Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-08-2010, 17:19   #76
Give, give, give member

Re: what smells do you remember

Smells I miss.

Pipe tobacco on football terraces, and cigarettes in pubs.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-08-2010, 17:44   #77
white rabbits

going past the STO MIKE coffee factory in Burnley,,,i loved that smell...x
Old 14-08-2010, 17:47   #78
Give, give, give member

Smells that used to make me retch.

The stink of brewing hops as you entered Blackburn, as the bus came on to the Boulevard.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 22:01   #79
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

the one smell that made me wretch especially summer time, was the horrible stink that descended on Church "Early/late 70s" everyone nearly (Me Included) used to blame Blythes Chemicals, until i started yon early 77, n discovered it was not them, but bloody "Ashworths" factory next door on Bridge St, was even worse at bait time fer Blythes employees, twas that bad sometimes ya couldn't even stomach yer bait.
Old 16-08-2010, 09:22   #80
Resting in Peace

With cashy mentioning work, it reminded me of when I was an happyrentice and we had to refurbish a council house somewhere, in what is now Hyndburn, when we opened the door the stench was overpowering, corners had been used as toilets, not just one all of them upstairs and down. in the end the place was stripped back to bare brick. The plasterers put a roughing on, the morning after when we can back there were red blotches all over the now set plaster, Roaches had crawled up inside the plaster when wet and were crushed when it set, that happened another twice, now that is filth
Old 16-08-2010, 13:55   #81
Beacon of light

When I worked in the operating theatres I used to hate the smell of singed flesh....this happened when the surgeon used diathermy to control bleeding vessels.

Didn't much relish the smell of the mortuary and the PM room either. I always had a little jar of Vicks in my handbag for such times as it was necessary to attend these places.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 17:23   #82
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
That was Girone Freres pete, got sacked from yon mid 60s.
My Dad worked there Cashy, later became Pendle Velvets! Thats one of the smells i well remember too, used to run on there to meet him at the Mill when his shift finished! Could smell it on his coat too...which i also used as a blanket in winter!

Other smells i recall is Mums Baking, Plate Jam Tarts or Egg Custards, and a big pan of Cheese n Onion on the go! Baked Bread from Mossleys Bakery on Jacob Street. Tommy Hodsons Toffee Factory on Cotton Street. Smell of Beer on Brewing days on the boulevard in Blackburn as we got off the bus! My Mum having a Twink home Perm on a Friday. Smell of Tar on the roads when we used to pop the Bubbles and get it on our clothes! Candy Floss and Toffee Apples at the Fairground or Seaside. Seafood Stalls on Blackpool Seafront. Printing Inks and Paper when i started work! And Spit Roast Chickens from the Chicken Shop down Accy!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 17:47   #83
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
When I worked in the operating theatres I used to hate the smell of singed flesh....this happened when the surgeon used diathermy to control bleeding vessels.

Didn't much relish the smell of the mortuary and the PM room either. I always had a little jar of Vicks in my handbag for such times as it was necessary to attend these places.
Know how you feel Margaret, was once working at Accy Vic and I accidentally stumbled into the mortuary, wasn't in there long I can tell you
Old 23-08-2010, 19:34   #84
Junior Member+

i remeber my dad taking the frying pan into our yard when he was cooking bacon.He said he wanted to share the smell with those who were not lucky enough to be having a bacon buttie on a sunday morning.
waxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 19:38   #85
Junior Member+

the smell of shoe polish being melted on our electricfire in the bedroom.Dangerous or what?
waxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 12:04   #86
Senior Member+

chicory coffe the only kind we could affordback in the fifties

o and fried spam no bacon back then

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 12:31   #87
Beacon of light

Beechy...would that have been Camp Coffee by any chance?
Old 24-08-2010, 14:04   #88
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Beechy...would that have been Camp Coffee by any chance?
Was there any other fer the peasants in those days? horrible black crap in a bottle.
Old 24-08-2010, 15:09   #89
Beacon of light

My Ma would very infrequently treat herself to a 2oz tin of nescafe(and it would be hidden away in the pantry).......and woe betide if we found it and she found any of us drinking it.
We had to make do with cocoa.
Old 24-08-2010, 16:22   #90
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechy View Post
chicory coffe the only kind we could affordback in the fifties

o and fried spam no bacon back then
Been there Beechy, got the T-shirt and it was Camp Coffee, very occasionally it was Sto-Mike. Still love Spam, especially the smoked version, either fried or as a cold sandwich with picallilli (?)

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..