Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-06-2011, 22:06   #16

Re: Chinese restaurants in Accrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
OK , jumping over from the first kebab shop , what was the first Chinese restaurant (sit-down place,waiter service , not take away ) in Accy , I'm thinking it was the place on Church st ? (between the Commercial and the Bridge on the opposite side) across from the Arcade entrance , thinking mid/late 60s you could get a 3 course evening meal for 4/- (four shillings) per person , expensive place to impress a date when you were an apprentice on £4 a week , anyone remember the name

going back to the days when you could get a 'smart' suit from Burtons opposite the Market Hall for £7 paid off at 8/- a week
I've got a feeling that it was called the Happy Garden and was replaced sometime in the late 70's by the Standard Tandoori - a great place to eat but sadly closed for 97 minor health and hygene issues.
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-06-2011, 22:25   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by egg&chips View Post
I've got a feeling that it was called the Happy Garden and was replaced sometime in the late 70's by the Standard Tandoori - a great place to eat but sadly closed for 97 minor health and hygene issues.
Yer wrong mate the "King Wah" on blackburn rd next to gibsons sports shop, was open first in early 60s.
Old 28-06-2011, 22:29   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Yer wrong mate the "King Wah" on blackburn rd next to gibsons sports shop, was open first in early 60s.
Mebbe so Cashy, but Steeljack is thinking of the one that was on Church street. I used to be so adventurous in there ordering prawn omelette and chips. Ahh a true taste of the orient.
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 23:03   #19
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
going back to the days when you could get a 'smart' suit from Burtons opposite the Market Hall for £7 paid off at 8/- a week
Burtons?...Burtons?...had you no class, SJ? Ernie McNoes, last block on the right before the railway arch. Single breasted, waisted, slanted 3" pocket flaps, ticket pocket, 6 button cuffs, 12" side vents, parallel trousers...the dog's bollocks! Ask Al Gilmartin!
Old 28-06-2011, 23:06   #20
Give, give, give member

I remember the one on Church Street, just, but never ate there.

In the early seventies we used to go to the one in Blackburn, over the indoor market, facing where Morrison's is now.

It was massive, with never anyone else in.

Great food, and value though.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 23:09   #21
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Burtons?...Burtons?...had you no class, SJ? Ernie McNoes, last block on the right before the railway arch. Single breasted, waisted, slanted 3" pocket flaps, ticket pocket, 6 button cuffs, 12" side vents, parallel trousers...the dog's bollocks! Ask Al Gilmartin!
He was there a long time.

When did he close?

I remember it.

My uncle, another AGS old boy, Duncan Threlfall, used to still come over from Bolton-le-Sands, to get his suits from there.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 23:10   #22
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by egg&chips View Post
Mebbe so Cashy, but Steeljack is thinking of the one that was on Church street. I used to be so adventurous in there ordering prawn omelette and chips. Ahh a true taste of the orient.
Went in yon the night i got engaged, that twas early 70s, the king wah, which became Sun Wah i think was gone then.
Old 28-06-2011, 23:19   #23
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
He was there a long time.

When did he close?

I remember it.

My uncle, another AGS old boy, Duncan Threlfall, used to still come over from Bolton-le-Sands, to get his suits from there.
His son took over. Dunno when he closed, but the shop was still going in the mid-70's.
Old 29-06-2011, 00:45   #24
God Member

Quote:

McNoes came later when I grew up and became 'suave', was 19/20 , still an apprentice but had graduated up to the princley sum of £8 a week
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 08:44   #25

The one over Blackburn market was the Yin Kin, I think. The food was good, what is it now ?. Yea Wyn, Erni McKoes, made me some great suits & Jackets,but by god did he have bad breath, but got my first ever suit from John Collier, ( the window to watch ). Oh yea and Erni always put a tanner in the top pocket for luck.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 09:00   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I used to have my own private tailor in those days, he was once the tailor at the Ossy Co-op and left to set up business working from home, he was called Ricky, can't remember his surname but he lived near to Sacred Heart church, he made me some superb 3 piece suits in those days and at very reasonable prices too
Old 29-06-2011, 09:08   #27
God Member

That expensive ex I had bought suits from Guiseppi Alessi
Retirement will suit man who clothed us for 40 years | Accrington Observer - menmedia.co.uk
(whilst I made my own clothes - more fool me!)

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 21:21   #28
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
I thought that the one that was on Blackburn Road as you are going out of Accy on the right, just before you get to the viaduct was possibly the first (next to the then Gibson's Sports) ? Can't remember what they were called either.
It has been a chinky for ages its now called ho lee garden has been for at least 25 years
Old 29-06-2011, 22:18   #29

If my memory is right .......
The Chinese on Blackburn Road was open in 1958, as I can recall going in on Sat nights (after Joe Morts).
Bloody eck it was only just under the bridge, short walk.
An old Pal Brian Watson (lived on Bradford St) & I plotted to "go to sea" on the Blue Funnel Line whilst having as Chinese there.
Never happened - I joined the Army and we had a Chinese there before my first posting abroad in late '59.
Brian ended up in Jersey as a Concierge at a large Hotel - still there I believe.
accybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 22:31   #30
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accybill View Post
If my memory is right .......
The Chinese on Blackburn Road was open in 1958, as I can recall going in on Sat nights (after Joe Morts).
Bloody eck it was only just under the bridge, short walk.
An old Pal Brian Watson (lived on Bradford St) & I plotted to "go to sea" on the Blue Funnel Line whilst having as Chinese there.
Never happened - I joined the Army and we had a Chinese there before my first posting abroad in late '59.
Brian ended up in Jersey as a Concierge at a large Hotel - still there I believe.
i went in once from morts, but that would be 62.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..