Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-01-2010, 12:21   #16
Super Moderator

Re: Pie shops in Accy

PM sent, John.
Old 13-01-2010, 19:06   #17

Thanks I have replied
johnenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 19:35   #18

A very good pie and also other things like sausage rolls pasties and a very good selection of cakes all made on the premises could be bought at the mr and mrs alan presho shop on parker street rishton facing the now empty broadloom carpet works Alan did most of the baking his meat and potatoe pies delicious after the works closed alan retired
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 09:57   #19
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I think that was called Mona's...but if anyone knows different I will stand corrected.

There was also a very good pie shop at the top of Little Blackburn Road....they did delicious corned beef pasties.......and I loved their Russian cake.......I once asked what was in it and the lady who served in the shop said I shouldn't ask....that was because it was all the off cuts of cakes, mixed with Jam and then icing on top.
I too remember that shop but always knew it as Sandras..My mum used to send me for Courting Cake??
groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 10:04   #20
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove View Post
I too remember that shop but always knew it as Sandras..My mum used to send me for Courting Cake??
Courting Cake I haven't heard of that for a very long time, can remember my old Gran making that when I was knee high to a grasshopper
Old 15-01-2010, 13:15   #21
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove View Post
Maybe Sandra took over from Mona....my recollections are of the 1950's.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 14:42   #22
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Courting Cake I haven't heard of that for a very long time, can remember my old Gran making that when I was knee high to a grasshopper
I recall that term being used too when i was a little lad....what actually was "Courting Cake"?

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 14:48   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
I recall that term being used too when i was a little lad....what actually was "Courting Cake"?

Best Regards - Taggy
Dunno Taggy, another one from way back was "Funeral Cake" dunno what that was neither?
Old 15-01-2010, 15:11   #24
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post

Best Regards - Taggy
I think it was a flat cake with jam in the middle, but hay I've slept a lot since my old Grannie used to make it Taggy
Old 15-01-2010, 15:24   #25
Senior Member+

Ah, just like what they'd call a Jam slice nowadays then Jaysay! Be great to know how it got its name.....anyone on here old enough??

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 15-01-2010, 16:00   #26
Resting in Peace

here you go Courting Cake recipe

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 17:39   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
Looks damn good that......Imagine the ammount of pepper Johnny Walker would put on that!!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 15-01-2010, 19:04   #28

There was a very good pie shop and bakery at the corner of Spring Hill Road and Pickup street. They did great pies and sometimes very large pies in 18 inch diameter enamel bowls when you wanted to feed the masses.
MoreJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 19:21   #29
Senior Member+

I knew Billy Bowden very well when he had his shop on Warner street.
He had two sons Peter and Phillip. Phillip worked for Bill and Peter had his own pie shop at the bottom of Hood street. When I came to Accrington in 1966/7 I was a good mate of Peter and when he got banned from driving he asked me to work for him driving his car about and doing a bit in the shop making pies. The car was a Vauxhall Cresta reg number PBV 62. He should have kept the number when he changed his car it could read Peter Boden Vehicle.
Peter got all his pudding off Billy and Billy took some pies and bowls of peas from Peter.
Phillip used to come round every morning to deliver the puddings and pick up the pies and peas.
I ahd full use of Peter's car and also did a bit of repping for him trying to sell his pies to shops and pubs. He had a good selection of customers in Accrington, Burnley, Ossy and Church. I got a bit fed up and started work driving for Batty Holt tours Blackburn and then went to Gilbraith Tankers for 30 years till I retired in 1998.

The strange thing abouth the job is the fact that never ever in my life have I eaten meat fish or poultry as it makes me ill but I worked in a pie shop and even convinced potential customers that I had one every day, goodness knows what would have happened if they had asked me to try one.

Gremlin R.T.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 21:40   #30
Senior Member+

I'm trying to picture where the Pie shop would have been on Hood Street, i can recall one at Corner of Horne Street, a long while back but cant remember who had it though!

Best Regards - Taggy

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..