Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2006, 22:57   #1
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Jazz Club

blame margaret for this lol she's got me reminising again. i remember going to the jazz club on friday nights ( in peel park) the old stanley ground had some brilliant nights in that little hut,it was situated behind the new stand(the white elephant)made me wonder who actually owned it? think accrington council owned the ground? did they also own the jazz club? was some great jazz/folk/blues acts appeared in that little place, anyone any info/memories? also who remembers what year it closed? it was going after the sad demise of stanley.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:11   #2
Super Moderator

Re: Jazz Club

Its official title was "The Accrington Stanley Sportmen's Club". Don't know who owned it after Stanley folded, but it closed sometime in the early 70's. I had some great nights up there, fantastic atmosphere, they weren't too fussy about whether you looked 18 or not and some really enjoyable music. The Riverside Jazzmen banging out all that classic trad jazz and some memorable visiting acts...I once saw top American bluesman, Champion Jack Dupree who was living in Halifax at the time. Then, of course, you could take your girl for a walk in the moonlight amidst the decaying grandeur of the Huncoat End.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:01   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

can't remember the names of the artists was out of my tree most of the time but our paths must have crossed at some stage wyn? was it as late as early 70s? gordon bennet my memory aint what it was.lol
Old 11-06-2006, 12:31   #4
Super Moderator

I reckon it closed in 71/72. I seem to recall there was some sort of police raid and lots of anomalies were uncovered - non-members who shouldn't have been there, under-age drinkers etc - and that was the end of that. I can't recall many of the performers who were on...I must have been on the same stuff as you! There is a rumour that Paul Simon played there when he was touring the folk clubs in the early 60's. Perhaps someone can confirm thsi?
Old 11-06-2006, 12:37   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris
I reckon it closed in 71/72. I seem to recall there was some sort of police raid and lots of anomalies were uncovered - non-members who shouldn't have been there, under-age drinkers etc - and that was the end of that. I can't recall many of the performers who were on...I must have been on the same stuff as you! There is a rumour that Paul Simon played there when he was touring the folk clubs in the early 60's. Perhaps someone can confirm thsi?
i heard same rumour? martin carthy definatly played at the jazz club i remember that cos i was ejected that night.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:46   #6
Super Moderator

You weren't barracking him, were you, Mr.C?
Old 11-06-2006, 14:11   #7
Senior Member+

I remember it well. My mate and I used to go there on a Friday night and, more often than not, would meet a couple of blokes to treat us to Saturday night at Burnley Mecca!

Little tinkers, weren't we?!

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 07:42   #8

You did'nt think you'd get away without me haveing my tupence worth did you lads. Well my brother Kevin confirms that he saw Paul Simon at the Jazz Club, it was just befor he wrote Homeward Bound on a railway station in Manchester, so his biography says. I saw Kenny Ball, Chris Barber, The Taveners 5, The Spinners, ( no not the ones from Detroit ) Champion Jack Dupree, ( we were pobably up there the same night Wyn ). Yes it certainly was a great place, Im pretty sure that Sonny Terry & Brownie McGee played there two, I wonder who booked all these artists, there must be someone still around, who has some information, They moved the stage around to, sometimes in the middle, then sometimes up the far end, Kevin & his wife worked behind the bar, for a while. Used to be a lot travel from Burnley to go there. Ill ask Kevin , see if he can remember who the manager or Steward was.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:36   #9
Resident Waffler

I remember seeing Kenny Ball (looking like his cheeks would burst blowing that trumpet) and the Spinners and talking to one of them (whose name I can't remember because I've got toothache) about the sticker on his guitar which said "ROMFT" and he said it stood for "Roll On My Final Twelve". They certainly didn't check if you were 18 because this must have been in the late 60s and I was nowhere near 18. I used to go with an older friend.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 11:44   #10
Super Moderator

Al, it'll be interesting to see what your brother has to say about it. Out of all the places I went to as a teenager, this holds the fondest memories for me. I learnt a lot about music (and a lot about drinking!) in that old shack.

Funny isn't it? The five of us who've contributed to this thread so far were probably there at the same time, although we didn't know each other. Little did we realise we'd be chatting to each other about it thirty-odd years down the line!
Old 12-06-2006, 11:46   #11
Resident Waffler

Surreal isn't it?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 12:23   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris
You weren't barracking him, were you, Mr.C?
definately not wyn lol it was a dispute over a pint that finished up on me. lol in defence= my pint- he knocked it- thought it was funny when i asked him to relace it. big mistake.
Old 12-06-2006, 18:47   #13
God Member

Junetta , your wrong .....it was a Saturday night when you and your mate used to go there , thats where we met the first time.
Saturday night was traditional jazz type music , Wednesday was Folk night , caught some good acts , Eddie and Finbar Fury, Roy Harper , quite few Irish folk bands played there and the rebel songs used to go down no problem ,this would be around 67/68 before the troubles started in Northern Ireland
It was also a good place to meet a "better" type of girl .
john
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 23:22   #14
Senior Member+

Sorry, John, you are right, it was the traditional jazz night so it must have been Saturday not Friday. My memories are all of a muddle! I did think we met at the Blue Dahlia though.

Friday must have been 'The Bridge' night when I used to spray a silver streak in my hair, thinking I looked the business!! Sad sick puppy!

It was 67/68, Northern Ireland started the year after and I liked the 'better girl' comment!

You were always a good mate x

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 23:34   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

[QUOTE=Wynonie harris

Funny isn't it? The five of us who've contributed to this thread so far were probably there at the same time, although we didn't know each other. Little did we realise we'd be chatting to each other about it thirty-odd years down the line![/QUOTE]
yeh its dead strange to me, i keep wondering if i know or would recognise anybody? i'm sure some of us must have knew at least by sight but thirty odd years later the sites have changed. mine has loll

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..