Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-11-2010, 19:09   #121

Re: what smells do you remember

In the late 19 fourties we lived top of devonshire street and along with westwood street we had to suffer a awful smell from the metcalfes fertilzer plant I am told they are now based in oswaldtwisle hope the stink is not as bad as ours was
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-11-2010, 19:13   #122
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ain't seen that for years
They sell it in Sainsbury's still - which reminds me of the smell of smoke from coal fires as walking up from town in the winter. Coal fires are banned these days, aren't they?
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010, 09:32   #123
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
They sell it in Sainsbury's still - which reminds me of the smell of smoke from coal fires as walking up from town in the winter. Coal fires are banned these days, aren't they?
Ya for about 40 years now mate
Old 09-12-2010, 20:41   #124
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
Nice smell ground coffee .

Then there's the smell of leather at the cloggers .

That Continental bakers that used to be near the bottom of Fielding Lane used to give off that lovely smell of freshly baked bread .
Now that you mention it, I do remember the smell of the cloggers ... used to get my clogs at the shop on Barnes St.

And the River Stink

Not too many of us left that wore clogs ... we are like the USMC: "The Few and the Proud."
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..