Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2011, 06:17   #46
Beacon of light

Re: Smell memories

Do you know I racked my brains to try and remember the name of the street.
I knew it began with a G......but the rest of it escaped me.
I took lots of sweeties back to Melbourne for my sister in law, who was hankering after dolly mixtures, Bassetts Allsorts and aniseed balls. I spent a fortune in that shop.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-06-2011, 01:14   #47
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Sorry Tina have to disagree with you on this , think most Canadians I've come across have the distinct traits which idenify them as Canadians , ( most of them were born there, 2nd generation) , so they don't carry any "nostalgic baggage" like their immigrant parents,

Hope Eric comes across this thread , he's an ex Accy/Clayton guy who also lives in Canada and from reading his posts on Accy web I don't think there anyone is of a more Canadian mindset than him

Something which gets my goat both in Canada , Australia and other places where UK immigrants tend to gather is how they complain about "Coronation st" being 6 months or more behind the UK or how they can't find Birds Custard powder ...... sorry folks , you left the UK , adapt live like the locals
Yes I would agree of course that Canada has an 'identity', but only in the sense that it is ' different '. All countries are different from each other.

I don't think all nostalgia is baggage - We collect memories as we go along. It's our story!

I will agree that there are traits that Canadians are more likely to have - Largely on an even keel, laid back, etc. I don't think those traits are purely Canadian.

I see the good in Canada too. It is to me the most beautiful country in all the world. I appreciate the way that people are individuals. They follow no crowd in notable numbers; there is room for EVERYONE. And everyone is welcomed. I am pulled to it. While I grew up in England, I was actually born in Canada, and spent 8 or 9 of my formative years here. From 9 to 20, I spent the other half of my formative years in Accrington. I am soooo much of both .

Please know that no offense was intended - not at all ! I was speaking from my personal experience, and from my own perspective.

Peace.

PS I agree on the Coronation Street and custard complaints - how about being happy that we get Corrie at all, being half a world away !
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 07:37   #48
Resting in Peace

Who can forget the smell of a new Corporation bus ... was it the leather or some sort of cleaning/finishing product they used ? Was very exciting when a new one turned up at your bus stop.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 08:06   #49
Beacon of light

New leather sandals....red ones with a fancy punched design on the front......from Littlewoods in Blackburn, four and eleven. I loved them.......hardly dare wear, them was afraid they would get spoiled.
Old 22-06-2011, 08:59   #50
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
New leather sandals....red ones with a fancy punched design on the front......from Littlewoods in Blackburn, four and eleven. I loved them.......hardly dare wear, them was afraid they would get spoiled.
Bit sad you had to wait seven years between new pairs though.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 10:03   #51
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
Bit sad you had to wait seven years between new pairs though.
We were poor, and rarely got anything new. Everything came from the Jumble sales or hand me downs(from more affluent families)........and the sandals that I referred to were four shillings and elevenpence...though I am pretty sure you knew that all along.
Old 15-07-2011, 17:20   #52
God Member

Today, several times, I have smelt something resembling Fullers Earth Cream.
I have been alone all day and don't have any Fullers Earth in my flat.

The windows have been open most of the day but the smell doesn't seem to be coming from outside.

I looked for an answer on the web (as I do) and am a bit spooked by references to - 'clairscent'.

PS panic over - it is the lilies I bought a few days ago that have opened

Last edited by MargaretR; 15-07-2011 at 17:30.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 17:37   #53
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Today, several times, I have smelt something resembling Fullers Earth Cream.
I have been alone all day and don't have any Fullers Earth in my flat.

The windows have been open most of the day but the smell doesn't seem to be coming from outside.

I looked for an answer on the web (as I do) and am a bit spooked by references to - 'clairscent'.

PS panic over - it is the lilies I bought a few days ago that have opened
Was just going to have a sniff round to see if I could smell out
Old 15-07-2011, 17:42   #54
God Member

I did once smell a ghost (for real!) so I panicked a bit when I read about 'clairscent', and thought that I was now lumbered with yet another version of ESP.

It is bad enough sensing emotions, smelling spooks is a step too far

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 18:17   #55
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
The smell of oil takes me right back to the docks in Newcastle. I was five and we were going on holiday to Denmark.

Just that one smell evokes so many memories, and takes me back through to time thirty six years ago in a flash.
Two other smells that instantly take me back to childhood.

Petrol - going to Mooney's garage with my dad. Although I was always disappointed you didn't get free gifts at a Fina filling staton. No little busts of World Cup players there!

Rubber - the black mask used to give gas, when I had my tonsils out aged three at Accy Vic. Reminds me of my Nan smuggling ice cream in for me afterwards, past the Sister.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 19:44   #56
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I did once smell a ghost (for real!) so I panicked a bit when I read about 'clairscent', and thought that I was now lumbered with yet another version of ESP.

Not that nauseating perfume 'Angel' was it, Margaret...
Old 16-07-2011, 07:24   #57

Redmans on the ccorner of Blackburn Road. Bacon and small baked Hois Loaves we sued to get them on the way home from the swimming baths. Tippings was on Blackburn Road near the Grammer School. Took your cookery list for school and they would measure it all out. Mr Tipping used to deliver the groceries to home and collect on a Friday. Good old days.
Littlepom
littlepom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 08:48   #58
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlepom View Post
Redmans on the ccorner of Blackburn Road. Bacon and small baked Hois Loaves we sued to get them on the way home from the swimming baths. Littlepom
Me too, Littlepom. Think they cost 1 1/2d. Was a toss up between putting 1d in the hairdryer at the baths or buying one of these. Always went home with wet hair..
Old 16-07-2011, 09:33   #59
JCB

This Saturday many year's ago used to be the start of the annual week in Fleetwood . Smell of fish .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 09:43   #60
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
This Saturday many year's ago used to be the start of the annual week in Fleetwood . Smell of fish .
Yep, remember that too ... used to go every year for many years (had 2 weeks ... posh, eh !).

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..