Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 00:48   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Bold Street Working Man's Club in the 70's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavenderpixie View Post
My partner seems to think that the band was called New England, he used to know it but can't remember the guitarist's name, but he does recall seeing him feeling for the edge of the stage with his foot (it was a slightly raised stage, apparently) and then laying on the dance floor to do things to his guitar, that he ought to have been doing to a 'lady', as he played it.
There is nothing on You Tube for them under that name. The stage was a platform about 8" - 12" off the ground. He was white and had frizzy hair he played guitar over his back and with his teeth even though he was blind. Amazed me at the time.

Quote:
I've also been told that Jack was the booking agent, Jean his wife and occasionally his kids would be there on a Sunday, too, Glen was his son's name but he can't recall his daughter's name. Jack died rather suddenly at a pretty young age, sadly. Jack had apparently booked the Sex Pistols to play but canceled after all the negative publicity. All the local bands played - Cybermen, Schoolgirl Bitch, Buffalo etc etc.
Jack was the agent and always ****ed. Jean used to work in the Job Centre. I knew Glen they used to go out birdwatching/rambling at weekends, I think Jack may have been a shooter/hunter as they had a cocker spaniel. I think he died about 1979 or something collapsed at home on his own.

The Lurkers played:

Quote:
My partner also remembers seeing the Scorpions and Jim Milne's Tractor as well as Arbre and Strife, amongst many others. He occasionally helped the DJ (Disco Mantis - Paul or Clint) to collect their gear but wasn't quite old enough to have been to see Gravy Train or Stackwaddy but knows of most of those bands as his mother was Pauline Marshall whose passing was recently mentioned on these boards - his mum used to go in the Pickwick and the Astronaut.

If anyone's interested, I'll post more of his recollections as they are stirred.
I saw all that you mention apart from Jim Milne's Tractor . Also recall they had heavy rock disco without bands some nights for sure, or did I forget about the bands? . Anything else you partner remembers please post!

Last edited by kestrelx; 11-08-2012 at 00:51.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-08-2012, 01:47   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reamer View Post
Enjoyed some great nights at Bold street during late 60s early 70s. One of the more accomplished bands that played there was Warm Dust. One Paul Carrack was the keyboard player and went on to form Ace. Wrote and sang on their single 'How Long' about mid 70s. Went on to back Frankie Miller and play with Roxy Music and tons of other people like Nick Lowe and John Hiatt as well as a solo career in late 80s early 90s. Used to have an album by Warm Dust in the days of vinyl, twas a 'concept' album 'Peace For Our Time' it was called but can't remember a single song from it now
Ace, How Long, one of my top 5 songs of ALL time. Was he local???
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:03   #18
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
Ace, How Long, one of my top 5 songs of ALL time. Was he local???
According to Wikipedia one of the band were from Burnley - closest you'll get to Accy He was from Sheffield.

Paul Carrack (born 22 April 1951, Sheffield, Yorkshire) - keyboards, vocals (1972-1977)
Terry "Tex" Comer (born 23 February 1949, Burnley, Lancashire) - bass (1972-1977)
Phil Harris (born Philip Harris, 18 July 1948, Muswell Hill, London) - guitar, vocals (1972-1976)
Alan "Bam" King (born 18 September 1945, Kentish Town, London) - lead guitar, vocals (1972-1975)
Steve Witherington (born 26 December 1953, Enfield, Middlesex) - drums (1972-1974)
Fran Byrne (born 17 March 1948, Dublin, Ireland) - drums (1974-1977)
Steve Kirby (born 6 February 1953, Shepherds Bush, London) - lead guitars (1975-1977)
Jon Woodhead - guitars (1976-1977)
Old 11-08-2012, 08:08   #19
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavenderpixie View Post
If anyone's interested, I'll post more of his recollections as they are stirred.
Please do so, Lavenderpixie. I bought many a record from your partner's mum (definitely not Gravy Train or Stack Waddy, though! ), and I'm sure quite a few of us would find his recollections interesting.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:17   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Please do so, Lavenderpixie. I bought many a record from your partner's mum (definitely not Gravy Train or Stack Waddy, though! ), and I'm sure quite a few of us would find his recollections interesting.
Same here, look forward to it
Old 11-08-2012, 11:05   #21
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Same here, look forward to it
I know you weren't there but anyone remember New Years Eve 1976 - I remember being drunk on that night.
Old 11-08-2012, 14:05   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
I know you weren't there but anyone remember New Years Eve 1976 - I remember being drunk on that night.
I was in the Stop and Rest in Ossy that night can remember it well, especially the young lady I ended up with
Old 11-08-2012, 20:43   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
He may have been in my day? Stopped goin yon late 71 or early 72? Got wed n moved oer Church in 72 n that was the end of me Bold St days.
Well when we played Bold Street one time in 1978 Herman even turned up! So he was still going for it when you'd retired
Old 22-08-2012, 13:51   #24
Yank in King Art's Court!

Is this the same "pub" that is on Bold Street now? My daughter and I went to a pub on Bold Street a few years back. We were trying to figure out which "Pubs" my Granddad may have gone to back in the Late 70s/early 80s. He had lived on Oswald Street and the only close pub we found was the one on Bold Street.

Funny as I'd never seen a snooker table and thought "this place has the biggest pool table I have ever seen!" lol

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 14:32   #25
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancYorkYankee View Post
Is this the same "pub" that is on Bold Street now? My daughter and I went to a pub on Bold Street a few years back. We were trying to figure out which "Pubs" my Granddad may have gone to back in the Late 70s/early 80s. He had lived on Oswald Street and the only close pub we found was the one on Bold Street.

Funny as I'd never seen a snooker table and thought "this place has the biggest pool table I have ever seen!" lol
There's only Bold St club on Bold St. If your granddad lived on Oswald St, he could have also gone in the club on Stanley St, which is just around the corner from Oswald St
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 16:12   #26
Yank in King Art's Court!

What is the pub's name on Stanley Street? When we were in the Bold Street it didn't seem nearly big enough to have live bands and all.

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 16:47   #27
Senior Member+

[QUOTE=LancYorkYankee;1010158]What is the pub's name on Stanley Street? When we were in the Bold Street it didn't seem nearly big enough to have live bands and all.[/QUO

There's a big upstairs room in Bold St, that's were they had the bands. Stanley St is a private club, similar size to Bold St. There's quite a few pubs and clubs around that area. Although not as many as there used to be.
Old 22-08-2012, 17:30   #28
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

[QUOTE=Bernard Dawson;1010160]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancYorkYankee View Post
What is the pub's name on Stanley Street? When we were in the Bold Street it didn't seem nearly big enough to have live bands and all.[/QUO

There's a big upstairs room in Bold St, that's were they had the bands. Stanley St is a private club, similar size to Bold St. There's quite a few pubs and clubs around that area. Although not as many as there used to be.
Stanley St used to be Dyers @ Finishers, so it will depend on when Yankee Doodle Brian visited it perhaps?
Old 22-08-2012, 17:37   #29
Senior Member+

[QUOTE=cashman;1010166]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
Stanley St used to be Dyers @ Finishers, so it will depend on when Yankee Doodle Brian visited it perhaps?
That's true Cashy. There was also the Stanley arms on Stanley St. But that's going back even before even yours and my time.
Old 22-08-2012, 17:55   #30
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

[QUOTE=Bernard Dawson;1010167]
Quote:

That's true Cashy. There was also the Stanley arms on Stanley St. But that's going back even before even yours and my time.
Before your time maybe mate. Twas a little Duttons House just across Washington St past slingers Butchers shop.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..