Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-03-2008, 09:00   #76

Re: Jazz Club

Thats a fantastic idea Steely, Like I said on another thread, there must be hundreds of folks out there who have there own stories to share from the 60s, just like us.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-10-2008, 22:13   #77
Junior Member+

wow - a coming of age it was at the jazz club! first introduced to cherry vodka (vishieuska or something) by stew hartley. riverside jazzband (fred and his brother melvyn), impressing the girls from the catholic grammar in ossy with a packet of disque bleu which used to last a month. once walking back home stopped by cops who asked (ever been in trouble before?"..."before what?" I asked cheekily which didn;t go down too well. still had the disque bleu fags when saw wayne fontana.mindbenders at con club-fab!
ozzyroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2008, 08:24   #78

Her is a momento,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gauloises_disque_bleu_caporal_filtre_s_20_s_france.jpg (47.1 KB, 23 views)
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2008, 09:30   #79
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Her is a momento,
That is a blast from the past Alan, haven't seen them for yonks, remember smoking them on holiday abroad
Old 05-12-2008, 21:26   #80
Junior Member+

Alan G I use to smoke Disque Bleu, brought loads back from various caving holidays in France. I also saw Paul Simon at the Wednesday night Folk Club I can't quite remember the name of the LP he was selling, but it was just before he teamed up with Garfunkel(not sure if I've spelt that right?) Any one remember the Oldham Tinkers?
john conway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 21:33   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by john conway View Post
Alan G I use to smoke Disque Bleu, brought loads back from various caving holidays in France. I also saw Paul Simon at the Wednesday night Folk Club I can't quite remember the name of the LP he was selling, but it was just before he teamed up with Garfunkel(not sure if I've spelt that right?) Any one remember the Oldham Tinkers?

See messages #63 to #65.
flashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 18:33   #82
Junior Member+

Cheers Flashman, Paul Simon also asked if we'd mind if he did a few songs with one of his mates, I'd like to think it was Garfunkel but maybe that's just wishful thinking. Anyone out there remember who the other guy was? This was also around the time Accrington Caving Club was going, they use to meet in the Black Abby, most of the local cavers and climbers generally turned up at the Folk Club on Wednesday night. On our coach trips up into the Dales the we use to sing Irish Rebel songs until the troubles, that and rude rugby songs.
john conway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 14:09   #83
Junior Member+

Had my first (underage )pint there!!
accysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 19:21   #84
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by accysam View Post
Had my first (underage )pint there!!
Never ealised there was anyboby over age up yon in them days
Old 02-03-2011, 00:34   #85
Junior Member+

long time after earlier posts, but i remember the accy jazz club with great affection. where else could you go aged 17 and get served a vodka vybrova (?) cherry vodka which my great friend stewart hartley turned me onto. music from the trad lads - melvyn and his bro on drums and chance of a snog after!
I'd love to know where my love of that time patricia of rishton is now.
ozzyroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:53   #86
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzyroma View Post
long time after earlier posts, but i remember the accy jazz club with great affection. where else could you go aged 17 and get served a vodka vybrova (?) cherry vodka which my great friend stewart hartley turned me onto. music from the trad lads - melvyn and his bro on drums and chance of a snog after!

probably a Granny (or these days being a Rishtoner even a great Granny) with varicose veins using a Bus pass to go collect her pension ....... nowt stays the same , it's gone , past history .. no looking back
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:44   #87
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
probably a Granny (or these days being a Rishtoner even a great Granny) with varicose veins using a Bus pass to go collect her pension ....... nowt stays the same , it's gone , past history .. no looking back
probably correct, but still great to reminisce, i met one i hadn't seen fer oer 40 yrs about 12 months or so ago, had a great time laughing n remembering. was good to hear how she had got on ect.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:06   #88
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
phew I hope Mozzy don't read this post, sure he said only beautiful people live in Grand Duchy of Rishton
Old 02-03-2011, 10:08   #89
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzyroma View Post
Stewart Hartley, now thats a chap I ain't seen for many a long year, although he still lives in Ossy, I think
Old 05-11-2013, 08:33   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by john conway View Post
I was also at Accy Jazz club that night. I remember it being packed.
Such memories.
Dave Birch is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..