Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-12-2004, 19:51   #16

Re: Trip to Accrington

hi all this brings it all back to me standing by the railway at within grove in the early 60s jubs unrebuilt scots queen victories riflemen was often on blackpool spls b1s stembok reindeer also any body remember the railway that used to go from huncoat mine to altham coke works used to go over wooden tressle bridge taking coal to altham used to spend a lot of time in huncoat brick sdgs signalbox near to accy cricket ground used to also spend many hours at rosegrove shed mostly doug dees 8fs jintys trainspotting what a hobby in those long past days
rosegrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-12-2004, 06:40   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosegrove
hi all this brings it all back to me standing by the railway at within grove in the early 60s jubs unrebuilt scots queen victories riflemen was often on blackpool spls b1s stembok reindeer also any body remember the railway that used to go from huncoat mine to altham coke works used to go over wooden tressle bridge taking coal to altham used to spend a lot of time in huncoat brick sdgs signalbox near to accy cricket ground used to also spend many hours at rosegrove shed mostly doug dees 8fs jintys trainspotting what a hobby in those long past days
I know what you mean Rosegrove...but a few full stops would let me get my breath back

Blackpool specials....Stembok I saw one Sunday morning going through Church Station.............Train Spotters.....real ones themdays...Ian Allen Number Books....mi mum threw mine away-........cried for days afterwards
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2004, 16:43   #18

Cool Re: Trip to Accrington

hi anybody remember when accrington loco shed ;closed to steam locos .i know 1963 it was all diesel units no steam. can anbody remember the coal mine in the centre of accy just past the old swimingbaths. just mists of times coming back to me while i have been using this site
Old 21-12-2004, 17:26   #19
Resident Waffler

Is that Scaitcliffe Pit you are referring to?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2004, 07:17   #20
Super Moderator

Accy sheds closed to steam in 1961. It was an important depot in its time - the main depot for the North East Lancs region with sub-depots at Lower Darwen and Rosegrove.

Scaitcliffe pit, at the top of St James Street, closed in 1962 or 63.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2004, 07:28   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris
Accy sheds closed to steam in 1961. It was an important depot in its time - the main depot for the North East Lancs region with sub-depots at Lower Darwen and Rosegrove.

Scaitcliffe pit, at the top of St James Street, closed in 1962 or 63.
I was once told that Eric Morcambe worked at Scaitcliffe pit, during WW2 I believe.

My father-in-law also worked there, and always said that the coal seams were too low, and had too much water in them!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2004, 11:02   #22

Red face Re: Trip to Accrington

thanks darby about info accy steam shed. plus info on coalmine yes thats the one i was thinking of .remember it working you could see the winding wheels back of the baths .and when it closed we used to play in the old buildings the shaft had been filled in yours rosegrove
Old 22-12-2004, 13:10   #23
Super Moderator

We used the old pit buildings as a hangout round about 1964 for a crafty fag, well away from parental observation. We also had a stash of "Parades" (a well-known girlie mag of the 50's/60's) which we hid in one of the old lockers. One day we discovered that some unscrupulous individual had nicked the lot! Wasn't you, was it, Rosegrove?
Old 10-01-2005, 19:35   #24

Lightbulb Re: Trip to Accrington

hi what have they done with the land were the pit and the swimming were , i suppose that chip shop has also gone which was oposite the ,baths oh for a english chip shop not any in birmingham regards rosegrove
Old 10-01-2005, 20:43   #25
Beacon of light

The chip shop across from the baths was great........I can almost taste the lovely hot chips liberally sprinkled with vinegar...... and the lady who ran the shop used to take pity on us because she knew we were from a big family and we used to get broken bits of fish put in with the chips. The whole area has changed and there are offices where the chip shop and the pub used to be. John Smiths Junction Pub. Not sure if anything has been built on the old site of the swimming baths.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 23:25   #26
Resident Waffler

I think the land where the baths used to be is now a car park.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 09:13   #27
Super Moderator

Good chippy, but not as good as the legendary Leonard's!
Old 11-01-2005, 09:22   #28
Senior Member+

the young lads of today probably have the updated versions of parade stashed at the skate park not to far away from the old baths site winnonie harris.and sneek an odd fag LOL
mthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2005, 17:58   #29
Resting in peace

Is there still a swimming pool in Accy? - Oh, I am sorry, a LEISURE CENTRE - as we have to call the baths now. - Or do I have to nip down to the Tinker Brook on a nice morning and frighten the ducks?
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2005, 18:18   #30
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
Is there still a swimming pool in Accy? - Oh, I am sorry, a LEISURE CENTRE - as we have to call the baths now. - Or do I have to nip down to the Tinker Brook on a nice morning and frighten the ducks?
Yes pendy there is & it's only about 100yds from the Stag, so while you're going for a swim David can go for a pint of Staggers real ale.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..