leave them to do what keeps them happy the vet said Spike was is extremelly good condition considering his age but he has heart disease so he wont last very long now i will be soo upset when he goes ive had him longer than ive had my children.

Most cats cant drink milk as most cats are lactose intollerent!!
MUMMIBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2005, 14:36   #15
Resting in Peace

If a cat finds a warm area (central heating pipes etc) and that they run near top of stairs and that step warm at night or early morning make sure you put lights on to see where cat is otherwise you do what I did in the "A&E" thread posted by Lettie.

or to be more plan MAKE SURE CAT GOES DOWNSTAIRS IN FRONT OF YOU lol
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..