Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-01-2010, 18:00   #46
Resting in Peace

Re: Pie shops in Accy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
Indeed they did,no matter what pie you bought they all tasted the same.
LOL ... never had one Benipete ... just people talk . You mean their cheese and onion would taste the same as their steak and kidney ..
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-01-2010, 18:14   #47
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Is that before or after you cook it
Not sure about that one but the final crunch came when my Arroz Abanda became Arroz Abandoned.

Sorry I just slipped that one in for the Spanish cheffy ones

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 18:20   #48
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
LOL ... never had one Benipete ... just people talk . You mean their cheese and onion would taste the same as their steak and kidney ..
No that was the sausage and potato(may contain nuts)

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 18:21   #49
God Member

I reckon Hollands pies were better than Greens...still not a patch on most smaller pie shops but I don't know of any chippies that sold really decent pies.
I seem to remember Hollands changing their meat pie recipe during the BSE beef outbreak and started using pork.. I'm not sure if they ever changed back to beef.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 18:30   #50
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Yeah remember now..i was getting mixed up between Horne St and Hood St!

Best Regards - Taggy
I was wondering about that and though I am getting a bit tatty in years I still couldn't recall any shops on Horne street, Riley's snooker were on the side opposite the houses. There was a corner shop lower down Meadow street from the Royal Oak with Guiseppe the tailor opposite it. He made me a few suits in the past and also made a few for the snooker lads when they visited Riley's, Dennis Taylor wore one when he won the world final.
Peter Boden employed about three women (including my wife to be) and a man in the bakery and only last week we were in Barden Mill and a lady came up to my wife and started chatting, she was a van driver for Peter and recognised my wife after all those years.
I looked on Hood street two weeks ago and thank goodness I got out while the going was good and we got a very decent price for our house which was one of the three bigger ones on the street.

One chap lived in the house attached to the bakery and it's door was on Maudsley street, Tony was his name and he started dabbling in second hand ornaments etc and I lost track of him untill a couple of years ago. he lives in one of the grand converted houses on the right a few hundred yards from Portfield bar lights. He has a nice Jaguar and his wife a BMW sports convertable. Big change from Maudsley street eh.

Gremlin R.T.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 00:28   #51

big kenner might have changed hollands pies reciepe to stop mancie climbing in and knicking them
spignific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 09:05   #52
Senior Member+

Holland's pies aint what they used to be in my younger days when this van delivered them.

Wow, I managed to post a picture, must be getting clever in my old age.

Gremlin R.T.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 09:45   #53
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
I reckon Hollands pies were better than Greens...still not a patch on most smaller pie shops but I don't know of any chippies that sold really decent pies.
I seem to remember Hollands changing their meat pie recipe during the BSE beef outbreak and started using pork.. I'm not sure if they ever changed back to beef.
Hollands Pies made of fly's concrete bottoms iron sides
Old 21-01-2010, 18:46   #54

Wink Re: Pie shops in Accy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
Holland's pies aint what they used to be in my younger days when this van delivered them.

Wow, I managed to post a picture, must be getting clever in my old age.

Gremlin R.T.
\it's good to see they make 'em a bit bigger these days
MovedtoBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 20:07   #55

all this talk of pies is making me hungry.....
Old 21-01-2010, 20:54   #56

In the early 80's there was a confectioners on Blackburn Rd, West End called Thomas Ashaski (hope I spelt it right). He made what I can only describe as the worlds finest Meat & Onion pies. When slapped between each side of one of his buttered teacakes (yes i still call 'em teacakes even though I live in Bolton) these were "to die for", "manna from heaven". In fact the day I mashed the pies for the workforce of Arnold Rileys in the spokes of my bike I very nearly did die for 'em. lol.
Old 22-01-2010, 03:25   #57
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spignific View Post
big kenner might have changed hollands pies reciepe to stop mancie climbing in and knicking them
.. to be honest when they put the fence up it did mess up my midnight shopping.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2010, 10:18   #58
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedtoBolton View Post
In the early 80's there was a confectioners on Blackburn Rd, West End called Thomas Ashaski (hope I spelt it right). He made what I can only describe as the worlds finest Meat & Onion pies. When slapped between each side of one of his buttered teacakes (yes i still call 'em teacakes even though I live in Bolton) these were "to die for", "manna from heaven". In fact the day I mashed the pies for the workforce of Arnold Rileys in the spokes of my bike I very nearly did die for 'em. lol.
Arnold Rileys MTB, so you knew Mary, David and Jon
Old 22-01-2010, 20:06   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Arnold Rileys MTB, so you knew Mary, David and Jon
Yes indeed Jaysay I did. If memory serves me right we exchanged a few PMs last year on the subject.
Ian
Old 22-01-2010, 23:02   #60

Pies aint what they used to be,but i must say oddies spud pies are still excellent.
spignific is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..