Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-03-2004, 22:23   #1
Apprentice Geriatric

‘Passion Express’ aka Blackpool Belle

I recently bought myself a CD of The Houghton Weavers and on it is the Blackpool Belle – a song about the ‘Passion Express’ from Blackpool to all stations to Colne. As I recall it took about an hour to get to Accrington and honest we did put the bulbs back in their sockets.

I remember it well. Does anyone else have memories of coming back from Blackpool on a Saturday night on the ‘Passion Express’?
Old 15-03-2004, 07:46   #2
God Member

Re: ‘Passion Express’ aka Blackpool Belle

I take it this train service was not Virgin......
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2004, 20:17   #3
Apprentice Geriatric

Richard Branson wasn’t even born when the ‘Passion Express’ sped from Blackpool eastwards. Did I say sped? More like crawl because the dozen or so coaches pulled by a monster steam engine and crewed by an engine driver, fireman and guard knew that their charges were youngsters on a night out and they had to do their canoodling before getting home.
Old 16-03-2004, 10:49   #4

Oh it sounds straight out of a Mills and Boons novel, how romantic.
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2004, 12:27   #5
mez
God Member

ooo my mum used to travel on that one so she used to tell me,mmm didnt tell me wot went on though///
Old 16-03-2004, 12:28   #6
God Member

I think Growler would have enjoyed it....
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 04:11   #7

1948 -- Saturday night excursion from Burnley Bank Top (Central now) station to Blackpool I believe at 6 pm -- ticket included admission to Tower Ballroom -- return train leaving Blackpool Central station at 11 pm -- if you missed that train (some did) you had to wait for a train the next morning -- usually sleeping in a shelter on the Prom.

I missed it a couple of times, once walking back to Burnley through the night and early morning.

James Pickering
http://www.jp29.org/

Last edited by jamesicus; 07-04-2004 at 13:07. Reason: correction
jamesicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 08:10   #8

Smile Re: ‘Passion Express’ aka Blackpool Belle

To tell the truth,so my mother said.I Was conceived on the back of the passion xpress
gillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 15:45   #9
Senior Member+

I remember it well, pretty sure the fist stop was Church and then all stations to Colne, another train left shortly afterwards that went to Blackburn. Once finished with diamond shaped bruises all over my back - my cousin and his mates dragged me and the girl I was with into their compartment - it was full so i was thrown up onto the luggage rack with her on top of me - an interesting journey - 1954 or so
Old 22-07-2009, 12:27   #10

Hi there,

talkbackTHAMES Television are producing a new series for BBC 2 (working title Great British Train Journeys) featuring Michael Portillo. We would love to hear from people who remember the "Passion Express" in its heyday - or perhaps your parents met each other on one of the journeys!

If you or anyone you know is interested in telling their stories, please contact [email protected] or call 020 7691 5613.

Many thanks!
talkbackTHAMES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 14:15   #11
God Member

WOW - here's your chance of 15 minutes of fame
I wasn't allowed to ever go on it - strictly well fetched up, I was.

...but from what I knew of the 'shinaneggings' on that train, not many may admit what they got up to (at least the women won't - the men might)

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 14:47   #12

Remember it well. Three shillings and ninepence return from Accy and free entrance to the Tower or the Winter Gardens. Dancing to Geraldo or Joe Loss.Sometimes it was Ted Heath and his Band. Do you remember Dickie Valentine and Lita Roza?Great value for money and better still if you had your girl with you
Jim Procter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 16:07   #13
Resting in Peace

I can remember my Mother and Dad saying they used to got on the train every weekend and they used to get free entry to the tower like Jim said, they were nuts about ballroom dancing, unfortunately it didn't rub off on me
Old 27-07-2009, 10:15   #14

Hi there,

Thank you for your responses! Please, if anybody would like to have a quick chat with me about it on the phone, can they give me a shout on 020 7691 5613? I'll happily call you straight back to save your bill.

The series will basically be telling the story of how the railways shaped Britain. Michael Portillo will be travelling through Blackpool on one of his journeys, and will be visiting the Tower Ballroom. We would love to hear from people who travelled on this train route - the programme is going to air at 6.30pm on BBC 2, so the content and tone will be quite mild!

Many thanks once more.
talkbackTHAMES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 09:22   #15

hi all
this programme is on in jan/2010 at 6-30, look out for my very good friends norma and norman who are interviewed by michael portillo on there
butty is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..