Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2011, 19:32   #31
Clearly Classy.......

Re: Smell memories

Hand washing dispenser soap in hospitals always reminds me of having my cherrubs. Poison perfume reminds me of Lar-de-Dars in the 90's. Great thread, thanks Kate x

My Gallery My Albums
Romps is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-06-2011, 19:59   #32
Super Moderator

When I was about 4 or 5, my gran used to take me for a regular walk down Charter St, along Pickup St and on Moscow Mill St. There often used to be a sickly sweet smell on Moscow Mill St, which my gran told me was a dog biscuit factory. Was there such a factory over that way back in the 50's or is my memory playing tricks on me?
Old 08-06-2011, 21:25   #33
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
When I was about 4 or 5, my gran used to take me for a regular walk down Charter St, along Pickup St and on Moscow Mill St. There often used to be a sickly sweet smell on Moscow Mill St, which my gran told me was a dog biscuit factory. Was there such a factory over that way back in the 50's or is my memory playing tricks on me?
Yep twas "Sterling Dog Biscuits" had a few mates worked yon mate. was still going in 70s, dunno when it shut, but seem to remember a court case about a fiddle.
Old 08-06-2011, 21:36   #34
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Yep twas "Sterling Dog Biscuits" had a few mates worked yon mate. was still going in 70s, dunno when it shut, but seem to remember a court case about a fiddle.
Cheers, for that, Mr C!
Old 08-06-2011, 21:48   #35
Senior Member+

You could still get that smell in blackburn just off gorse street near the canal there is a dog food/ biscuit factory only problem sometimes it gets mixed with a minty/toffee smell from glisten toffee factory on the other side of the canal ewww
Old 09-06-2011, 09:02   #36
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Sterling the guy that owned it, was a real down to earth bloke, he'd always speak in a morning when he got out of his roller to pick up his newspaper on his way into work
Old 09-06-2011, 13:55   #37

My nostalgic Smell Memory is of leather.My mind is going back to when I was a little lad going to Church Kirk about 1936. All the kids wore clogs at our school. When it was time to have new irons on the clogs I was sent by my Mum to a cloggers in Henry Street.There were great big sheets of leather hanging in roof of the shop.The smell of that leather has stayed with me all my life.Like when you got a new satchel for school, or if you got a new leather wallet.The lovely distinctive smell of leather first came to me in that cloggers shop all those years ago as I waited in the queue for new irons to be fitted to my clogs.
Jim Procter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 20:19   #38
Senior Member+

When there was a Warburton's Bakery on Jacob Street in Acc, used to love walking past that in the morning on the way to school!
Old 10-06-2011, 20:23   #39
Senior Member+

Also remeber an Italian deli that was on lower Water street before the Easthgate demolitions, my dad was a loyal customer and the place smelt wonderfully of freshly ground coffee and Italian salami ! He used to buy the most amazing proepr frankfurters from there, loved it! Would have been on the corner opposite Melbourne House.
Old 10-06-2011, 21:08   #40
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
When there was a Warburton's Bakery on Jacob Street in Acc, used to love walking past that in the morning on the way to school!
No linds the bakery yon was Mosleys, a mate used to work yon on nights in mid 60s n used to nick Manchester Tarts fer us at Black Annies.
Old 10-06-2011, 21:24   #41
Beacon of light

We used to walk down by the bakery on our way home from Peel Park school(we lived in the Woodnook area) we would call at the bakery door and see if they would sell us any squashed cakes......they usually gave then to us...glad to be rid of us little urchins I guess.
We were pleased if we got an iced bun with a cherry on it.......delighted if we got a cream crisp, a vanilla, or a cream horn. Happy days.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 21:33   #42
Super Moderator

Quote:
n used to nick Manchester Tarts fer us at Black Annies.
Strewth, Mr C, was this a boarding house or a bordello??
Old 10-06-2011, 21:49   #43
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Strewth, Mr C, was this a boarding house or a bordello??
no bordello she chucked me out fer sneaking a bird in.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:01   #44
God Member

Ashworths animal products , bottom of Bridge st. in Church , tipper trucks full of non edible animal parts , horns /hooves etc
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:06   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
There was a little shop just off the Rundle Mall that sold British sweets.....coltsfoot Rock Sarsaparilla tablets, barley sugars.....aniseed balls, mint imperials, pontefract cakes.

Don't know if it is still there...haven't been to Adelaide for 7 years or so.

The shop in Gawler Place is still open, and you can still buy all of the above and more.
south aussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..