Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-01-2010, 22:22   #31
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Pie shops in Accy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I knew Billy Bowden very well when he had his shop on Warner street.
He had two sons Peter and Phillip. Phillip worked for Bill and Peter had his own pie shop at the bottom of Hood street. When I came to Accrington in 1966/7 I was a good mate of Peter and when he got banned from driving he asked me to work for him driving his car about and doing a bit in the shop making pies. The car was a Vauxhall Cresta reg number PBV 62. He should have kept the number when he changed his car it could read Peter Boden Vehicle.
Peter got all his pudding off Billy and Billy took some pies and bowls of peas from Peter.
Phillip used to come round every morning to deliver the puddings and pick up the pies and peas.
I ahd full use of Peter's car and also did a bit of repping for him trying to sell his pies to shops and pubs. He had a good selection of customers in Accrington, Burnley, Ossy and Church. I got a bit fed up and started work driving for Batty Holt tours Blackburn and then went to Gilbraith Tankers for 30 years till I retired in 1998.

The strange thing abouth the job is the fact that never ever in my life have I eaten meat fish or poultry as it makes me ill but I worked in a pie shop and even convinced potential customers that I had one every day, goodness knows what would have happened if they had asked me to try one.

Gremlin R.T.
was told long ago peter boden had gone living in the mountains Thailand Way, last year someone said he was now back home, perhaps you know Gremlin?
Old 16-01-2010, 10:02   #32
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
I'm trying to picture where the Pie shop would have been on Hood Street, i can recall one at Corner of Horne Street, a long while back but cant remember who had it though!

Best Regards - Taggy
It was a corner shop at the bottom end of Hood street opposite the side of the New Brewery. The side with the door was hood street and the side with no door was Maudsley street. This was in 1966/8. It must have been number 2, I lived at 22 further up, same side.

I was talking to a chap only a few weeks ago when we were having our cars valetted and he said Peter was home for a few weeks but will have gone back overseas now.

Gremlin R.T.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 10:08   #33
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
We'll be seeing you on Master Chef next Beni
Old 16-01-2010, 10:11   #34
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreJoe View Post
There was a very good pie shop and bakery at the corner of Spring Hill Road and Pickup street. They did great pies and sometimes very large pies in 18 inch diameter enamel bowls when you wanted to feed the masses.
Think that was called Joe Macs (can't remember is proper name)can remember the chap was a really big bloke, who ate all the pies
Old 16-01-2010, 12:59   #35
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
We'll be seeing you on Master Chef next Beni
I don't think so,some peoples cooking is called Cordon Bleu. Mine is more Cordoned Off.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 14:23   #36
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
I don't think so,some peoples cooking is called Cordon Bleu. Mine is more Cordoned Off.
Is that before or after you cook it
Old 16-01-2010, 14:40   #37
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
It was a corner shop at the bottom end of Hood street opposite the side of the New Brewery. The side with the door was hood street and the side with no door was Maudsley street. This was in 1966/8. It must have been number 2, I lived at 22 further up, same side.

I was talking to a chap only a few weeks ago when we were having our cars valetted and he said Peter was home for a few weeks but will have gone back overseas now.

Gremlin R.T.
had forgot about that little shop, only used it occasionally, was livin on dowry st at that time, ta fer update on pete.
Old 16-01-2010, 16:15   #38

[quote=johnenglish;777965]Donald Bailey worked as a butcher in accy Market and had a White Lambretta GP125 .
Wyonne do I know you , because it is obvious that you know me.
I am roaming round the streets trying to remember the lads who lived round there .
I remember Alan Chapple and his mum and dad, you must remember Dave Lang who lived opposite me who had a sister called Diane who was about your age.
Give us a clue which street did you live on.[/quote]

I remember Dave & Diane Lang. Did they live on Lang St near the underground??

There was also a good pie shop on the corner of Empress St & Swiss St.

My favourite at the moment is Hopkins bakery on Queen St Gt Harwood.

Jelly Baby

Last edited by jelly baby; 16-01-2010 at 16:22.
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 16:19   #39
Resting in Peace

Didn't 'Greens' have a good reputation at one time for their pies ?

Think they had more than one shop .. can remember they had one on Norfolk Street for a while.

Did they go more into some sort of wholesale/contract work later ? Can remember seeing their vans about.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 16:22   #40
Senior Member+

Quote:

Gremlin R.T.
Yeah remember now..i was getting mixed up between Horne St and Hood St!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 16:26   #41
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

Think they had more than one shop .. can remember they had one on Norfolk Street for a while.

Did they go more into some sort of wholesale/contract work later ? Can remember seeing their vans about.
Were Greens bought out by Hollands many moons ago, or am i thinking of some other firm?

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 17:19   #42

Greens used to have a unit on Brookside ind est near Vine Mill. When I worked up there we used to buy stuff from them.

Jelly Baby

Last edited by jelly baby; 16-01-2010 at 17:23.
Old 16-01-2010, 17:30   #43

Does anyone remember the pie shop on the corner of Lower Antley and Grimshaw St. It was owned by Jack & Millie Brennan, then they sold it to the Kelly's. It was a terraced house and what would have been the front room was a cafe area. Wagon drivers used it a lot. You could also get good pie & peas from Kendals Hotel kitchen. The entrance was down some steps at the front of the hotel at the corner of Fox St & Blackburn Rd, opposite the Imperial.

Jelly Baby
Old 16-01-2010, 17:48   #44
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Were Greens bought out by Hollands many moons ago, or am i thinking of some other firm?

Best Regards - Taggy
Something like that Taggy .. couldn't remember who bought them though. Wonder if they acquired them for their customer base/competition ? Certainly didn't make use of their recipes ...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 17:50   #45
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

Indeed they did,no matter what pie you bought they all tasted the same.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..