Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-04-2006, 22:27   #1
Resting in Peace

Smell memories

Went into our Marketing Department today, and smelt their top of the range photocopier.

Had a small lamp, when I was little, which we stood in front of during the winter in the hope that it would ward off colds wearing these green goggles.
Didn't give you a tan of course. Just froze as I had a moment of 'recall' if you understand me. Was called a Sunray Lamp.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-04-2006, 22:32   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Smell memories

The smell of oil takes me right back to the docks in Newcastle. I was five and we were going on holiday to Denmark.

Just that one smell evokes so many memories, and takes me back through to time thirty six years ago in a flash.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2006, 22:35   #3
Give, give, give member

Ooopsie I'm off now......

The smell of bread takes me back to childhood, and makes me remember how I didn't want to get up before five o'clock, like my Dad and my Grandpa, to make it.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2006, 22:41   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Ooopsie I'm off now......

The smell of bread takes me back to childhood, and makes me remember how I didn't want to get up before five o'clock, like my Dad and my Grandpa, to make it.
Big trigger, smell, isn't it ? Talking of food, absolutely loved Silverskin pickled onions, used to sneak up in the middle of the night and pinch a few out of the jar, wrap them in a 'proper' hankie, go back to bed and eat them under the covers peeling each layer of skin off with me teeth. Mum always knew of course, must have stunk !!

Always think of this when I smell 'em.
Old 19-04-2006, 22:52   #5
white rabbits

the smell of a newly bathed baby,,,,,i think it was the johnsons soap.....
Old 19-04-2006, 22:56   #6

I prefer the smell of onions cooking on a barbie.........YUMMO..
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2006, 23:30   #7
Member.

Mrs Hamers shop on the corner of Church Street and Johns Street, Church. It always had a very distinctive smell which I’ve only ever smelt once since in 30 odd years. It still comes back to memory occasionally, I always thought it’s was a polish or something like that? I use to go begging for Milk Bottles so I could go and get the penny and a sniff…………..

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2006, 23:42   #8

I remember a grocers shop at the bottom Church St..that used to sprinkle coffee grounds on the floor........their sales of coffee was always astronomical.......twas a pleasure to walk in there........
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2006, 02:57   #9
God Member

I will allways remember the smell from the animal rendering plant (Ashworths ?)adjacent to J T Rothwells on Bridge st. in Church , they used to have open-top truck loads of hoofs/hooves and cow horns delivered ,never found out what the final product was
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2006, 12:56   #10
Resting in peace

May Jolly's shop at the corner of Henry Street and Lion Street smelt wonderful, a mixture of paraffin, linoleum and all sorts of other fascinating things. Yates's confectioners smelt of oven-bottom muffins and hot pies - yummy! Whenever I smell Chanel No. 5 it immediately brings back memories of my mother.

Smell is probably the most potent sense - ask me about all the experiments sometime.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2006, 13:19   #11
white rabbits

On the Freeport in Fleetwood ,there is a shop that sells all kinds of smellies.
Its called "Woods of Windsor "...oh i just love that place
Old 25-04-2006, 17:23   #12
Beacon of light

Firelights...those waxy ones......when i was pregnant I almost ate one (I said ALMOST...I probably would have taken a bite if hubby hadn't walked in and frightened the pips out of me). I never fancied anything edible when I was pregnant....carbolic soap, petrol fumes, jeyes fluid...moth balls were my favourites.....and all those smells bring back memories.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2006, 17:39   #13
Resting in Peace

Mind you, there was nothing like the smell of cotton as I walked through the weaving sheds and cloth rooms to visit my mum and dad. Up to last year, still had the pleasure, until my company had to close down its weaving side.

So now that is only a 'smell memory' of a once great Lancashire industry.
Old 25-04-2006, 18:31   #14
Senior Member+

Rich tea biscuits remind me when i used to help my grandad sort out things in church including tea and biscuits for after the services....i used to get away with eating as many as i liked unlike all the other kids who could only have one, as my grandad was the vicar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
I never fancied anything edible when I was pregnant....carbolic soap, petrol fumes, jeyes fluid.
My craving was pine disenfectant, what is it about chemicals and pregnancy?!

Christmas isn't a season. It's a feeling,Edna Ferber.

check out our wedding pictures taken by the lovely gareth at studio25....
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=619840253

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=619840253
mrskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2006, 18:37   #15
Resting In Peace

Walking down Abbey street as a child, just before the junction of Little Blackburn Road there was a grocers shop on the left named Tippings who sold various kinds of coffee beans and they would grind them for you there and then, (instant coffee was available but not as popular as it is now) and the smell, everytime I smell ground coffee I always think of Tippings Grocers.
Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..