Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-01-2005, 19:17   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Trip to Accrington

sports centre at church nearest
Old 18-01-2005, 12:57   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris
Good chippy, but not as good as the legendary Leonard's!
Ahhhh Lens...That's where the worlds best chips were made!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2005, 13:38   #33
Senior Member+

personnally used to like the chippy on church st.dosnt seem the same now maybe it changed hands
Old 18-01-2005, 14:06   #34

Anybody remember Barnes Street Chippy on Saturday night in the sixties it was packed
out,you had to que for both the sell out and back room cafe.
The best chippie at the moment is Clayton Street chippie at Gt Harwood (bloodie good
stuff),.
accyplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2005, 16:09   #35

I have so many fond memories of going to -- and through -- Accrington in my youth (from Burnley). Going to: Saturday night dances at the Ritz in the late 1940s -- Trying to find a lost love (Accrington girl I fell in love with on holiday at IOM in 1948 - never did find her!) -- Lancashire League cricket matches. Going through: mostly to Blackpool on August Bank Holidays in the 1930s & during the war years -- "Passion Express" Saturday night excursions to Blackpool (Tower ballroom) in the late 1940s -- going to Burnley FC away matches at various destinations in the post-war years -- changing trains to southern destinations.

Last edited by jamesicus; 28-06-2005 at 16:21.
jamesicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2005, 00:29   #36
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris
Accy sheds closed to steam in 1961. It was an important depot in its time - the main depot for the North East Lancs region with sub-depots at Lower Darwen and Rosegrove.

Scaitcliffe pit, at the top of St James Street, closed in 1962 or 63.
an old miner from scaitcliffe told me you could get up into huncoat pit through one of the shafts, hes passed away now but he was known as a straight guy. i was never down it but was at bank hall for a while.
Old 28-06-2005, 20:52   #37

Scaitcliffe pit thats was a place I know a bit about first my late father worked there till he moved to the ncb garage working nights driving one of the two coaches used to take miners to there homes after the late shifts and picking them up for the early shifts secondly my late eldest brother ronnie worked there for quite a long time as an electrician along side albert Illingsworth his mother had a chip shop first in ormerod st then willows lane both albert and my brother worked under mr tom redmayne the pits engineer thirdly I myself was a ncb driver and when things got busy there did the odd load all the coal was off poor quality and put through a crusher at huncoat to be mixed with better coal to make it burn even the coal for the scaitcliffe boiler had to be brought from bankhall burnley The two regular drivers based at scaitcliffe were the late tommy o,brian driving a sixwheeler leyland tipper and the late albert <dodger> green overseeing the whole pit the pit top foreman joe wright who believe me was quite a character
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2005, 21:45   #38
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

interesting recollections keith.
Old 14-09-2005, 21:42   #39
Senior Member+

Lived on Leyland Street in the 70's and a lad from across the road fell through one of them Shed roofs.Must have been about 10 ´then.He was a wild one but not that bad
Old 15-09-2005, 21:13   #40

The lad involved in the shed incident father was a lorry driver who for a while worked for the firm who took over the sheds from british rail that firm being jacks motors which was part of the gilbraith group this was well after the lads fall, as quite a lot of money was spent on making the building waterproof the first thing was of course the roof the second was a 25ton crane as part of the space was for platt saco lowell exports jacks had the contract for all there storage and export transport The third job was the floor as the train lines had to be taken up a firm from rishton did most of the work except the crane that was done by the firm that built the crane morris then an established crane maker Two years in a lot of the space was taken by a firm called TAR RESIDUALS who imported all sorts of chemicals and powders most of it coming through preston docks ask any one who lived in the vicinity about the queue of wagons along charter street For a few years it wa kept pretty full then came the demise of platts and then chemicals started coming in containers that was the beginning of the end TAR RESIDUALS bought part of a dock at goole hey presto there we where gone shut down it is know owned by a steel firm
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 13:04   #41

One of the best Chip shops was on the right hyand side of Whalley Rd,Accrington almost opposite a Methodist Church
keith higson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2009, 06:41   #42

Milton Street, Clayton, theres still a chippy there am I right Kate, it was there a couple of years ago, but it was closed, so do they still put on a good feed??
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2009, 09:11   #43
Resting in Peace

Clayton Street Chippy in Great Harwood used to be a good un too Barry, don't know whether thats still open either but the F & C there were first class
Old 24-09-2009, 19:03   #44
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Milton Street, Clayton, theres still a chippy there am I right Kate, it was there a couple of years ago, but it was closed, so do they still put on a good feed??
Still there Alan .. was going to take a piccie for you tonight to show you how the outside has not changed. Unfortunately, big muscled people sat on that little wall and didn't think they would appreciate it.

Haven't been in for yonks .. think some Chinese people have it now, although the sign still says 'Milton Street Chippie'
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2009, 22:23   #45
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
an old miner from scaitcliffe told me you could get up into huncoat pit through one of the shafts, hes passed away now but he was known as a straight guy. i was never down it but was at bank hall for a while.
There are maps of the old coal workings under Accrington in the library, they should show what you the links were.

Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..