Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-08-2012, 18:12   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Bold Street Working Man's Club in the 70's!

[QUOTE=cashman;1010176]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
Before your time maybe mate. Twas a little Duttons House just across Washington St past slingers Butchers shop.
The army cadets meet there now. I have always had it that's its the building where they had the meting to form Accrington Stanley.
kestrelx likes this.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-08-2012, 01:17   #32
Yank in King Art's Court!

We were there in 2006. I don't believe I made it back when I came over later.

It was very special to go by his place at 12 Oswald Street then imagine him and my Aunt Maude (her with one leg) walking there and maybe stumbling home after dark!

In letters home he never mentioned which Pub he was frequenting. Probably cause my Mum was upset that "grampa Hall was going out drinking every night." I guess she didn't understand the Pub concept!

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 15:30   #33

dear Mr Kestralx...Seen the post of yours and those of others and I am happy to bring it back to life..as I frequented Bold street ,the Vulcon,peepers, the Regent and Lodestar to watch pubgroups in Blackburn in the 70s.I was obsessed with Strife at the time..I remember Gordon Rowly and his hairy boots and bass playing..Got a single called from Strife called School i had played at peepers disco in Blackburn..they were very popular as a pub group with a massive follwing..Aslo arbre funnily enough..They were like Eagles i rememberr..As for Scoprions they are now my fav group..remember the poster at the Bold street club but didnt see them..Thought it was just a false memory but happy it isnt...If only..Scorpions have a 50th anniversary tour this year only in Uk at Maidstone but throughtout Geramany & Poland..
kestrelx likes this.

Last edited by JC4LAB; 20-12-2014 at 15:35. Reason: spellings
JC4LAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 18:15   #34
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
I know you weren't there but anyone remember New Years Eve 1976 - I remember being drunk on that night.
If you can remember it KestrelX then you weren't properly drunk!...hic!
kestrelx likes this.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 12:23   #35
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC4LAB View Post
dear Mr Kestralx...Seen the post of yours and those of others and I am happy to bring it back to life..as I frequented Bold street ,the Vulcon,peepers, the Regent and Lodestar to watch pubgroups in Blackburn in the 70s.I was obsessed with Strife at the time..I remember Gordon Rowly and his hairy boots and bass playing..Got a single called from Strife called School i had played at peepers disco in Blackburn..they were very popular as a pub group with a massive follwing..Aslo arbre funnily enough..They were like Eagles i rememberr..As for Scoprions they are now my fav group..remember the poster at the Bold street club but didnt see them..Thought it was just a false memory but happy it isnt...If only..Scorpions have a 50th anniversary tour this year only in Uk at Maidstone but throughtout Geramany & Poland..
Hi JC4LAB (if your still around) I remember Abre (did they have a song called "The Devil is calling" or was that a lyric?) well they had some good songs but funny thing is I can't find anything by them on You Tube or mention of them on Google, they have vanished. I think they were from Northumberland or Newcastle saw them a few times. Nor can I find mention of Strife either.

Yep Scorpions played there twice I think once when they had first LP out and again when their second one came out. I remember the guy who ran it was Jack Bradshaw - I think he booked the bands and ran the music nights his wife worked down the Job Center.

Last edited by kestrelx; 10-09-2016 at 12:26.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 13:23   #36

6 or seven of us used to travel over to Bold Steet Workers every Sunday from 1972 onwards and enjoyed some great nights watching bands. Many of the names have ben erased by the passing of time but I do recall a duo from Sarf London called Burlesque. They consisted of a saxophonist and a brilliant guitarist called Billy Jenkins who went on to become a very well respected jazz guitarist.

Very fond memories now of a great night out in a small, friendly venue.

Always had to rush out at the end of a set to catch the last bus to Waterfoot.
paulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 19:34   #37
God Member

The only band I can definitely remember (I think!) seeing at Bold St WMC were The Strawbs. Didn't see much of them though as I recall it was heaving upstairs.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 20:34   #38
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
The only band I can definitely remember (I think!) seeing at Bold St WMC were The Strawbs. Didn't see much of them though as I recall it was heaving upstairs.
Yer better than me exile, i cant remember 1 band and i was up yon pretty regular mid 60s to early 70s.
Old 18-05-2017, 15:31   #39
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Yer better than me exile, i cant remember 1 band and i was up yon pretty regular mid 60s to early 70s.
I can't remember Strawbs but I can remember Stray or was it Strife? Stray and Strife I think both played there many times.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 17:22   #40

arbre and strife..two bands i enjoyed at Bold street 1977 ish..
kestrelx and cashman like this.
Old 25-06-2017, 17:40   #41
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Long after my time never seen em.
Old 26-06-2017, 08:43   #42

Week after seeing Strife at Bold street followed em to the Lodestar.
a few good memories of that place too..Remember Boomtown rats first ever uk gig there
Dont remember any punk at bold street though..

Frist UK Gig - Lodestar, Ribchester - The Boomtown Rats
Old 20-07-2018, 23:27   #43

went to bold street every sunday saw scorps 2or 3 times strife every christmas with ray phillips's women saw cozy powel SOB (saxon) and many more well known bands
kestrelx likes this.
lemmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 13:13   #44
Senior Member+

Strife were superb!
The lead guitarist played a white 'Triangular' shaped guitar. A few of us went to some of their other gigs near Liverpool.
'Gravy Train' were my all time favourite group at Bold Street!
...."Ballad of a peaceful man' was their best rock ballad!

"Every time I gaze upon the market square.
I see a monument erected to the dead who fell in war!
Pardon me for crying but I've seen the sight before,
....and I hope it never comes again!"
"Make your mind up it's your only chance.
To live in peace or set the world on fire!"

I dislocated my collar bone falling over in the middle of Burnley Road on the way home after one of their gigs!
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 07:31   #45

I remember Southerland Brother minus Quiver, Magna Carta. All the acts were advertised in the Observer. I recone there is book to be written on the Jas Club and Bold Street.
Count Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..