Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-01-2008, 21:31   #61
God Member

Re: Jazz Club

seem to remember seeing them play at the 'big' pub at the Clayton end of Dill Hall rd. .the Greyhound ?
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-01-2008, 22:05   #62
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
seem to remember seeing them play at the 'big' pub at the Clayton end of Dill Hall rd. .the Greyhound ?
yep thats the one. sam smiths house always a crap pint in those days,same as Big Crown in accy.
Old 20-01-2008, 12:50   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
I reckon it closed in 71/72. I seem to recall There is a rumour that Paul Simon played there when he was touring the folk clubs in the early 60's. Perhaps someone can confirm thsi?
Yep Paul Simon played there before he became famous. I played guitar with a local group called the Dalesiders and we were on the same bill. We used to play some Irish Rebel songs which was before the troubles.

Frank Cottier
Canada
flashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2008, 23:35   #64
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashman View Post
Yep Paul Simon played there before he became famous. I played guitar with a local group called the Dalesiders and we were on the same bill. We used to play some Irish Rebel songs which was before the troubles.

Frank Cottier
Canada
interesting ya cant remember the year frank? can ya?
Old 26-01-2008, 09:50   #65
Super Moderator

I reckon it was 1965, because that's the year that Paul wrote "Homeward Bound" on Widnes railway station, while he was touring the folk clubs of the North-West, but that's an educated guess, I'm sure Frank will be able to give us the real answer!
Old 31-01-2008, 11:45   #66
Resting in Peace

With regards to the Warriors, I remember when they first started before Jon and Tony Anderson the original line was singer Tony Alveston, Lead Guitar John Hill, Rytham Guitar, Ian Alveston, Bass Guitar Dave Foster, and Drummer Derek Thornhill. They practiced at the old Springhill Car Clud place not far from Holy Family (Mt. Carmel) they played local working mens clubs, but had to get special permision to play as thy were all still at school, I would say round about 61 or 62
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 12:20   #67
Senior Member+

dave foster is still making records
was the lead guitarist not rod hill ?

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 17:11   #68
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechy View Post
dave foster is still making records
was the lead guitarist not rod hill ?
Think you've got that wrong beechy, Fossy was the bass guitar when the group was first formed and the lead was not Rod Hill it was a lad called John Hill he live in a little shop on Higher Antley Street, Rod Hill was always a Lead Guitar, he used to live on Hornby Street Ossy he might still be there, I know he used to give lessons as well. The reason Im so sur on these facts was that I was at all thei practice sessions and all their gigs in the early years. Tony and Ian Alveston were my mates, I went right through school with Tony rom St. Mary' Ossy when we were 5 year old until we left Holy Family at sixteen, in this time we were in the same class apart from 3 months at Holy Family
Old 31-01-2008, 17:50   #69
Senior Member+

The Warriors' line-up was Jon and Tony Anderson on vocals, Mick Brereton on lead guitar, Rod Hill on rhythm guitar, Dave Foster on bass and Ian Wallace on drums.

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 18:06   #70
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechy View Post
The Warriors' line-up was Jon and Tony Anderson on vocals, Mick Brereton on lead guitar, Rod Hill on rhythm guitar, Dave Foster on bass and Ian Wallace on drums.

That was the line up when they went full time pro, but when they first started the line up I put in an earlier post was ho they started because there was a falling out between Tony and Ians Father and Fossy and Derek Thornhill's Fathers and thats when Rod Hill came in and Jon and Tony. Tony and Ian and John Hill then formed a group called Tony and the Tea Leaves, there first gig was at Spring Hill dance hall one saturday night and the week after at the ambulance drill hall on Bull Bridge
Old 01-02-2008, 10:25   #71
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

when they went pro, recorded "You Came Along" on Decca,didn,t do much cos it was crap,mate has the single.
Old 01-02-2008, 13:04   #72
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
With regards to the Warriors, I remember when they first started before Jon and Tony Anderson the original line was singer Tony Alveston, Lead Guitar John Hill, Rytham Guitar, Ian Alveston, Bass Guitar Dave Foster, and Drummer Derek Thornhill. They practiced at the old Springhill Car Clud place not far from Holy Family (Mt. Carmel) they played local working mens clubs, but had to get special permision to play as thy were all still at school, I would say round about 61 or 62
A new member named Tony Alveston has joined today --I wonder if it is he.

PS he isn't on the member list but I swear blind I saw him on 'who is on line'

Last edited by MargaretR; 01-02-2008 at 13:08.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 17:32   #73
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
A new member named Tony Alveston has joined today --I wonder if it is he.

PS he isn't on the member list but I swear blind I saw him on 'who is on line'
Your spot on Magrgaret I've just had a look at people who have visited in he last 24 hours and Tony's name this there
Old 04-02-2008, 07:56   #74

Well then why the mystery, Will the real Tony Alveston stand up.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 03:53   #75
God Member

just watched a TV program and it featured one of the sons of either Eddie or Finbar Fury (an Irish folk act from the 60s) and it got me wondering if there is a list/record/diary anywhere of the acts that performed at the jazz club over the years , only folks who I could imagine having one is the owners/managers ...or a local booking agent .........are any of these folks still around or do any users of Accy web know who these folks are , and are able to ask them if they have any paperwork rat-holed away somewhere .
I'm trying to remember if they (the jazz club management) ran any weekly ads in the Observer and if old back copies are available for viewing , just an idea , it would be nice to know who had and when they appeared, just for owd sentimental reasons
thanks
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..