Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2004, 05:38   #1

Trip to Accrington

As you know(from other posts) I have been away from Accy for more than 40 years. In 1988, I had occasion, for various reasons, to visit the U.K., in company with my wife. Firstly N.Ireland, which was scary and then Glasgow. My wife and I were on a tight schedule but since we had to get from Glasgow to London Heathrow, we decided to complete the journey by train( being a railway lover and old trainspotter). The ticket office had told us that it was cheaper to get a return rather than a one way because it was cheaper. I didn't know the logic of that but who was I to argue with B.R. I decided to stop off at Accy for a brief spell for a nostalgic look and introduce my Aussie wife to the local delights . We got off at Preston and caught this two carriage 'thing'(not like the old days with nice 3rd class and steam) that was to take us there. On the way I told her that we would shortly come into a station called 'Oswaldtwistle' She burst out laughing and said that I was pulling her leg. When we got to there station she just stared at the station name in utter disbelief. We eventually got to Accy station and I remarked "OH NO!" My wife says'whats up' I said 'they've taken the Manchester line away.' Says she 'is that all, I thought you were having a heart attack'
Anyhow, we rang our friends, Joe and Beth Addison who picked us up and we stayed with them in Birkett Rd. On the way throught town I noticed that things looked a lot cleaner(like a patchwork quilt of colour) than the dirty old sooty blackness I remembered. Then I recalled that in the early 60's there was a push for 'smokeless zones' when everybody had to stop burning coal. Looked a success to me.
The next day I decided to take my wife up my beloved coppice. We went via peelpark school and hotel and on the way up the path that's still there, I noticed lots of shrubs and bushes. I told her that there didn't used to be one dam bush here when I was a kid. Eventually we reached the top and the view was breathtaking. I looked across Accrington and said "My God". Wifey said "What now"? I said "Accy is in a bloody valley" I suppose logic dictates that it is in a valley since the Hyndburn runs through but I could never see that as a kid because of all the smoke and haze. I was totally amazed. I had my binoculars and I reckoned I could see Blackpool Tower.(well not really ) I could see for miles past what was visible in the old days. It was probably Darwin tower. After that revalation we continued to walk towards what I used to know as Hapton Scouts. Now I have just asked my wife if she can recall seeing the hut that used to dominate the skyline. She says she didn't see a hut. I thought it was still there.(memory) Perhaps someone can settle that for me by the date it was taken away. A bit further on we came across some sort of monument about 4 ft high. From memory there was something wrong. It either had been vandalised or the plaque had been stolen. Don't know where this memory comes from but it's there.(please help with info). A bit further on and I swore very loudly. Wifey says"oh for goodness sake, what this time?" Says I " Some silly sod has built a freeway(motorway) here cutting t'coppy in two". I was absolutely beside myself with this, but I suppose it's what one calls 'progress'!!!
Looking towards Burnley Rd I noticed that the rectangular reservoir, which had always been full in my youth was now empty. I had lived briefly in Huncoat(sawdust city)1946, and had been frightened with stories not to go near it because it was a 100 feet deep. Ha Ha. Now I discovered it couldn't have been more than six. I also tried to find an old shale quarry (probably the first that Redac used. But can't recall seeing it. This used to be a favourite fishing hole of mine . It contained huge Perch which I was never able to catch. I learned that Accy Anglers had taken it over as one of their fishing grounds but I am hopelessly out of chronological order on this one.
To be continued.... my brain hurts just like others in here trying to recall things although this adventure isn't that long ago.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-12-2004, 05:51   #2

Re: Trip to Accrington

Mewmories...... eh Terry. 1988...that's now a long time ago. You wouldn't believe the changes that have happened since then. Remember its 16 almost 17 years ago.

Didn't know you were an ex-trainspotter...so was I. Spent many a happy (and lonely) hour, on Church station or near Accy Sheds waiting for a "Namer" to come through.

I may be in your neck of the woods next winter. Sydney.... to see our son, plus a little tour of the little island of Australia!!

If you come over again. Bring some armour and get a bouncer for protection at night!!!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 06:24   #3

Hi Darby. Fortunately for me, I lived next to the railway line not far from the iron bridge.(Burnley line) I used to see all the weekend specials coming through to Blackpool and other places. Lots of 'namers then. Preston was my usual haunt or crewe. I am surprised in hindsight that my parents let me go so far afield. There was always one namer that frequented Accy. It was 'India' a jub.

Don't know if you remember it?
Old 03-12-2004, 06:40   #4
Super Moderator

Yeah, I remember "India". It was quite a rarity to see a namer going through Accy. Usually, just mickeys, black-5's and crabs (I know this will all be double dutch to non-trainspotters). Spent many a happy hour sneaking round Charter Street sidings.

Terry, I bet you had a shock when you walked past Peel Park and saw that what was once a well-appointed football ground had completely vanished, stands, floodlights and all.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 07:56   #5

Yeah Winonie I can remember walking up past the Peel Park area and there no pictures in my head at all of the area which must have been the footy ground. I am bound to have made remarks about it to my wife because I used to watch Stanley regularly. But for the life in me I can't recall any reaction I may have had
Old 03-12-2004, 09:04   #6
Super Moderator

Incidentally, Terry, next time you come over whenever that may be, you might care to take a look at the IES (or even take in match). You'd be surprised at how the phoenix has risen from the ashes.
Old 03-12-2004, 10:22   #7

Yeah I remember the Jubilee's and India, as I then lived on India Street.

W-H: The sidings on Charter St., and the sheds. Use to get chased away most times though. Now there's a small housing estate where the sidings use to be!!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 10:30   #8
Super Moderator

Yes, I've seen it and it's so quiet round there now. I always remember the area as a cacophony of noise from the engines working up a head of steam, the trucks being shunted around, the coal rattling through that giant concrete coal bunker and, of course, the machine sounds from Bulloughs' Charter Street works.
Old 03-12-2004, 10:51   #9
Senior Member+

Terry, would Joe Addison be from fern gore area originally, my grandma who would be 104 if still living was called Addison before she married her name was martha and married John Edmundson in the 1920s.
Old 03-12-2004, 11:18   #10

Janet. Oh gee whiz I don't know. They both would be in their 70's now. Beth used to be manageress in the store(woolworths I think) that was built on top of the sunken gardens in Broadway. A friend of my mothers. She married Joe soon after that. Joe, as far as I know worked in Accy from that period. A storeman (engineering somewhere) I don't know anything about his history before that. Sorry I can't help. Wish I could. They live at 14 Birkett Rd, if you want to follow up.
Old 03-12-2004, 11:27   #11
Senior Member+

I know my grandma had a brother called joe, he moved to Australia donkeys years ago i did'nt know him, thought he could be related to the joe you know.Next time you speak to your friends you will have to ask them, you never know we may be distant relatives.
Old 03-12-2004, 15:01   #12
Beacon of light

Terry...you serious.....your aussie wife laughed at the name Oswaldtwistle.....What about Murwillumbah?????? Woolloomoolloo (not sure if I spelt that right)..... but as you must know there are some real strange place names on your side of the world.
Seriously though...glad you saw the difference......and it is a good view from the top of the coppice. There used to be a lectern sort of thing with a brass plaque on it and it told you all the names of the places when you looked towards the horizon at a particular point.....it pointed out Pendle hill, Hameldon etc.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 15:11   #13

Yes Margaret she laughed. There sure are some wacky names in Oz, mostly aboriginal, but I guess it's what you get used to.
Old 04-12-2004, 17:43   #14
Beacon of light

Like Indooripilly and Mooloolabah.......yes I suppose you do.....I was there 8 weeks ago and if they built a road I would walk it back! Love the bones of the place..... but I suppose that is because my baby sister is there (QLD).
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 19:59   #15

I am sure joe addison went to springhill council school was a big mate of teddy barnes who along with his wife irene are well known singers
keith is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..